You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What are your rules for collecting? AKA What do you collect and why?

Started by Faelrin, November 25, 2016, 12:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

So I'm wondering what to collect myself, being sort of new to it, and I'm wondering what others collect to get an idea. Aside from what I bought from BotM and Jurassic World, I'm relatively new to collecting, so I'm trying to form my own ideas of what I want, and my own rules, since this can be a very expensive hobby if there isn't some self control and limitations put into place for what to buy. I know there's the other thread asking about what one is interested in for any given model/toy/etc, but I suppose I want to expand that for collections in general. So things like contemporary species (trying to create a diorama or having enough species to reflect a particular ecosystem, such as hell creek, etc), personal favorite species, specific groups of animals only (sauropods only for example), the same scale, etc. I suppose accuracy could fit into this discussion as well, such as limiting oneself to only getting things that are (currently) scientifically accurate? Or have no limitation on accuracy (AKA allowing yourself to get things from Jurassic Park, etc, but maybe accurate things as well)? I'm really wondering about how to go about this myself, as there are many figures I like from what I've seen, but quite honestly, there's no way to afford all of them in a short span of time, before new things come up, and I want those as well. Granted space is obviously another issue. So what rules do you all have in place for collecting?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

EmperorDinobot

Ever since I was young, I decided I would collect only what I wanted in order to keep a slightly cohesive narrative. I've collected Batman figures for most of my life, with their quantities numbering in the 600's of individual figures from every era. When it comes to dinosaurs though, I'll collect anthing and everything, but my focus has always been Jurassic Park, Safari (Carnegie), dinosaur action figures (with some articulation), some Schleich (I'm not a completist here), and my ultimate goal is to have a complete JP collection (goal complete, excluding modern JW trash), to have a complete Safari collection, and a complete Battat collection. I also collect some Transformers, focusing on dinosaur types, I have some Zoids, all which are dinosaurs, and some other toys but very few on that regard. I will not accept those dreadful Ninja Turtles anywhere in my toy collection, for example. Nononono.

Pachyrhinosaurus

At one point I would have bought any figure that I liked, but more recently I decided not to start collecting from lines I haven't started, since I'd rather spend my money on kits and fossil casts, but at the same time there are lots of nice lower-end figures I like and  some I still wouldn't mind having. Most of these are retired or inactive lines (Carnegie, Invicta, Battat, Bullyland) but the only active one is WS. The oddball pieces are exceptions (like the cast iron dinosaur bank I found at an antique store).
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

The way I limit myself is only allowing myself one version of each genus, or two if they're in very different scales (as in, at least a factor of 2). I also don't collect the Cenozoic, which means when I buy bulk lots to complete parts of my collection, I usually have something left over to trade with people.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Archinto

My rules are as follows.

If it is a good deal, buy it.

I collect pretty much any prehistoric figure, but my main afflictions are vintage figures, and action figure dinosaurs
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Brontozaurus

1) Can I afford it.

But really aside from that I buy based on aesthetics and rarity of either the toy itself or the species it represents.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

sauroid

im a prehistoric figure generalist. i just dont acquire the blatantly crappy figures, especially if they are unreasonably expensive like S*******.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stargatedalek

Quote from: sauroid on November 25, 2016, 02:47:33 PM
i just dont acquire the blatantly crappy figures, especially if they are unreasonably expensive like S*******.
I wouldn't phrase it the same way but I agree with the general sentiment. I would never pay that much (let alone for something that I can't really interact with and can only watch on a shelf).

Jose S.M.

When I decided to collect figures, I decided for dinosaurs first, and my first haul was the 4 Doug Watson's safari ceratopsians and the w.s Triceratops. So I decided that future figures shouldn't be out of proportion with those, but that rule has been flexible and will be abandoned since Safari made some bigger figures for 2017. When I get the safaris and CollectA from 2016 ( I'm missing 2 of each brand) and the 20 17 ones  (this year hopefully), I will start with non dinosaurs.

Lanthanotus

Great topic and I am surprised by the variety of replies yet :)

Personally I never really collected anything before, well, as a kid I started to collect stamps for a time but without much eagerness, same goes for rubber erasers (there was quiet a number of dino rubers back then), so that dinosaur thing is my first real collection (though some may call my Lego SW and Technic "collection" a collection).

In general I acquire only those figures that I find aesthetical in terms of genus, general mould, stance, color or customization potential. Also I prefer "toy" figures, better to say figures that can withstand some handling by me and my son, so I own just one Shapeways figure (cause I couldn't resists and wanted to see how those figures are). From time to time I also buy a "rare" figure if chances/prices are good, mostly with the intention to trade it. I do not care about lines or brands.

DinoLord

I just realized a rule I've started to enforce more and more as shelf space becomes limited. If there's a figure that's aesthetically pleasing, but of a species that has a more accurate toy representation, I will pass on it. For example earlier I was in a museum gift shop contemplating the Papo Kaprosuchus, but decided against it given the accuracy flaws like the skull lacking many distinct features combined with the fact that I already have the more accurate Wild Safari figure. Similarly I'll be selling my copy of the penultimate Wild Safari T. rex now that the feathered one is out.

Shonisaurus

I consider myself a collector and fond of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals quite compulsive. In fact I spend in any circumstance of my life thinking only dinosaurs twenty-four hours (except when I'm sleeping) of the three hundred and sixty-five days of the year my life is focused on work and duty and in the collection of dinosaurs prehistoric books .

I like all kinds of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals that are reasonably well done even if they are inaccurate (like models Schleich, Papo, Rebor among others). That yes I usually buy all the models at one time What is my secret to buy all the figures and not ruin me?

First is my only known vice or hobby.

Second, because of the circumstances of my life, I do not have a family of my own, that is to say, my children, my wife, I do not walk with many friends (I am a person "going free in the world"), which has a beneficial effect on reducing expenses.

Third, I never bought badly made figures as I call myself or figures of stores of everything to a hundred.

Fourth, I am not in favor of the overly articulated figures as happens with respect to the Jurassic Park dinosaurs. Neither spending on resin figures due to the excessive costs and space that must be dedicated to such figures, example I have no figure of Sideshow.

Fifth I plan the expenses months in advance.

And sixth and last I do a war economy all year round. Everything that I buy from dinosaurs and prehistoric animals I compensate with the saving and even I renounce to the most essential things of the life as I say I am not friend of amusements.

The Atroxious

When buying toys, I really don't officially set limits on what I buy beyond the practical, such as cost and space issues. I like to be flexible, and only buy toys that are especially meaningful to me, so the appeal of any given figure is more important to me than whether the figure fits into an established collection. That said, it's a different story when it comes to dinosaur toys than it is for any other toy I might buy. I specifically collect theropod dinosaurs (and in some cases, fictional theropod inspired creatures) with a strong preference for maniraptoriformes. I tend to be rather strict about this mostly because I find non-theropod dinosaurs to be somewhat distracting from my main collection, though I don't rule out purchasing the odd stegosaur or plateosaur figure sometime in the future and sorting them separately from my theropod collection. Scientific accuracy is important to a large degree concerning figures that are designed to represent real genera, though I'm willing to overlook an inaccuracy or two if I find the figure appealing enough. Basically, I buy whatever toy strikes my fancy, but theropods are special to me, so in that sense my dinosaur collection consists of the only toys I buy based on a predetermined theme. I also don't like it when people don't think real theropods are good enough as they are, and, say, try to make Velociraptor or Carnotaurus more imposing to the point where they barely resemble the animal they're supposed to be, so I don't buy inaccurate toys because if I like an animal enough to buy a toy of it, I want to see it depicted as the animal I like.

Neosodon

I usually get about 10 models per year mostly collecta's and safari's new releases. They are the only companies that can seem to produce quality models at reasonable prices. Well these are the basic guidelines I use for picking what dinosaurs to get.

1. It needs to be well sculpted and painted.
2. It needs to me relativity to scale with my other models.
3. Prefer a model that adds diversity to my collection.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Flaffy

My decisions are heavily influenced by the species.
I prefer obscure species to be in my collection.
Accuracy is the next most important factor.
Last but not least is the sculpt quality and detail.

Halichoeres

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 04, 2016, 06:33:02 PM
My decisions are heavily influenced by the species.
I prefer obscure species to be in my collection.
Accuracy is the next most important factor.
Last but not least is the sculpt quality and detail.

That's very similar to my approach!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Saurox

I vary between choosing between aesthetics and 'authenticity'.

I got into dinosaurs thanks to the mighty morphin power rangers and collected the Orbis Dinosaur magazines (including 3d glasses and Binder.
Immediately after came the first Jurassic park movie, which depicted loosely the most accurate portrayals according to Jack Horner (at the time).

As a result I collect both 'accurate' representations based off of paleontological theories (usually safari and CollectA) and the more 'pop-culture' inspired art pieces (Papo and to some degree Rebor and Schleich).

I take little issue with what company sells what regardless of popularity, but instead enjoy the range of possibilities and interpretations available.

Gwangi

I'm pretty simple, I collect what I like.  :P

Seriously though, I do collect a little bit of everything. I like unique and offbeat stuff, retro figures, and of course the modern classics by the likes of Safari. Accuracy is important to a large degree but character plays a big part too. Of course shelf space and cost are also factors. This is not my primary hobby so it often sits on the back-burner. I'm not a completest except where two companies are concerned; Battat and Invicta. Really though, that's only because I actually like everything those companies offer. If I don't like a toy I won't add it to my collection, even if it completes a set. And toys are also what I primarily collect. I don't have the space or money for high end stuff and dogs, cats, and a toddler means nice things tend to get broken. I also consider myself a bargain hunter. I would rather pay less later than more now in most cases.

Georassic

I have several limiting quirks on my collecting:
--no animals that are known from such scant remains that their appearance is entirely speculative or based pretty much just on similar genera.
--Accuracy. I can live with common flaws like pronated hands on older figures and incorrect toes, but I will pass on figures that get known distinguishing characteristics wrong, or that receive bad DTF reviews, either formally or on these forum pages.
--no marine life, because my window diorama doesn't feature ocean.
--no Cenozoic.
--Scales generally between 1:10 and 1:60, with an occasional exception allowed.

I sometimes think about loosening the reins on the bottom three quirks, but I already spend enough and still have a hard enough time keeping up with my wish list.  ;D

Fenestra

I collect because it gives me pleasure.
My knowledge of dinosaurs is subpar to most of the people on this forum, but I loved dinosaurs since I was a child.
I was interested enough then to learn some of their names. I could recognize a stegosaurus from an ankylosaurus as a kid, that's for sure.
Many (many) years passed by and all of a sudden I was lucky enough to get tickets for the live show "Walking with dinosaurs TOUR" and I was hooked again! That show just blew my mind! I loved it so much!
The very next day I bought my first dinosaur model: the Papo walking T-Rex.   ;D

My spending money is very tight, so I gave myself strict rules for collecting dinosaur models.
This is the list I go through every time I see something I want to buy:

1. Do I like it at first sight? (Not because some raving reviews.)
2. Is it in scale 1:30 - 1:35? (Otherwise I will not buy it.) <--- this is my worst rule.  :'(
3.  Is it worth the price? (Depending on Like or LOVE at first sight I can splash out some money here.) <--- me compensating my worst rule.  ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: