News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

On the hunt for a book about "everything" - please help!

Started by Lanthanotus, August 30, 2016, 08:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Hi folks,

I'm sure everyone of you read one or two of these prehistoric time books that cover more or less "everything", from the Hadean, Archean through the history of evolution of life to the Quarternary. Now, while I own several of those books all are quiet dated (in fact they even were when I first got them in the 80's), I am looking for a decent, quite up to date on? Would be nice if it also boasts a lot of nice pictures/paintings.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and recommendations :)

Halichoeres

There's a book called History of Life on Amazon (https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B00B5Z2T1M&asin=B00B5Z2T1M&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_APGXxb65SXKZY). It looks like it's meant to be a textbook, but the table of contents seems to cover the major themes you're looking for. The cover illustration is fairly old-fashioned. The other illustrations are a mixed bag--looks like they commissioned very few, instead relying on licensed, often older, work. It's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. In general, I find that books devoted to one particular group, one particular time slice, or one particular place tend to be much better done.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

irimali

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Story-Life-Douglas-Palmer/dp/0520255119/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1472596476&sr=8-12&keywords=evolution+the+story+of+life+on+earth

I like this one a lot.  It's from 2009.  Not sure if that's too old.  Unfortunately the sample pages on Amazon only show the first and last few pages.  Most of the book is double page spreads showing reconstructed environments from a specific place and time. Lots of little details, big and small animals, specific plants from those sites. 

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

I also was going to recommend "Evolution: The Story of Life". Also, "Prehistoric Life" by DK publishing. It's far from flawless, especially with its reconstructions but there is a lot of information packed in there and gorgeous fossil photographs.

Lanthanotus

Thanks to you all,.... I'm going to order the Story of Life book, your recommendations and the descriptions I read sound very convincing :)

btb300

Quote from: Lanthanotus on August 31, 2016, 08:18:19 PM
Thanks to you all,.... I'm going to order the Story of Life book, your recommendations and the descriptions I read sound very convincing :)
This does look very interestin indeed, I have put it on my wishlist :)
Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.