News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verahin

Quote from: Takama on December 09, 2016, 10:17:26 PM
Polacanthus is a fragmentary species, and i think the only reason Papo made one is because Of Walking With Dinosaurs.

Estimates for Polacanthus are about 4 meters long

While Ankylosaurus grew up to 6 meters long

My guess is that this Polacanthus is a bit longer than the Ankylosaurus, because of the straighter tail. So they won't be in scale, but that's nothing new with Papo models. Still I figure them looking good side by side.

Sigmasaurus

Sigmasaurus

That Polocanthus looks DANK!

Halichoeres

Thanks for the pics, Kikimalou!

I like this figure, on balance. Obviously until that first catalog image got out, nobody was even expecting an ankylosaur from Papo, so in that sense it's a pleasant surprise. There are nicer ankylosaur figures out there (Safari Sauropelta, CollectA Gastonia, Favorite Ankylosaurus), but this looks to be the best Polacanthus specifically. It's an improvement even on the vaunted Walking with Dinosaurs version.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

joossa

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 09, 2016, 11:19:12 PM

I like this figure, on balance. Obviously until that first catalog image got out, nobody was even expecting an ankylosaur from Papo, so in that sense it's a pleasant surprise. There are nicer ankylosaur figures out there (Safari Sauropelta, CollectA Gastonia, Favorite Ankylosaurus), but this looks to be the best Polacanthus specifically. It's an improvement even on the vaunted Walking with Dinosaurs version.

I agree. I like it too and the colors don't turn me off to it.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Kikimalou

Quote from: Verahin on December 09, 2016, 10:22:06 PM
Polacanthus is a fragmentary species, and i think the only reason Papo made one is because Of Walking With Dinosaurs.

My guess is that this Polacanthus is a bit longer than the Ankylosaurus, because of the straighter tail. So they won't be in scale, but that's nothing new with Papo models. Still I figure them looking good side by side.

The Polacanthus is indeed a bit longer than the Ankylosaurus, because of the straighter tail. Nevertheless the head, legs and body are smaller.

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 09, 2016, 11:19:12 PM

Thank you Halichoeres  ;)

AcroSauroTaurus

I think its a unique looking figure, I'll be getting it. Plus, its a Polacanthus, who knows when will we get another figure of that species. Its pretty detailed, which is expected from Papo, and it looks good. And yah, purple probably wasn't the best main body color, but at least they're trying to broaden their figures coloration's instead of the classic browns, grays, and greens. But I am really excited for the Acrocanthosaurus. ;D
I am the Dinosaur King!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Verahin on December 09, 2016, 09:59:42 PM
Having seen the full gallery of pictures I'd say it definitely is the same size as the Ankylosaurus. I can't recall if the size estimates for the two animals in real life are similar, but I'm looking forward to display them together anyway.

I didn't know the Polacanthus was smaller than the Ankylosaurus...

Halichoeres

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 10, 2016, 04:24:40 PM
Quote from: Verahin on December 09, 2016, 09:59:42 PM
Having seen the full gallery of pictures I'd say it definitely is the same size as the Ankylosaurus. I can't recall if the size estimates for the two animals in real life are similar, but I'm looking forward to display them together anyway.

I didn't know the Polacanthus was smaller than the Ankylosaurus...

Yeah, I think Ankylosaurus is one of the largest, if not the largest, ankylosaur known. Probably the largest thyreophoran by mass, too, though maybe equaled in length by the largest stegosaurs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Aside from Dyoplosaurus and Tarchia, I know of no other ankylosaur that rivals Ankylosaurus in size.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Dr Andre Mursch(our own Brontodocus)

Said that the reconstruction by Kenneth Carpenter and the skeletal by Greg Paul resulted in a much shorter animal. he thinks that currently, Ankylosaurus is generally thought to be only around 6-7 m.

CityRaptor

Oh, just in case I sounded too negative, the Papo Polacanthus will most likely be my get to go Polacanthus.

Quote from: Gwangi on December 09, 2016, 06:20:49 PM
lol...you really have it out for mammals. Are you actually a reptilian yourself?  :o

*preens feathers* So you have discovered my true identiy! Cygnus Roc, Dinosaur Empire Science Hero 1st Class and Bodyguard of Dinosaur Empire Princess Daenerys Vainte Tu-al-sa Gola Naga Sparkle!

Fun aside, it's just so annoying that Dinosaur toys get so little space compared to modern animals ( which are usually like 80 or 90 % mammals ), usually having to share that little space with dragons.  And the "Dinosaurs are for little Kids" cliche is annoying, too. Collecting Breyer Horses is way more accepted than collecting Dinosaurs as an adult. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

The Atroxious

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 11, 2016, 12:35:31 PM
*preens feathers* So you have discovered my true identiy! Cygnus Roc, Dinosaur Empire Science Hero 1st Class and Bodyguard of Dinosaur Empire Princess Daenerys Vainte Tu-al-sa Gola Naga Sparkle!

Fun aside, it's just so annoying that Dinosaur toys get so little space compared to modern animals ( which are usually like 80 or 90 % mammals ), usually having to share that little space with dragons.  And the "Dinosaurs are for little Kids" cliche is annoying, too. Collecting Breyer Horses is way more accepted than collecting Dinosaurs as an adult.

The world needs more reptilians. Maybe if we had contact with real life dinosaur people, the save the vultures movement would be taken more seriously.

Interestingly enough, it's not just prehistoric dinosaurs that suffer from backseat presentation. Birds are so often overlooked by the masses. Notice how many different groups of mammals get representation as toys, and how few groups of birds do. Raptors, fowl, parrots, and passerines are all well and good, but where are the bucerotiformes or the podicipediformes? As far as I know even the hoatzin doesn't have a toy, which baffles me since it is such an impressive looking bird. Then there's the issue of how Mesozoic era non-avian dinosaurs get so much coverage, including tiny Anchiornis and Microraptor, but avian dinosaurs, even those known from mostly complete remains get nothing. Let's not even get into how many people view birds as pretty, but silly and inconsequential, and how many more movies there are about mammals than there are about dinosaurs, both avian and non-avian combined. Moreover, much to my chagrin, non-avian theropods are almost always portrayed as dumb brutes and/or cowards, which has always ruffled my feathers so to speak.

Dinosaurs rarely get a fair shake at things, which I have found fairly disappointing for almost my entire adult life.

Verahin

Quote from: Kikimalou on December 10, 2016, 06:06:07 AM
The Polacanthus is indeed a bit longer than the Ankylosaurus, because of the straighter tail. Nevertheless the head, legs and body are smaller.

Wow, if that's the case the Polacanthus might be more comparable in size to the Tupuxaura or other small Papos rather than Ankylosaurus, Styracosaurus, etc.

A comparison shot would be nice.

Postosuchus84

Papo is definitely "awesomebro", but that's not a terrible thing. I don't mind "awesomebro" designs myself as they do look cool. That Polacanthus does look desirable though. I'd love to see their take on an Acrocanthosaurus or even Megalosaurus though. I desperately need Megalosaurus replicas!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Postosuchus84 on December 11, 2016, 07:34:08 PM
Papo is definitely "awesomebro", but that's not a terrible thing. I don't mind "awesomebro" designs myself as they do look cool. That Polacanthus does look desirable though. I'd love to see their take on an Acrocanthosaurus or even Megalosaurus though. I desperately need Megalosaurus replicas!

you and me both!

Daspletotyrannus

Do we have an idea for when they are going to show the other dinosaurs?

Killekor

The Iguanodon and the Acro are confirmed?
I want to ask: it's possibile that Papo don't release One of them and release the Microraptor?

Thanks

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

tanystropheus

Quote from: Killekor on December 12, 2016, 12:45:08 AM
The Iguanodon and the Acro are confirmed?
I want to ask: it's possibile that Papo don't release One of them and release the Microraptor?

Thanks

Killekor

The odds of Papo not releasing either Iguanodon or Acrocanthosaurus and instead releasing a Microraptor is equal to
The odds of Papo not releasing either Iguanodon or Acrocanthosaurus and instead releasing a Pentaceratops but less than
The odds of Papo not releasing either Iguanodon or Acrocanthosaurus and instead releasing a Giganotosaurus

Having said this, Papo had 0% chance of releasing a Polacanthus before the December reveal. Now, there is a 100% likelihood of Papo releasing a Polacanthus. Probability is indeed a weird and wobbly concept.

Saurox

Most likely get something end of next week

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: