You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Man Claims to Own World's Largest Collection of Dinosaur Toys

Started by suspsy, August 19, 2016, 02:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC

What pleasent comments.  To clear the air I never told the writer I had the largest collection, his editor picked the title.  He was referred to me by someone who assumed I had the largest.  I expect I have more than 5,000 given the large number of duplicates.  I try to keep 2 or 3 of most figures.  You have to have herds. If you read the article you may notice I am holding a rare and unpainted CollectA mini Spinosaurus from a special run CollectA did for the Smithsonian Dinosaurs and Dioramas class.  I think the late Jack Arrata and Riff Smith both had larger collections, as did Joe Demarco and Ken Profit before they sold their collections.  My guess is Mike Fredericks and Dean Jankins could rival or exceed my collection but not by a lot.  I am nostalgic about the Marx and MPC figures but I really love the modern Safari and CollectA lines and I still find each years new releases exciting.  PT, teaching classes at the Smithsonian and the forum have been great ways to share the hobby.

thanks Randy       
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Halichoeres

That's a cool write-up and a great project you're participating in, DC. Had no idea you worked for the Census Bureau; no joke, one of my other hobbies is playing around with census data in R.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

To have the largest collection of dinosaurs lot of money and space is needed.

I congratulate this is to be proud person.

DC

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 22, 2016, 10:22:27 PM
That's a cool write-up and a great project you're participating in, DC. Had no idea you worked for the Census Bureau; no joke, one of my other hobbies is playing around with census data in R.

We mainly use SAS but R and Python are becoming more popular.  I do Data admin and work with the Innovation group.  The Smithsonian Dinosaurs and Dioramas classes have been very well received.  On the Dinosaur Collector Site we post the lesson plans, games, diorama making etc if you want to try the same idea in your area.  The Compass enrichment program in Northern Va has started offering classes based on our lesson plans as part of the enrichment program they offer to home school kids.

You can never have too many dinosaurs

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.