News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

japfeif

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 23, 2016, 12:51:32 PM
Quote from: suspsy on December 23, 2016, 12:19:56 PM
Quote from: hao_bao on December 23, 2016, 10:06:27 AM
Everyone pretends to be too cool and scientific for Papo dinosaurs then each year they erupt into boyish excitement when they're revealed. You only need to count the pages of this thread in comparison to the other company lines. :P

Huh?
??? I'm never a fan of Papo, I never "erupt into boyish excitement" once they're revealed.

hehe...I know I do!!! Love Papo, the most realistic animal figures out there for looking "alive" at a distance of 5 feet....if not the most scientifically accurate (but IMO no where NEAR as bad as some folks make out. One pronated hand, inaccurate primary feather arrangement, or shrinkwrapped head and watch out! ha)
Beautiful  models to look at though.

Shonisaurus

The Papo models of prehistoric dinosaurs and animals are not scientific except for some exceptions (styracosaurus, apatosaurus and tupuxuara among others). But you have to agree and that is to thank that his figures are superdetailed to the maximum and that I have in mind.

Although I prefer other brands like Safari or Collecta that does not mean I will not buy all their figures even their infamous "smilodon" for saying something and dimorphodon. Especially I like the acrocanthosaurus and even the ceratosaurus although that figure I do not see it as finished as the brilliant acrocanthosaurus whose colors are more realistic.

On the other hand the texture of the Papo dinosaurs is pleasant and it is necessary to emphasize that they are resistant to the abrasions by fall the successive layers of painting they make resistant these figures to the abrasions and the deterioration and that it is valued to him. Although that from the scientific point of view except the figures I mentioned and maybe there are some more, unfortunately give much to be desired.

However, they are more affordable from the economic point of view than other companies like Rebor whose teröpodos do not stand in many cases well standing.

utd7

Do we know the estimated release dates of PAPO's 2017 prehistoric models?
We live in a Jurassic World

Postosuchus84

Not usually a fan of Papo, but I do like their stylistic approach on the Acrocanthosaurus and Ceratosaurus. They definitely look full of "awesome" though yeah, not much for accuracy. The Crylophosaurus and Dimorphodon look kind of cool as well if even like Jurassic Park stylized dinosaurs.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Postosuchus84 on January 02, 2017, 08:19:00 PM
Not usually a fan of Papo, but I do like their stylistic approach on the Acrocanthosaurus and Ceratosaurus. They definitely look full of "awesome" though yeah, not much for accuracy. The Crylophosaurus and Dimorphodon look kind of cool as well if even like Jurassic Park stylized dinosaurs.

They are not at all scientific but they are worth buying because they are detailed and well painted and especially their soft texture.

I believe that his figures from the prehistoric world, with the exception of honorable exceptions, would enter into the figures of the fantastic world of the same company. I say this without any offense.

But those who are beautiful sculptures are mostly the acrocanthosaurus and even the ceratosaurus.

Postosuchus84

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 02, 2017, 09:01:03 PM
Quote from: Postosuchus84 on January 02, 2017, 08:19:00 PM

They are not at all scientific but they are worth buying because they are detailed and well painted and especially their soft texture.

I believe that his figures from the prehistoric world, with the exception of honorable exceptions, would enter into the figures of the fantastic world of the same company. I say this without any offense.

But those who are beautiful sculptures are mostly the acrocanthosaurus and even the ceratosaurus.

Agreed. I'm not opposed to owning/collecting inaccurate dinosaur replicas and models whatsoever. They're a vehicle to get people interested in my mind and that's where their value is, plus it makes me feel nostalgic of the 80s when I grew up. I love them all just the same though. That ranges from the inaccurate, the stylized, and accurate models. I can't tell you how much I'd love the Megalosaurus 4 legged animal design in a toy to sit on my desk. The same goes with tail-dragging dinosaurs too, I've got plenty of Marx and Imperial dinosaur toys in storage. Same with my Dino-Riders dinosaurs (I've long since lost the gear and laser guns sadly).Even the Jurassic Park style is definitely cool and displayed as well by me. I'd love to see more accurate designs though as the market can be over saturated with all the inaccurate ones, but that looks like that is changing somewhat as time and science goes on. I have quite a few of Papo, Wild Safari, Carnegie, Collecta, Battat Terra, and more as well.

hao_bao

Quote from: japfeif on January 01, 2017, 09:40:52 PM
Everyone pretends to be too cool and scientific for Papo dinosaurs then each year they erupt into boyish excitement when they're revealed. You only need to count the pages of this thread in comparison to the other company lines. :P

Huh?
??? I'm never a fan of Papo, I never "erupt into boyish excitement" once they're revealed.

hehe...I know I do!!! Love Papo, the most realistic animal figures out there for looking "alive" at a distance of 5 feet....if not the most scientifically accurate (but IMO no where NEAR as bad as some folks make out. One pronated hand, inaccurate primary feather arrangement, or shrinkwrapped head and watch out! ha)

I often wondered what was meant by 'shrink-wrapped head'  ;D

stargatedalek

Quote from: hao_bao on January 03, 2017, 04:26:11 PM
Quote from: japfeif on January 01, 2017, 09:40:52 PM

Huh?

I often wondered what was meant by 'shrink-wrapped head'  ;D
It means that you can see the openings in the skull besides just the nostrils, which you shouldn't be able to on a living animal.

CityRaptor

I think there are worse cases of that. The Schleich Barapasaurus comes to mind, especially given that the rest of the body is beefy.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Tyto_Theropod

The Cryolophosaurus is easily my favourite of these, but I'll probably give it a miss because shrink-wrapped heads offend me. Is it just that the forum's made me a lot fussier, or are Papo slowly losing accuracy each year? IMHO, though, and I'm sorry to have to say it, the two mammals look even more like movie monsters than the dinosaurs do... I think I'm with most people in that Papo looks pretty but is far too 'awesomebro' for my tastes.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on January 03, 2017, 11:10:19 PM
The Cryolophosaurus is easily my favourite of these, but I'll probably give it a miss because shrink-wrapped heads offend me. Is it just that the forum's made me a lot fussier, or are Papo slowly losing accuracy each year? IMHO, though, and I'm sorry to have to say it, the two mammals look even more like movie monsters than the dinosaurs do... I think I'm with most people in that Papo looks pretty but is far too 'awesomebro' for my tastes.

Quite the opposite actually, Papo gets more and more accurate every year. Just compare the original raptor and the new one.

CarnegieCollector

My favorite is the Acrocanthosaurus!  ;D
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Takama

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on January 04, 2017, 11:31:41 PM

Quite the opposite actually, Papo gets more and more accurate every year. Just compare the original raptor and the new one.

IT all depends on what source of Inspiration they take from. it has nothing to do with accuracy from them

For instance, how is the new Dimorphodon  Scientifically Accurate? its design was ripped straight from Jurassic World

suspsy

I was really hoping that the Feathered Raptor signified a major change for Papo, but that godawful Dimorphodon and the absence of feathered dinosaurs in the 2017 assortment have shattered that hope.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

Well, to be fair, none of those theropods is a Coelurusaur. And at least the dermal armor of Ceratosaurus suggests that it was not feathered.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 05, 2017, 12:07:39 AM
Well, to be fair, none of those theropods is a Coelurusaur. And at least the dermal armor of Ceratosaurus suggests that it was not feathered.

Oh, I know. I'm saying it's a shame Papo didn't include any feathered dinosaurs this year. Indeed, I'm rather bored of big, bad theropods.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Quote from: Takama on January 04, 2017, 11:53:31 PMIT all depends on what source of Inspiration they take from. it has nothing to do with accuracy from them

For instance, how is the new Dimorphodon  Scientifically Accurate? its design was ripped straight from Jurassic World

I would argue the Dimorphodon is among Papo's most accurate. Accurate just means how close something is to its source material, and their source material was very clearly JW. Frankly they came through where Hasbro couldn't and I for one am grateful I can add a JW Dimorphodon that has genuine skill and production value behind it to my JP collection.

There is no shame in making stylized dinosaurs, so long as they aren't marketed as anything but *cough* like Schleich does *cough*.

Reptilia

Definitely love the Dimorphodon (a superb JW replica) and Cryolophosaurus, about the rest I still don't know exactly what to think. Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus have a recognizible Papo vibe going on, and that's cool, but there's something in both figures' colour scheme and pose that does not satisfy me completely. Plus I'm persuaded that Papo is going after Rebor with these two specific models, and I still prefer Rebor versions. Probably I'll change my mind, but at the moment Rebors look a lot more natural than Papos for me.

Shonisaurus

By the way speaking of comparisons between Rebor and Papo to me are more realistic the dimorphodones of Rebor than the one of Papo.

That yes the acrocanthosaurus Papo improves to that of Rebor. By the way has not revealed the company the actual measurements of figures of dimorphodon and cryolophosaurus will be that they are very small? I guess the dimorphodon will have a size similar to the tupuxuara and the cryolophosaurus will not be rocket size wise, it's a bit bigger than the dilophosaurus (I'd give it a tooth chant).

I would have liked an iguanodon and a giganotosaurus 2017 Papo but unfortunately they have not done it.

On the other hand the company in reference does not make figure of prehistoric mammals vanguardistas like does Safari and of course Collecta. All prehistoric mammals are from the glacial era. At least they could realize South American mammals like thylacosmilus, glyptodon, megatherium, macrauchenia or toxodon that are more or less contemporary prehistoric animals of smilodon.

It would have been interesting a paraceratherium that although represented in Collecta still there is not one of quality in the market of the toy.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on January 04, 2017, 11:56:32 PM

I was really hoping that the Feathered Raptor signified a major change for Papo, but that godawful Dimorphodon and the absence of feathered dinosaurs in the 2017 assortment have shattered that hope.

Well this particular Dimorphodon isn't trying to be the animal that lived in our universe, so I do think it deserves a little bit of leeway. Ignoring it, all the other models are great. The new theropods are brightly colored with correct hands and are not obviously based on popculture. It is a great improvement in my mind, people here may prefer Wild Safari but these models clearly show that Papo is at least trying.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: