News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 29, 2016, 09:13:03 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 29, 2016, 09:03:05 PM
Thank you. I had noticed earlier on in the thread that someone was complaining about the lack of lips on the T. rex, which I felt was unfair based on when you would have sculpted it. Granted, the T. rex lip debate has been going on for quite some time now, but it only became mainstream news back in the spring with Robert Reiz's research.

With all the ongoing discoveries and theories about dinosaurs, it's bloody difficult for toy companies to keep up!

and I may not have put lips on it anyway since there still is no peer reviewed paper or consensus. I have been discussing this with Patrx and as I recently pondered how Dr. Reisz's theory would apply to the many toothy Pterosaurs that also did not live an aquatic life.
But they don't have lips anyway, right?  ???

Patrx

Quote from: Dilopho on August 29, 2016, 09:27:37 PM
I have been discussing this with Patrx and as I recently pondered how Dr. Reisz's theory would apply to the many toothy Pterosaurs that also did not live an aquatic life.

That's an unfortunate thing, we don't really know much about pterosaur snouts when it comes to soft tissue. Some of them look to have had chewing teeth, and some have weird ridges in their skulls that might imply some kind of tissue structure. On the other hand, relatively simple facial covering could be part of why the later, toothless pterosaurs were able to develop beaks so rapidly.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Dilopho on August 29, 2016, 09:27:37 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 29, 2016, 09:03:05 PM
Thank you. I had noticed earlier on in the thread that someone was complaining about the lack of lips on the T. rex, which I felt was unfair based on when you would have sculpted it. Granted, the T. rex lip debate has been going on for quite some time now, but it only became mainstream news back in the spring with Robert Reiz's research.

With all the ongoing discoveries and theories about dinosaurs, it's bloody difficult for toy companies to keep up!

and I may not have put lips on it anyway since there still is no peer reviewed paper or consensus. I have been discussing this with Patrx and as I recently pondered how Dr. Reisz's theory would apply to the many toothy Pterosaurs that also did not live an aquatic life.

That is the point he argues that T rex needed lips to keep the teeth from drying out, then wouldn't it apply to the Pterosaurs with exposed teeth. I think not so maybe it wouldn't apply to T rex either. As some have argued T rex had a constant supply of replacement teeth and the loss of teeth would not have been an issue.

Dilopho

Quote from: Patrx on August 29, 2016, 09:39:22 PM
That's an unfortunate thing, we don't really know much about pterosaur snouts when it comes to soft tissue. Some of them look to have had chewing teeth, and some have weird ridges in their skulls that might imply some kind of tissue structure. On the other hand, relatively simple facial covering could be part of why the later, toothless pterosaurs were able to develop beaks so rapidly.

Like this Anurognathus? It looks like it has skin and stuff over the beak. And whiskers! Where do they fit in?
Quote from: Doug Watson on August 29, 2016, 09:42:39 PM
That is the point he argues that T rex needed lips to keep the teeth from drying out, then wouldn't it apply to the Pterosaurs with exposed teeth. I think not so maybe it wouldn't apply to T rex either. As some have argued T rex had a constant supply of replacement teeth and the loss of teeth would not have been an issue.
Oh, that's kind of ridiculous. While I too think T. rex might have had lips, using that reason is just silly. Contradictions! And the replacement teeth theory makes sense, like most reptilian carnivores! That reminds me of the theory that it had bacteria as venom, like a Komodo Dragon!

suspsy

Careful how quickly you use a label like "ridiculous." Komodo dragons also have a continuous supply of teeth, yet theirs are completely covered by lips. Same goes for all other squamates, even venomous snakes. Doug makes a very strong argument by pointing out pterosaurs' apparent lack of lips, but the possibility of lips on T. rex remains open at least until more research is done.

In the mean time, the presence or lack of lips on new T. rex toys does not bother me.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dilopho

Quote from: suspsy on August 29, 2016, 10:26:32 PM
Careful how quickly you use a label like "ridiculous." Komodo dragons also have a continuous supply of teeth, yet theirs are completely covered by lips. Same goes for all other squamates, even venomous snakes.
Oh, yeah. I suppose. I was thinking of crocodilians.
Doug makes a very strong argument by pointing out pterosaurs' apparent lack of lips, but the possibility of lips on T. rex remains open at least until research needs to be done.
Personally I think it would have had lips like this:

(And by the way, this is one of the scariest images I've ever seen  :o)
It just looks so natural!
In the mean time, the presence or lack of lips on new T. rex toys does not bother me.
Nah, me neither. But I would prefer to see ones like, say, the Collecta deluxe and Papo standing. They have nice mouths but ones like the Papo running have strange ones.

Doug Watson

Careful how quickly you use a label like "ridiculous." Komodo dragons also have a continuous supply of teeth, yet theirs are completely covered by lips. Same goes for all other squamates, even venomous snakes. Doug makes a very strong argument by pointing out pterosaurs' apparent lack of lips, but the possibility of lips on T. rex remains open at least until research needs to be done.

This is getting off track but I will point out that on a viranid skull the upper jaw and lower jaws are the same width and the upper teeth do not reach the bottom of the lower jaw. In many theropods like T rex and Ceratosaurus the lower jaw is narrower than the upper and fits inside the upper jaw with many of the long upper teeth reaching to almost the lowest point of the lower jaw. If they did have lips it would be very different from any living reptile to avoid the upper teeth shredding the flesh of the lower jaw.

fason

ok , while this seems while a serious debate  , i CANT be the only one who looks at this  picture and sees it saying "sup, how ya doing " :P

Concavenator

Doug,will the new Tyrannosaurus be in a tripod pose?We can't see for real in the photo,and since Safari themselves published the photo including that model,maybe you could tell us.Thanks in advance.

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 29, 2016, 10:51:38 PM
Careful how quickly you use a label like "ridiculous." Komodo dragons also have a continuous supply of teeth, yet theirs are completely covered by lips. Same goes for all other squamates, even venomous snakes. Doug makes a very strong argument by pointing out pterosaurs' apparent lack of lips, but the possibility of lips on T. rex remains open at least until research needs to be done.

This is getting off track but I will point out that on a viranid skull the upper jaw and lower jaws are the same width and the upper teeth do not reach the bottom of the lower jaw. In many theropods like T rex and Ceratosaurus the lower jaw is narrower than the upper and fits inside the upper jaw with many of the long upper teeth reaching to almost the lowest point of the lower jaw. If they did have lips it would be very different from any living reptile to avoid the upper teeth shredding the flesh of the lower jaw.

Another interesting point. Perhaps T. rex only possessed a large upper lip? Like I said, more research is required. Reiz said in an interview that he's planning to turn his research into a formal paper to be submitted for peer review. I look forward to reading it.

In the mean time, Doug, I'm very, very impressed by what I've seen so far of your new T. rex! I can't wait to see more images, and hopefully the toy's dimensions.

Dobber

Quote from: fason on August 29, 2016, 10:54:57 PM
ok , while this seems while a serious debate  , i CANT be the only one who looks at this  picture and sees it saying "sup, how ya doing " :P

Frankly I always think of a gorilla when I see that picture.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on August 29, 2016, 11:37:53 PM
In the mean time, Doug, I'm very, very impressed by what I've seen so far of your new T. rex! I can't wait to see more images, and hopefully the toy's dimensions.

It's life-sized....just kidding.

Quote from: Concavenator on August 29, 2016, 11:27:26 PM
Doug,will the new Tyrannosaurus be in a tripod pose?We can't see for real in the photo,and since Safari themselves published the photo including that model,maybe you could tell us.Thanks in advance.

Since Safari Ltd decided not to show it all I am afraid I can't comment. Sorry.

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 30, 2016, 12:17:46 AM
Quote from: suspsy on August 29, 2016, 11:37:53 PM

It's life-sized....just kidding.

Too bad! It would have looked killer on our front lawn.

Oh, and as for that beautiful John Conway painting, no, I don't think the T. rex looks friendly. I think it's studying the viewer the exact same way a hungry Bengal tiger or a Kodiak bear would. 

fason

Quote from: Dobber on August 29, 2016, 11:44:25 PM
Quote from: fason on August 29, 2016, 10:54:57 PM

Frankly I always think of a gorilla when I see that picture.

Chris
i kinda see it now xD

sauroid

im guessing the new WS T. rex has a base to support proportional feet and legs.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

MLMjp

Quote from: sauroid on August 30, 2016, 10:52:13 AM

Seeing how safari figures are usually made. I highly doubt it.

suspsy

Quote from: MLMjp on August 30, 2016, 11:13:35 AM
Quote from: sauroid on August 30, 2016, 10:52:13 AM

Seeing how safari figures are usually made. I highly doubt it.

The last couple of big theropods that Doug sculpted, the Yutyrannus and the Carcharodontosaurus, had much more proportionate feet than the likes of the 2011 Tyrannosaurus rex. Also, the new figure in the group photo has clearly been digitally inserted, so it could be reared back to look more imposing. The actual toy may well be posed in a horizontal stance. We'll just have to wait and see.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 29, 2016, 10:51:38 PMThis is getting off track but I will point out that on a viranid skull the upper jaw and lower jaws are the same width and the upper teeth do not reach the bottom of the lower jaw. In many theropods like T rex and Ceratosaurus the lower jaw is narrower than the upper and fits inside the upper jaw with many of the long upper teeth reaching to almost the lowest point of the lower jaw. If they did have lips it would be very different from any living reptile to avoid the upper teeth shredding the flesh of the lower jaw.
The same thing occurs in some dolphin skulls, they deal with it by having large openings along the outer edge of the lower lips/flesh for the upper teeth to slide into.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Dilopho on August 29, 2016, 09:48:40 PM
Quote from: Patrx on August 29, 2016, 09:39:22 PM

Like this Anurognathus? It looks like it has skin and stuff over the beak. And whiskers! Where do they fit in?
Quote from: Doug Watson on August 29, 2016, 09:42:39 PM
Oh, that's kind of ridiculous. While I too think T. rex might have had lips, using that reason is just silly. Contradictions! And the replacement teeth theory makes sense, like most reptilian carnivores! That reminds me of the theory that it had bacteria as venom, like a Komodo Dragon!

Anurognathids, like many pterosaurs, did not have a beak. Most toothed pterosaurs did not, except for a little hook or prow like beak on the toothless jaw tip. In many like Pterodactylus itself, UV studies show that the only keratin on the snout was a little tooth-like beak wedged in between the actual front teeth. The jaws were covered in skin. Some anurognathid fossils preserve bristles near the jaws and even pits on the jaw near to teeth - the same pits are found in animals with very sensitive whiskers.

Many of the toothyer pterosaurs did live in and around water and fed on aquatic prey, do they would have been regularly getting their beak-- er, snouts wet. It's interesting that the more terrestrial pterosaurs, like azhdarchoids and dsungaripteroids, all seem to have lost their teeth or modified them in strange ways.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

LophoLeeVT

that new rex looks nice!!!
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: