News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on September 15, 2016, 07:08:23 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 15, 2016, 07:02:07 PM
I re-watched the video and is it just me or did the Tyrannosaurus foot have some give to it, as if it has made of softer plastic?
Would that mean that these are production pieces and not prototypes?
Doubtful, those would be harder if anything. What it means is that me might be a getting a large and potentially softer plastic theropod.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: empire3569 on September 15, 2016, 07:05:43 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 15, 2016, 07:02:07 PM
I re-watched the video and is it just me or did the Tyrannosaurus foot have some give to it, as if it has made of softer plastic?

I noticed that too... I'm not too convinced that is the feathered Rex foot, as the grey coloration doesn't appear to match the coloration of the skin on the snout in the promo pic. My guess is it is a different product

If not the tyrannosaurus, Deinocheirus perhaps? What other theropod could they want to tease?
I am the Dinosaur King!

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 15, 2016, 06:58:01 PM
Quote from: suspsy on September 15, 2016, 05:35:21 PM
Hmmm. The Diplodocus and the Giganotosaurus don't look like Doug Watson's style.

I have to say, as exciting as these toys are, I am disappointed that there is no ceratopsian.

From what I gather Safari Ltd still hasn't identified any of the pieces yet so all I can say is two of the prehistoric pieces in the video are not mine.

Your style is more incriminating and recognizable than a fingerprint, Doug. The dromaeosaur is clearly your handiwork.  :)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

suspsy

As far as that mystery foot is concerned, perhaps it's a rubber prop Safari utilised for dramatic purposes. That would explain the give. And as far as colouring goes, I think it's just bad lighting that makes it appear different from the feathered T. rex figure we've seen.

Time will tell!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dilopho

It had a Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus roar!

Concavenator

The Giganotosaurus and Diplodocus certainly aren't Doug's.The Velociraptor (pity is isn't a Deinonychus)I have doubts about if he did or didn't sculpt it.And that foot might be Tyrannosaurus' but the color seems different from the post that was posted before.
So far,6 new dinosaurs for 2017.

PaleoMatt

At first I was certain the Giga was a carnegie repaint.

Roselaar

That Giganotosaurus looks amazing! I just hope the final product looks as good as this tease. I also have high hopes for the other two.

Interesting to see the three new prehistoric animals we already knew are gonna be released next year are not in that video. I guess that was deliberate.

The Atroxious

Jeez, 2017 is looking like an even bigger year for toys than 2016, and this year was good. The Giga, Velociraptor, and hawk look very promising. Not keen on the paint jobs, since they look rather flat, but that's a non-issue since I can easily repaint them. It's been a while since I've seen a toy carnosaur that struck my fancy.

The green dragon at the beginning also looks promising, though we'll see. The anatomy of most of Safari's dragons looks wonky to me, but I like the golden dragon quite a bit, enough that I bought it. Here's to hoping the green is in the same vein. I really like the werewolf as well, though it's not the type of thing I'd normally buy for myself (gotta be reptiles) I'm not above making exceptions if I like the figure enough when I see it in person.

postsaurischian

Thanks Patrx for quickly reacting and modifying the first post on the first page :)!

I really like what we see here!
That Giganotosaurus looks wonderful. It seems to have a base. Love the head sculpt! Who might be the new sculptor? The paint scheme is plain and simple which I like in some cases. I do like it here - The grey and brown tones match perfectly and they have a Battat feel :).

The old Carnegie 1:40 sauropod trio (Apatosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Diplodocus) has always been something special to me and I have been waiting for some years now for an appropriate model to accompany the late Carnegie Brachiosaurus and the latest Wild Safari Apatosaurus. I hope this Diplodocus is also in 1:50. I cannot wait to take pics of this finally completed new power trio :D!

Lovely new Velociraptor! Might be my favourite one of all major Western companies. Hopefully not too big.

I guess that foot in the end of the video is of the new Tyrannosaurus, which seems to be awesome! It has stylistic elements of Shinzen and Krentz in it.
Definitely very inspired by the Japanese ....... finally this happens ^-^!

DinoLord

Now that I think of it the Giganotosaurus and Diplodocus remind me somewhat of some of Forest Rogers' Carnegie Collection prototypes...

Patrx

I am enamored with the new velociraptorine already! I hope the final piece resembles this prototype as closely as possible :D
The other two reveals are less thrilling, but they look nice! Does anybody know what the current thinking is on those diplodocid dorsal spines?

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 15, 2016, 10:54:56 PM
Thanks Patrx for quickly reacting and modifying the first post on the first page :)!
Sure thing!

Gwangi

Quote from: DinoLord on September 15, 2016, 11:07:42 PM
Now that I think of it the Giganotosaurus and Diplodocus remind me somewhat of some of Forest Rogers' Carnegie Collection prototypes...

The thought did cross my mind that these could be her sculpts. I even checked her blog and FB pages to see if there was any info, there wasn't.

Silvanusaurus

Why is this video everyone's talking about invisible to me? I can't see it anywhere in this thread... does someone have a link?

Based on the photos on the first page (which I assume are captured from the video), the velociraptor looks fantastic; leagues ahead of Papo's and wonderfully naturalistic! I can honestly say thats the first Safari figure I've seen that is an abosolute must have for me. The Giganotosaurus also looks amazing. These, and what I've seen of the rex, look better to me than anything released by any of the major main-stream companies in the past year.

Thylacosmilus

Here is the link:www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoNPhejy9No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoNPhejy9No

Edit:

Dobber

I really like the Velociraptor! I also like the Giga's sculpt, but hat paint scheme is horrible...mainly the application, it looks so amaturish. Not what I would expect of a company that is trying to sell a product.  :-[

Nothing that a quick repaint can't fix, though.  O:-)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

The Atroxious

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 15, 2016, 10:54:56 PM
That Giganotosaurus looks wonderful. It seems to have a base. Love the head sculpt! Who might be the new sculptor? The paint scheme is plain and simple which I like in some cases. I do like it here - The grey and brown tones match perfectly and they have a Battat feel :).

The colors are great, though the lack of blending makes it seem unnatural, and I would have preferred fewer stripes. Of course, I'm not a fan of Battat either. The sculpt is really nice though, if a bit on the chunky side, but it's probably not as chunky as CollectA's carnosaurs, so that doesn't bother me.

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on September 15, 2016, 05:35:21 PM
Hmmm. The Diplodocus and the Giganotosaurus don't look like Doug Watson's style.

I have to say, as exciting as these toys are, I am disappointed that there is no ceratopsian.

>>insert evil laugh<<

^-^

Yutyrannus

Quote from: darth daniel on September 15, 2016, 07:13:49 PM
The 'Diplodoccus`' neck seems much thicker than most depictions I´ve seen... Could it be an Apatosaurus or Brontosaurus?
Definitely doesn't look like an apatosaurine, it seems like it's just a Diplodocus that isn't as shrink-wrapped as a lot of depictions of it.

The Diplodocus looks decent, but I'll have to see better pictures of it. The typical single dorsal row of spines is a bit disappointing though, I would have preferred to see them try a different arrangement for once :-\. Also, its skull and the first half of its neck seems a little shrink-wrapped, which really stands out considering the rest of its neck seems to be appropriately fleshy. The lack of lips on this year's theropods is also something I'm not a fan of, but other than that they all look great, so I can forgive that. The paint application on the Diplodocus and Giganotosaurus aren't great, but the sculpts are, and that is not hard to fix anyway. Although I agree with MLMjp that the skull of the Giganotosaurus seems to be based on the outdated elongated reconstruction, other than that its anatomy looks to be pretty much spot on, and I am definitely planning on getting it next year. As for the Velociraptor...I can't really find many negatives about it ;D. The paint application looks quite good, the plumage is realistically thick unlike certain previous attempts at a feathered dromaeosaur (*cough*Carnegie*cough*), and the wings appear to be correct (apart from the size, anyway). Here's hoping that the tail fan isn't restricted to the tip like most of the BOTM figures ;D.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

sauroid

why cant the companies make their final products as good as the prototype images? is it that hard to do?
anyway, i hope the new Wild Safari artist's identity would be revealed too someday.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: