News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

I agree on the lower jaw. I noticed that the Ceratosaurus too have such kind of problem when the mouth is closed, albeit less evident than here.

postsaurischian

Reptilia

The picture from the link you provided shows the actual box, and there's special offer, preview / offre speciale, avant-première printed on the front. That pretty much confirms that the juvenile Spinosaurus will be part of the 2018 line-up.

MLMjp

It´s just...weird

The head is disproportionately large in comparison to the body, and so does the base of the tail, it also looks like they just glued on the tail on the body.

I don´t know, I can see why some people would like it, but all I have to say is that is...weird....

oscars_dinos

Quote from: MLMjp on September 25, 2017, 11:24:22 PM
It´s just...weird

The head is disproportionately large in comparison to the body, and so does the base of the tail, it also looks like they just glued on the tail on the body.

I don´t know, I can see why some people would like it, but all I have to say is that is...weird....

Definitely agree like I said I don't think it's the best papo out there (especially after this amazing year) but I still love how it just kinda came out of no where and I mean over all the body is amazing it's really just the head that's werid to me

tanystropheus

It looks weird because it is displaying neoteny.
It has a big head because youngins generally have big heads.
However, I prefer the promo pic as it (the head sculpt) is more reminiscent of a juvenile croc. Not too pleased with the hard edge seams.
Still, we need more pics for a proper evaluation.

Shonisaurus

Thanks Robin for your links.

The smilodon looks better than your initial promotional photo.

On the contrary the dimorphodon sincerely saw it more beautiful in the initial promotional photo and in the one of the Shop of the exhibition of toys of Papo

Mironimus

Papo Male and female Smilodon face to face.
To see more pictures of the male Smilodon, just click on the picture.

Urzeitshop - dinosaur online shop from germany
https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/
Telegram: t.me/urzeitshop
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Urzeitshop

Mironimus

Dimorphodon by Papo has landed at Urzeitshop.

Silvanusaurus

Woah, the Dimorphodon is so detailed I can almost hear it's croaking voice crying out "Kiiiillllll meeeee! Kiiiiiiillllll meeeeeee!"
Hieronymus Bosch would have liked this one.

Takama

Quote from: Mironimus on September 26, 2017, 05:11:44 PM
Papo Male and female Smilodon face to face.
To see more pictures of the male Smilodon, just click on the picture.

The new one is a JOKE compared to the original

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 26, 2017, 05:33:08 PM
Woah, the Dimorphodon is so detailed I can almost hear it's croaking voice crying out "Kiiiillllll meeeee! Kiiiiiiillllll meeeeeee!"
Hieronymus Bosch would have liked this one.

It is true I have always thought about it prehistoric creatures especially dinosaurs and animals of the Paleozoic and Mesozoic seem out of the temptations of St. Anthony abbot of the great Bosco.

When I put them on a table, they remind me of those figures and the paintings of Hieronymus Bosch's ghosts seem to have been taken from a picture of the averno and these animals existed in reality. It's amazing.

Mironimus

The new Smilodon is very muscular and it seems to have very short fur, for you can't see any fur, like in the 'old' Smilodon, at all.

tanystropheus

Lovely Dimorphodon. Peculiar color scheme.

One of the digits of the feet is super-extended B/L in picture #2. Can anyone confirm if that particular trait is accurate for the pterosaur?

Lanthanotus

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 26, 2017, 09:49:22 PM
Lovely Dimorphodon. Peculiar color scheme.

One of the digits of the feet is super-extended B/L in picture #2. Can anyone confirm if that particular trait is accurate for the pterosaur?

Yes, this digit is usually reconstructed as being connected to the uropatagium, the flight membrane spanning between tail and hind legs. CollectA's and Rebor's Dimorphodons got it the way paleontologists like Mark Witton would usually reconstruct it (possibly it's also right on Safari's Dimorphodon, but I don't have that figure).

Reptilia

Don't like the splash of blue on the Dimorphodon's snout, the prototype on the stock photo didn't have it, but otherwise the figure is cool. Seeing it from different angles looks like they got it right with picnofibers all over the body, I understand the JW head will bother most people but to me the model seems on par with Rebor's "Punch", and I'd love to see a comparison between the two. It's also preferable to the huge Collecta version, which of course is much more accurate, but I'm not into big figures so I'd choose the Papo one every time.

As for the Smilodon, I don't understand so much disdain. Ok, it is very stylized, as most if not all Papo figures are, but looking it side by side with the older version I think the upgrade is evident. Just look at the detail on the head sculpt, or on the paws, or the overall quality of the paint job. Yes the new one have those tiger stripes on the hind limbs, and the mane, traits that are imaginative to say the least, but I think it's an improvement nonetheless. Very fond of the two new mammals, I'd say they turned out quite good.

Cryolophosaurus > Ceratosaurus > Acrocanthosaurus > Smilodon > Cave bear > Dimorphodon > Polacanthus - that's my rank for the 2017 Papos.

PhilSauria

Words fail me. Don't see myself adding either of these to my collection; next on my hit list is the CollectA Dimorphodon (and I'd love to see a Pteranodon done as part of this range of large Pterosaurs!). I prefer more naturalistic depictions of prehistoric fauna simply because they were animals, not movie monsters.

tanystropheus

Quote from: PhilSauria on September 26, 2017, 11:45:02 PM
Words fail me. Don't see myself adding either of these to my collection; next on my hit list is the CollectA Dimorphodon (and I'd love to see a Pteranodon done as part of this range of large Pterosaurs!). I prefer more naturalistic depictions of prehistoric fauna simply because they were animals, not movie monsters.

And, that's why words fail you. The Papo Dimorphodon is based on the JP version! (It's not catering to the accuracy crowd, well the Dimorphodon, at least).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: