News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Atroxious

Quote from: suspsy on January 04, 2017, 11:56:32 PM
I was really hoping that the Feathered Raptor signified a major change for Papo, but that godawful Dimorphodon and the absence of feathered dinosaurs in the 2017 assortment have shattered that hope.

Now, I like feathered dinosaurs as much as the next guy (maybe more since all my favorite dinosaurs are maniraptoriformes) but I like Papo's 2017 lineup better than their 2016 lineup. The feathered Velociraptor didn't cut it for me, between the inaccurate proportions, sculpting the eyebrow ridges as horns, and the bad wing design. It hit most of my maniraptoriform depiction pet peeves, despite deviating from the usual retro, JP-esque style. At the very least, the upcoming Cryo looks appealing, even if the pose is questionable. Personally, I'd rather have one scaly dinosaur that looks good than a handful of awkward-looking feathered ones.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: The Atroxious on January 06, 2017, 04:47:10 AM
[...]I'd rather have one scaly dinosaur that looks good than a handful of awkward-looking feathered ones.
I share your point of view  ^-^
-

mmm... I think the choosen pose for the cryo is not related to being retro syle, but to handle the center of gravity problem. and at the same time, they took a risk on the feet posture of the Ceratosaurus.

I say again, I like this teropods, but "Holy fenestrae Batman!".
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

japfeif

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 06, 2017, 04:11:12 PM
[...]I'd rather have one scaly dinosaur that looks good than a handful of awkward-looking feathered ones.

I guess alot depends on what figures you find aesthetically pleasing and enjoyable to look at. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I absolutely detest feathered dinosaurs (even though the feathers on some dinosaurs are certainly a fact). I almost wish they had never discovered the feathers on iconic dinosaurs...or better yet, that the animals themselves never had them. I guess there is just something about seeing boyhood favorite dinosaurs like the big theropods, raptors, etc. looking less like vicious monsters & more like mutated chickens that kinda takes the wind out of one's sails.
Now mind, if you are  going for scientific accuracy the models should be feathered, as the animals obviously were. I just PREFER the look of the old traditional beasts with skin & scales & no feathers. Me personally, just to LOOK at, I would more would rather look at Papo's running T.rex sitting on my shelf than Safari's feathered T.rex, even though it's a  given that Safari's model is probably more accurate (I say "probably", as as far as I know there STILL is no direct evidence that Tyrannosaurus itself was covered in feathers). It sorta goes to the adage of "if you are gonna spend money, do you want something that you enjoy LOOKING at but isn't 100% accurate, or something you really do not care for but it more accurate. As I said, I almost wish the animals never had them and stayed the way we all grew up with! That said, however, if the animals DID have feathers, then I definitely want to see the companies make them that way, even if I personally like the look of the unfeathered dinosaurs better from a purely personal point of view.
I  guess that's why my collection is full of Safari & CollectA figures for scientific accuracy (well, "relative" accuracy sometimes!) and Papo figures for their (to me) striking aesthetic appeal. But that's just me!

Gwangi

Personally, I'd rather have one scaly dinosaur that looks good than a handful of awkward-looking feathered ones.

Funny you say that because I said basically the same thing just now in my Safari Velociraptor review that I posted on the blog this morning.

Reptilia

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on January 05, 2017, 08:39:33 PM
people here may prefer Wild Safari

Not me, love Papo!  ;D

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: japfeif on January 06, 2017, 04:59:08 PM
Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 06, 2017, 04:11:12 PM

I guess alot depends on what figures you find aesthetically pleasing and enjoyable to look at. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I absolutely detest feathered dinosaurs (even though the feathers on some dinosaurs are certainly a fact). I almost wish they had never discovered the feathers on iconic dinosaurs...or better yet, that the animals themselves never had them. I guess there is just something about seeing boyhood favorite dinosaurs like the big theropods, raptors, etc. looking less like vicious monsters & more like mutated chickens that kinda takes the wind out of one's sails.
Now mind, if you are  going for scientific accuracy the models should be feathered, as the animals obviously were. I just PREFER the look of the old traditional beasts with skin & scales & no feathers. Me personally, just to LOOK at, I would more would rather look at Papo's running T.rex sitting on my shelf than Safari's feathered T.rex, even though it's a  given that Safari's model is probably more accurate (I say "probably", as as far as I know there STILL is no direct evidence that Tyrannosaurus itself was covered in feathers). It sorta goes to the adage of "if you are gonna spend money, do you want something that you enjoy LOOKING at but isn't 100% accurate, or something you really do not care for but it more accurate. As I said, I almost wish the animals never had them and stayed the way we all grew up with! That said, however, if the animals DID have feathers, then I definitely want to see the companies make them that way, even if I personally like the look of the unfeathered dinosaurs better from a purely personal point of view.
I  guess that's why my collection is full of Safari & CollectA figures for scientific accuracy (well, "relative" accuracy sometimes!) and Papo figures for their (to me) striking aesthetic appeal. But that's just me!

You sir are a very progressive man, it's nice to see someone share their opinion in such a civil manner :) Although I don't agree with you on the aesthetic appeal of feathered versus non feathered (floof them all ;D) I'm glad you still respect the science behind all of these decisions instead of outright denying it. Like you said, collect whatever you find most appealing to look at  :)

Earthbound Einiosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Reptilia on January 06, 2017, 10:22:05 PM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on January 05, 2017, 08:39:33 PM
people here may prefer Wild Safari

Not me, love Papo!  ;D

Both companies are necessary and imprescible both for children and for those of us who are collectors of dinosaur toys and prehistoric animals.

On the other hand I have to emphasize that Papo makes some superdetailed figures, to the millimeter, but unfortunately they are not scientific. But it goes without saying that if they were made 100% scientific with the magnificent sculptors they have, they could live up to the best toys of prehistoric animals around the world.

Although I am a fan of Unconditional Safari and also obviously from Collecta I have to admit that Papo has his bewitness, beauty and exoticism, although he does not share many of his figures from the scientific point of view are good enough to entertain the children and what More important to thicken the shelves of which we are collectors.

Undoubtedly behind Safari and Collecta. Papo next to Rebor are my third favorite companies of toy.

tanystropheus

I think Papo upped the accuracy of their models for the non-JP species.

The Cryo looks great, a bit nightmare-in-elm streetish ; the posture is peculiar but not entirely implausible, given the circumstances

The Dimorphodon is the best JP representation available. It is one gorgeous model. I'm sure folks that don't pick up the model probably have an inclination towards it, either due to magnificent repulsion and/or backhanded admiration. Although, the collector's commitment to duty ('logistics') prevails.

I think the Acro would look pretty grand if reimagined in REBOR's color scheme.

empire3569

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 07, 2017, 02:21:54 AM

I think the Acro would look pretty grand if reimagined in REBOR's color scheme.

I had the same thought, and have already contacted Martin Garrett about repainting it to match the Rebor one ;) Going to be a killer diorama with the two

Reptilia

I imagine both Acrocanthosaurus and Ceratosaurus to look way better with the Cryolophosaurus colour scheme. A bit disappointed with the colours Papo choose for their new beasts, especially the Acrocanthosaurus. It was supposed to be the main feature of this year's line-up and they have just recycled the same pattern of the T-Rex repaints, how lazy.

Shadowknight1

I keep seeing that the Acro has the same "colors" as the rainbow rex...HOW?!

Borrowed from suspsy's review:

They barely resemble each other!  I'm partially color-blind and I can see the difference!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

RobinGoodfellow

...well, it seems that Purple is the new Black....  ;)

tanystropheus

They look the same to me...

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's a similar color palette , but not pattern, with even more orange.   Doesn't bother me n the least, I don't have a rainbow rex as i dislike company's issuing repaints in general and these colors feel better done to me on the Acro...regardless these can always be repainted.

Nanuqsaurus

Barely resemble eachother? ??? The color scheme is almost exactly the same on both figures. Purple on the back, then yellow-purple-yellow striping below that, and light grey on the belly and lower jaw.

spinosaurus1

the acrocanthosaurus just have considerably better paint applications while using the same color scheme. i like the arrangement and blend of colors much more on the acro figure then the rex.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on January 07, 2017, 08:39:23 AM
Barely resemble eachother? ??? The color scheme is almost exactly the same on both figures. Purple on the back, then yellow-purple-yellow striping below that, and light grey on the belly and lower jaw.

Claws and eyes are a different color entirely, the rex has red spots on the (much darker!) purple on its back, and the "stripes" on the Acro are much more orange than that pale yellow that's on the rex.  Plus the way the colors are arranged are much different.  So yes, they barely resemble each other.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

suspsy

They definitely resemble each other.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

I guess we can chalk this up to personal opinion or start a poll? lol

suspsy

Seriously. They look like they're on the same sports team.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: