News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddybier

The new juvenile spinosaur together with the old one:

suspsy

They're both ugly and boring, especially compared to Papo's more recent theropods. They'd been taking steps forward the last couple of years, but this feels like a step back to me.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Reptilia

Beautiful! From this angle it looks an entirely different figure, definitely its best profile. It reminds me of something, maybe another figure or a piece of paleoart, can't make out what but the pose seems familiar. Can't wait to get mine and place this couple in front of mom and daughter T-Rex. Papo should definitely make more babies and juveniles.

Shonisaurus

He is a magnificent figure! I just received it all morning from everythingdinosaur.co.uk and I recommend it is superdetailed like all Papo figures, it makes very good pair with the spinosaurus of the same brand.  8)

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on September 29, 2017, 09:22:16 PM
They're both ugly and boring, especially compared to Papo's more recent theropods. They'd been taking steps forward the last couple of years, but this feels like a step back to me.

I don't think it's a step back. It's more of a tribute. Both Spinos look 'retro' but work together well as a set (I'm in the minority, but I feel that the Suchomimus Baryonx is far superior to both models, in terms of accuracy and aesthetics). Every once in a while Papo releases a special tribute release (e.g. retro blue, cassowary-style Oviraptor)

I'm pretty sure upcoming 'Theropod X' will make everyone's jaws drop! Only 2.5 months to the reveal  ;)

Silvanusaurus

I figured out why I find it's face so disturbing... it has the same face as the baby T rex from The Lost World: Jurassic Park, only it's been stretched out at the front into a duck-billed shape.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 30, 2017, 06:57:54 AM
Quote from: suspsy on September 29, 2017, 09:22:16 PM

I don't think it's a step back. It's more of a tribute. Both Spinos look 'retro' but work together well as a set (I'm in the minority, but I feel that the Suchomimus Baryonx is far superior to both models, in terms of accuracy and aesthetics). Every once in a while Papo releases a special tribute release (e.g. retro blue, cassowary-style Oviraptor)

I'm pretty sure upcoming 'Theropod X' will make everyone's jaws drop! Only 2.5 months to the reveal  ;)

You mean that Papo is going to make an indomimus? Is that theropodo X or maybe it's a giganotosaurus?

Reptilia

I would call all the recent repaints cash-ins rather than tributes. This one is not a tribute either, in my opinion. They wanted to make a juvenile version of an existing species in their catalogue, and being it the Spinosaurus inspired by JP3 they've been simply coherent with that design. I wouldn't define it a step back, it'll make Papo collectors and JP fans happy, and it'll just feel superfluous to less JP-oriented people. It won't detract anything to the upcoming 2018 line-up.

If Papo is going to unleash a Giganotosaurus I hope it won't be based on Indominus! I'm quite confident it will be in the same league of this year's theropods, which are just awesome.

Shonisaurus

Well as that giganotosaurus is at least of the same quality as the theropods of this year I give a song in the teeth. Luckily I have the cryolophosaurus, ceratosaurus and acrocanthosaurus and they are very nice.  :)

It would be great. It would only be left to Collecta to make a giganotosaurus of the same level of genius as the feathered tyrannosaurus of previous years.  :D

SpartanSquat

If we follow for the minis, probably it will be inspired by Brett Booth Tyrannotitan and its really cool.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-o88ug18qr_I/UPq5NpsYJjI/AAAAAAAADJo/A3t-a31x-Rs/s1600/Tyrannotitian2Color.jpg*
I saw more indomimus traits in the Acrocanthosaurus but more colorfull

oscars_dinos

I really love the new baby I think he's a nice new mold even if he has his flaws I still love how he came out of nowwhere even if he's old fashioned ....now to wait till he's available alone

Shonisaurus

I want to make a point. This dinosaur is scheduled for 2018 is a scoop. I mention it because I have it and if one looks at the brand the juvenile spinosaurus lays out 2018.

In theory from my humble point of view should be among the novelties of papo dinosaurs 2018.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 01, 2017, 12:33:26 PM
I want to make a point. This dinosaur is scheduled for 2018 is a scoop. I mention it because I have it and if one looks at the brand the juvenile spinosaurus lays out 2018.

In theory from my humble point of view should be among the novelties of papo dinosaurs 2018.

Sooooo..... baby spino 2018 confirmed ????

Shonisaurus

Quote from: imnewhere on October 01, 2017, 04:29:18 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 01, 2017, 12:33:26 PM

Sooooo..... baby spino 2018 confirmed ????

On the date of manufacture seal of said figure puts 2018. So I guess it is an advance of one of his figures for 2018.

It is something like tyrannosaurus, carnotaurus and velociraptor Schleich that are marketed as exclusive figures in online stores but whose sale is destined for 2018.

Reptilia

Here's a video review. Unfortunately the jaw on the juvenile Spinosaurus seems to be very loose, and the Ceratosaurus can't fully close its mouth. I hope these are flaws of this particular set, but I'm afraid that it might be a problem of the entire stock. I'll see when I'll get mine. Ceratosaurus looks a bit more shiny than the original production run too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syjTVjdJhnY

Shonisaurus

I pass the link of the dimorphodon of Papo de urzeitshop.de I sincerely stick with the one from Collecta or the one from Rebor to put two examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxBgL_IW13A

Mironimus

Hello Shonisaurus,
thank you for sharing.
I was just about to share the YouTube clip myself.
:)

Urzeitshop - dinosaur online shop from germany
https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/
Telegram: t.me/urzeitshop
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Urzeitshop

Reptilia

The more angles I see this Dimorphodon the less I see inaccuracies in it. Head is definitely JW, but it's not that off from the actual skull. I love it, and I'm glad I didn't pick the Rebor's male.

Victoria's Cantina

So to be clear, is the baby Spinosaurus being released everywhere next year, and this boxed set is just a "preview" similar to what they did with the Cassowary Oviraptor last year?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: