News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Diplodocus: playing with textures

Started by Seijun, June 08, 2012, 06:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

Here is the armature for a 1:40 dippy I am playing around with. My only concern is the angle of his neck. Is it too high? I wanted to give the impression that the he was striding forward and raising his head high to bellow, scaring off a predator or rival, but obviously I don't want him to be doing anything impossible.

For comparison, a GSP dippy in a neutral pose (middle one):
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-U83fxvSfneU/TguMzR0SUFI/AAAAAAAAA3Y/A1RyhQS76cQ/s1600/Jurassic+sauropod+skeletals+I.jpg
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think your good.  The neck had some mobility and this doesn't look impossible to me at all.

Maybe I'll attempt a  Diplo one day myself..a juvenile one. lol ;D

Seijun

I am almost done with the epoxy core.

Over this, I will be sculpting muscles and skin using a soft polymer clay.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Himmapaan

Squee, I'm so excited!  :D :D It looks beautiful already! And I think the neck looks absolutely fine!

Is it too premature to ask you to consider casting copies?  ;D

Seijun

It is too premature I'm afraid :) I have a habit of never actually finishing anything (I have more fun starting projects than finishing them) although this one feels much more promising than usual.

Roktman

Very nice start. Would like to see this one finished!   ;)

Seijun

Here is the core, finished:

Lady medusa

Im loving it! What kind of epoxy do u use? Im still learning what products can be used for sculpting. Since with air dry clay you cant use an armature and i would really like to use them! Are you planning to bake this since you are going to use polymer clay?

Meso-Cenozoic

This is looking great, Seijun! I'm with Niroot. If ever you decide to cast copies, you can count me in too! (Dippy's my favorite sauropod. ^-^)

You say he/she is 1/40 scale. About how long will it end up being do you think?

Seijun

He is roughly 26 inches long.

The epoxy I am using is called Aves Apoxie Sculpt.

I have started the clay-up, using a mixture that is 2 parts Super Sculpey and 1 part Kato Polyclay.

DeadToothCrackKnuckle

That's great! :) Can't wait to see the finished product!

©Julius T. Csotonyi

0onarcissisto0

This is looking great so far!!!
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

ingenia

Very nice work so far! This looks really good!Do you work with gloves when you are using epoxy?

Seijun

Yes, I wear latex gloves when mixing the epoxy. When first mixed it gets very sticky, so gloves keep my hands clean. About 15 minutes after mixing, I usually take the gloves off. By then a lot of the stickiness has gone away, and I find it impossible to smooth and refine small details when I am wearing gloves.

Horridus

This is looking awesome.

Quote from: Seijun on June 08, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
My only concern is the angle of his neck. Is it too high?

Nope! 'Tis lovely. Can't wait to see it finished!
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

ZoPteryx

Wow!  Great work Seijun!  It's already looking amazing!  :))

Seijun

Photobucket isnt working tonight.

Anyway, here I have just started adding some wrinkles and muscle definition. Do you guys mind if I continue posting pictures every few days even though the changes may not be very major?

I am debating whether to try doing scales and making him look more realistic (could fail miserably), or if I should go with a stylized and very "sculpted" texture, like what he has now.

[attachment msg=11958][/attachment]

Himmapaan

I like this 'sculpted texture'.  You might perhaps add a few larger scutes and such (if you wanted to), but I think most of the scales would be too minuscule to be seen at this scale.

postsaurischian

:D  Great googly moogly!
The Diplo is going to be beautiful!!

I want it when it's finished ;D.

0onarcissisto0

Beautiful!!! Please do keep posting pictures. This thing is gonna be awesome
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: