News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Member groups

Started by BlueKrono, October 05, 2016, 09:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Quote from: Reptilia on March 25, 2017, 02:05:47 PM
I like the idea of expanding the hierarchy, and some suggestions here sounds cool, so I'd go with the following:

- Newbie (0 / 99)
- Jr. member (100 / 249)
- Sr. member (250 / 499)
- Full member (500 / 999)
- Hero member (1000 / 1499)
- Cretaceous survivor (1500 / 2999)
- Jurassic survivor (3000 / 5999)
- Triassic survivor (6000 / 9999)
- Ultimate master (10000 +)

I think a lot of people would assume that Cretaceous > Jurassic. And I really do think the highest group should be 3,000+. Like I said, only seven members have been that participatory. We should strive to be realistic here.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

PaleoMatt

The highest should be 5000 so even the the older members get soemthing to strive for.

Reptilia

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 25, 2017, 02:13:27 PM
I think a lot of people would assume that Cretaceous > Jurassic.

Cretaceous is more recent than Jurassic, if you survived from the Jurassic you're supposed to have been around for a longer time.

BlueKrono

Quote from: PaleoMatt on March 25, 2017, 02:19:03 PM
The highest should be 5000 so even the the older members get soemthing to strive for.
That's fair.

And why restrict us to the Mesozoic? Can our vaunted Cambrian get a little love?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Paleogene Pals

If we make increase the threshold to 'Hero' member to 1000 posts, I would lose my status. But, it would be fun to have something to work towards. I like the timeframe ranking as well, personally.

Libraraptor

Once I was more ambitious as to the number of my posts. Meanwhile I calmed down a little, answering only to what really seems relevant to me.

Reptilia

Having fun suggesting some changes is ok, but to call an ambition reaching a certain number of posts is a bit of a stretch for me. Is the number of posts and consequent member status something that really matters?

DinoToyForum

Here are the new member group settings. Will you become an old fossil?

Newbie*0   
Jr. Member**50   
Full Member***100
Sr. Member****250
Hero Member*****500
Precambrian survivor******750   
Cambrian survivor*******   1000   
Ordovician survivor********1250
Silurian survivor   *********1500
Devonian survivor**********1750
Carboniferous survivor***********2000
Permian survivor************2250
Triassic survivor   *************2500
Jurassic survivor**************2750
Cretaceous survivor***************3000
Paleocene survivor****************3250   
Eocene survivor   *****************3500
Oligocene survivor******************3750
Miocene survivor*******************4000
Pliocene survivor********************4250   
Pleistocene survivor*********************4500   
Holocene survivor**********************4750   
Ultimate survivor***********************5000   
Old fossil member************************10000   

CityRaptor

So once we hit 3249 posts, we venture into a less interesting time with every post.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

whoah im a Permian Survivor, cant wait til Triassic when im a proper dinosaur
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

BlueKrono

Weeee! Awesome! This will help us become more familiar with Earth's time periods too. In the words of Ron Weasley, "Bloody brilliant!"

DinoToyForum

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 26, 2017, 06:30:31 PM
So once we hit 3249 posts, we venture into a less interesting time with every post.

The inevitable march of time.  :P

Reptilia

So a Precambrian survivor, who at his youngest is still 540 million years old, has 4000 posts less than a Holocene survivor who's only about 11700 years old? It doesn't make much sense. The younger you are the less you've been around, no?

CityRaptor

Actually it makes sense if your goal is not to go back in time, but forwards.  Basically like game E.V.O. Search for Eden.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 26, 2017, 07:41:54 PM

The inevitable march of time.  :P
You know, Ulitmate Survivor has some dark implications then. One survived the present...and maybe the extinction of mankind.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

Generally the number of posts are directly proportional to the time you've been on the board, there are exceptions but most of the times the highest rank posters are also among the oldest members. So it makes sense to associate ancient periods to them and more recent ones to younger members with less posts. More so if we tie this to the concept of being a survivor.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Reptilia on March 26, 2017, 07:55:22 PM
So a Precambrian survivor, who at his youngest is still 540 million years old, has 4000 posts less than a Holocene survivor who's only about 11700 years old? It doesn't make much sense. The younger you are the less you've been around, no?

We all start in the Precambrian, I guess!

So true. I'm close to leaving the Mesozoic myself for the boring old Cenozoic.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Neosodon

Quote from: Reptilia on March 26, 2017, 08:35:03 PM
Generally the number of posts are directly proportional to the time you've been on the board, there are exceptions but most of the times the highest rank posters are also among the oldest members. So it makes sense to associate ancient periods to them and more recent ones to younger members with less posts. More so if we tie this to the concept of being a survivor.
I like the way it is now. If you started with recent time periods and went backwards with each rank, well it would just be backwards. With each time period life gets more advanced. So the more recent time period a member is in the more advanced they are in forum knowledge and experience.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Cloud the Dinosaur King

I am quite found with this new grouping. So this means that no one is a old fossil member yet!

DinoToyForum

Yes, the member travels forward through prehistoric time.

The concept of 'old' and 'young' is relative. Relative to today, the Cambrian is older than the Holocene, but relative to the beginning of time, the Cambrian is younger than the Holocene.

Tylosaurus

Looking great Doc 8) Love the layout and the idea in general :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: