News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

I find many of the Battats very good, Parasaurolophus it's still my favorite of that genus. I.haven't seen them in person but Triceratops, Styracosaurus, Maiasaura, Edmontonia, Pachycephalosaurus, those look good to me. The paint applications and the glossy look is the only thing I don't love about the battat, and I'm talking about the Terra series in this respect, because those are the ones I've seen more.

Takama

Quote from: DinoLord on December 16, 2016, 02:21:56 AM
Quote from: Takama on December 15, 2016, 10:28:59 PMHonestly no other brand out there today inspires me more then Safari

Safari and the Carnegie Collection inspired me a lot as a kid, and it's been wonderful to see their offerings grow in quantity and quality. I don't think they're quite like Battat for the reasons Sim pointed out, but they could certainly be seen as a spiritual successor, working to produce the most accurate dinosaur toys on the market.

I think you hit the nail on the head, and used the wrong choice of words in my post.( will admit, i do that way too often)     

Verahin

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 16, 2016, 08:02:56 AM
CollectA and Safari both have a bit of that I think, like Dan and Battat , Safari has Doug and CollectA Anthony. Folks that care about what they made/make.

You accidentally answered my whole point with this. People here is tied to those artists almost on a personal level, be it they were or still are forum members, and that results in the forum being biased in regards of certain brands/lines. Like on the opposite side there's a perceivable aversion to Rebor based on personal issues.

Flaffy

Quote from: Verahin on December 16, 2016, 02:35:22 PM
CollectA and Safari both have a bit of that I think, like Dan and Battat , Safari has Doug and CollectA Anthony. Folks that care about what they made/make.

You accidentally answered my whole point with this. People here is tied to those artists almost on a personal level, be it they were or still are forum members, and that results in the forum being biased in regards of certain brands/lines. Like on the opposite side there's a perceivable aversion to Rebor based on personal issues.
Well it's perfectly fine to have personal opinions based on personal experiences. We can be biased.

Sim

Quote from: Verahin on December 16, 2016, 03:50:53 AM
I know that Safari is an holy cow over here, ok, but Battat, seriously? Couple of models aside you can find better chinasaurs than Battats.

Battat's dinosaur figures have had a very high level of accuracy right from when they were first produced in 1994.  It's only in recent years that figures from another company (Safari) have been consistently as accurate.  It's not just obvious things that Battat figures got right, but small things too like making the tail muscles a good size.  They were getting that right in the 90's, while the Carnegie Collection which started before the Battat line and ended in 2015 never seemed to get that right for their dinosaurs!  Even the Wild Safari line hasn't always got that right, I know the 2012 WS Acrocanthosaurus and Ceratosaurus both have tail muscles that are too small for example.  I also don't know of any of the other main toy companies doing the hands/feet of their sauropods well (i.e. not elephant-like) anywhere near as early as Battat was doing it.

The amount of care and research that went into each Battat dinosaur can be clearly seen by how much the figures get right, particularly at the time they were made (most were released in 1994, 1996 and 1998.  It's also evident when comparing the Battat dinosaurs to the other dinosaur figures that were being sold at the same time.  I actually find most Battat dinosaurs are among the most accurate representations of their species, if not the best e.g. Styracosaurus, Ouranosaurus.

Anyway, if you don't understand what makes something good and liked (in this case the Battat dinosaur line), it isn't fair to make such an extreme statement as, "Couple of models aside you can find better chinasaurs than Battats."  Or were you intentionally exaggerating?  Myself, Takama and DinoLord all expressed praise for Battat.  It's fine if you don't agree with how we feel about Battat, but your post comes accross as mocking that we like Battat.

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 16, 2016, 09:48:41 AM
If I remember correctly, it was the people at Battat that told Dan not to feather the Nanshiungosaurus when he was sculpting it, the people in Battat were misinformed.

Actually, Dan LoRusso has said he chose to not give the Nanshiungosaurus feathers after consulting palaeontologists about it.  He's explained this a few times, for example in Reply #111 and Reply #119 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2494.100

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on December 16, 2016, 03:45:13 PM

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 16, 2016, 09:48:41 AM
If I remember correctly, it was the people at Battat that told Dan not to feather the Nanshiungosaurus when he was sculpting it, the people in Battat were misinformed.

Actually, Dan LoRusso has said he chose to not give the Nanshiungosaurus feathers after consulting palaeontologists about it.  He's explained this a few times, for example in Reply #111 and Reply #119 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2494.100
Ah, thanks. My mistake.  ^-^

Shonisaurus

Comparing the figures Battat with chinasaurs is insulting. On the other hand it was precursors in the realization of precise and scientific figures of dinosaurs along with Invicta and Carnegie Safari.

It is not fair the negative reviews that are spilled on Battat one has to take into account the context of the time and it is still they remain figures quite accurate from a scientific point of view, although with inaccuracies that more of a company of dinosaur toys would wish.

Flaffy

Come to think of it, yeah it's pretty rude to compare something that has a lot of passion and effort put into it (and looks good) to some effortless knock off sold in dollar stores.
So you're comparing these:

to these:

Yeah.

Doug Watson

Actually I wish they were more biased here. If you read carefully reviews of my releases here over the years you will find plenty of people pointing out what they don't like about my pieces and their opinions are just as valid and accepted as those who do like what I do. Heck in this thread alone Sim has gone into great detail in two posts explaining how he "loathes" (say that in the voice of Jim Carry as the Grinch) my recent paint schemes on the 2017s. No one has attacked his opinion here so members are free to have negative views if they wish, much to my dismay.

P.S. If you think Dan got special treatment go back and see the battles he got into when he first came on the forum. He earned the respect he gets here.

Takama

I feel sorry for ever making a comparison with Battat.   Just because i think Safari is a Successor to Battat, does not mean that  ALL of the models should go unappreciated. The Man Dan LoRusso Tried his Damndist to get those models back on the market, and due to his death, we may or may NEVER be able to own any of the New Sculpts he did for the line. or any of the original 90s models that have yet to be Re-Released

To compare Battats to Chinasaurs is an insult to Dan LoRusso and he was a Close friend to me on Facebook. IT was thanks to him that i was able to share what was coming next for the line, should he have lived to this day.

I said my two cents.   

Blade-of-the-Moon

Honestly as Doug has said I think these artists have earned respect, that's hardly a bias. They make a point of listening to others and talking with them.  Those who are friendly and open get more responses than those who are not.  That sums up Rebor's problem in a nutshell to me.   If this forum feels to lean more in favor of one than the other it's simply a case of majority ruling.  Each member is certainly free to express any opinion they desire,  doing so with respect is the difference here, that isn't a bad thing.

Gwangi

My love for Battat has nothing to do with Dan or nostalgia. Although I'm the right age for them I didn't have any Battat toys growing up, didn't even know about them. It was only once I had started collecting as an adult that I recognized Battat, because I can recognize good craftsmanship and also take into context the time they were made.

CityRaptor

I fully agree. Never heard of Battat until I found the forum.

As for the comparasim: Seriously? SERIOUSLY?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Patrx

The trick here is something I think all our reviewers try to do, and something that is valuable in discussions - blending honest criticism with respect. Respect for the art and artists we appraise here and respect for other contributors. Each of us has our individual biases, and that's not really a problem. This should be a place where people can express their opinions without fear of reproach, so long as they express themselves politely and respectfully. Having folks on the board that represent the artwork in question doesn't mean we don't get to criticize anymore, but it does help to remind people that there are real artists involved here who put a lot of work into these things. Plus, it grants us insight into the reasoning and inspiration behind certain design choices, which can affect our opinions of the final pieces.

For example, I initially criticized the lack of lips on the new Safari Tyrannosaurus. It was a valid criticism, but due to Doug's presence here on the board I was able to learn that he had done research on the matter and had simply arrived at a different conclusion than I had. Even though I continue to disagree, I do think more highly of the piece knowing that Doug did put effort into researching the matter of lips. Other companies may not have the benefit of communicating with folks about why they do what they do. In some cases, they may have the opportunity to communicate, but fail spectacularly at it. So, that's part of where our biases may come from - and while we are not entitled to direct communication with every (or indeed, any) dinosaur toy designer out there, we are entitled to form opinions of their work and express those opinions.

Verahin

I'm sorry, I was not trying to say you're not entitled to have preferences and opinions, I must have explained myself the wrong way. And I should have not insulted Battat.

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 16, 2016, 05:25:48 PM
Actually I wish they were more biased here. If you read carefully reviews of my releases here over the years you will find plenty of people pointing out what they don't like about my pieces and their opinions are just as valid and accepted as those who do like what I do. Heck in this thread alone Sim has gone into great detail in two posts explaining how he "loathes" (say that in the voice of Jim Carry as the Grinch) my recent paint schemes on the 2017s. No one has attacked his opinion here so members are free to have negative views if they wish, much to my dismay.

I don't loathe your paint schemes for the 2017s, and I never said I did.  As I've said, I dislike how similar lots of the recent colour schemes are.  Sometimes I might also dislike certain aspects of a colour scheme but the only example of that I think I've expressed in this thread is regarding the Deinocheirus.  I have been clear that this is my opinion, and that others might not agree, and I even said I'm glad there are people who don't find the colour schemes a problem like I expressed (so it doesn't mean I find them all a problem, it refers to the specific things I expressed I don't like).  I'm always willing to hear your reasoning for choices you make for a figure, including the colour scheme.  It might change my mind about something I thought or it might not.  I would never say something with the intention to make you feel upset, and I try to express my thoughts in a fair way.

Sometimes members have been attacked on here for expressing unfavourable opinons respectfully.  I know I've been attacked for politely saying I don't like some Papo figures, and for simply saying I thought a Rebor Tyrannosaurus knock-off looked nicer than the figure it's a knock-off of due to things like being able to stand on its own and having the pupil correctly in the center of the eye.  I completely agree with what Patrx has said in the post above.  I think attacking members for expressing opinions respectfully is completely unnecessary, upsetting, and goes against the nature of this forum.

ItsTwentyBelow

Went to my local shop in Kent, WA yesterday and found that they have their Safari shipment in! Limited myself to Kronosaurus and Einiosaurus for now, but got to see and handle everything else, except T.rex.

These are superb models. I'm glad I never had the Carnegie Kronosaurus.

To chime in on Battat, they are all extremely well crafted from an objective point of view. Simply stellar little reconstructions of living dinosaurs, for all the reasons people above have mentioned. Each one of their figures are among the best sculpts ever done of that genus. The only chinasaurs that come close are those that are deliberate knock-offs of the Battat figures.

Takama

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on December 16, 2016, 08:46:16 PM
Went to my local shop in Kent, WA yesterday and found that they have their Safari shipment in! Limited myself to Kronosaurus and Einiosaurus for now, but got to see and handle everything else, except T.rex.

Mind if i use a couple of your photos for the top Ten Wild Safari Poll?

Dinoguy2

I have no personal stake in Battat's and even though Dan seemed like a great guy, I never let that get in the way of criticizing the figures when it was warranted.

But if you think people only praise Battat out of bias or nostalgia, you don't know what you are talking about. Period. From any objective standpoint, their ceratopsians and hadrosaurs (and many others) are STILL the best mass market figures for those species ever made, even after 20 years. That says something. One or two figures might not have the best sculpts or are now out of date, but others, like the Styracosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Carnotaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Maiasaurua, and even (original version of) T. rex are still the best available when it comes to accuracy and realism - they look like real animals, not the toy interpretations of real animals. (I give the feathers a pass on the last one, it's easy to imagine an unsculptable fuzz of ostrich neck feathers covering it especially given the matte paint job on the original).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Killekor

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on December 16, 2016, 08:46:16 PM

To chime in on Battat, they are all extremely well crafted from an objective point of view. Simply stellar little reconstructions of living dinosaurs, for all the reasons people above have mentioned. Each one of their figures are among the best sculpts ever done of that genus. The only chinasaurs that come close are those that are deliberate knock-offs of the Battat figures.

Wow! I want them!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: