News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bully Mastodonsaurus

Started by smashtoad, September 19, 2016, 03:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smashtoad

Hi all...

Just finished this Bully mastodonsaurus.  I'm really happy with it, but still like Copper's paint scheme better on this sculpt.  I've got another one to do now.  Love this critter.

Halichoeres

Nice work! Brings out some sculpt features that are obscured by the original paint job.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

Flaffy

I really liked the subtle browns of the original figure, but your new paint job makes the sculpt details a lot clearer!
Probably could be a male during breeding season?  ;D

acro-man

喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Derek.McManus

Very nice work, impressive colour scheme.

postsaurischian

:D Beautiful colour! It shows that this is one of the best figures Bullyland has ever released.

Bucklander

Love it. Man that is one sexy beast!

smashtoad

Thanks guys...those warts are gorilla glue dots.  He has much more texture than the original sculpt.

AcroSauroTaurus

It appears you forgot to paint the lower teeth that stick up through the end of the snout. ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Libraraptor

Megalosaurus

This is a fantastic paintjob.
But I was also wondering if you forget to paint the protruding teeth or it was your desition to paint it that same color.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

smashtoad

Full disclosure....didn't know a couple things.  Didn't know those were teeth....and was not aware of the adult size of mastodonsaurus. I figured 8 maybe 10 feet.  What a critter.  I've been looking at skull pics....I might amend them a little with some Apoxie sculpt.

Thanks for the heads up, fellas.

Halichoeres

Quote from: smashtoad on September 22, 2016, 03:16:45 AM
Full disclosure....didn't know a couple things.  Didn't know those were teeth....and was not aware of the adult size of mastodonsaurus. I figured 8 maybe 10 feet.  What a critter.  I've been looking at skull pics....I might amend them a little with some Apoxie sculpt.

Thanks for the heads up, fellas.

I don't think the painters of the original did, either.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

smashtoad

This is the other masto.  Top pic is him on the right...the one on the left is the original before I finished him.  This second one was nice but dark and kinda boring.

Tonight I got Fed up and just started throwing on white paint with no direction.  Not sure where I'll go from here but it felt good to just go random.

AcroSauroTaurus

Actually, the white one looks really cool as it is!
I am the Dinosaur King!

smashtoad

Thanks man...it doesn't look very good in person.  Maybe I'll trim the white and see how that looks then wash it.

smashtoad

Finally got this guy done.  I'm pretty happy with it...but still like Copper's much better.  I just think he captured the essence of this critter.  His paint scheme reminds me of the South American chicken frog.

I also used a drill, some apoxy sculpt, and some toothpick tips to fix His snout teeth.

Lanthanotus

I really like that last paint scheme, looks very amphibian and naturalistic.

Personally I highly doubt what was metioned in a lot of posts before, that the front teeth stuck through the upper jaw completly. While the skull indeed boast opening sockets for the uncommonly large front teeth, there's hardly to find an evolotionary intended example in recent animals where teeth struck through a bone in such a way, basically creating two more independent openings to the inner mouth. It is way more likely that these sockets were covered by cartilage tissue or keratin fiber or such, greating some bulking muzzle.

Nevertheless I like the resulting custom figure, good work :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: