You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Is this a real painted Invicta Troodon?

Started by Roselaar, June 14, 2012, 08:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

Anybody know what to make of this? I though a painted Invicta Troodon was never produced. Plus, the neck looks suspiciously odd and the paint job style differs from the other painted Invictasaurs. Custom figure, or could it be for real?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Roselaar on June 14, 2012, 08:33:10 PM
Anybody know what to make of this? I though a painted Invicta Troodon was never produced. Plus, the neck looks suspiciously odd and the paint job style differs from the other painted Invictasaurs. Custom figure, or could it be for real?

There is a book out on building model dinosaurs, been out for awhile and inside it the author takes a troodon from invicta and paints it almost identically to that piece. I wonder if his book might have inspired a copy cat? I seem to think the book was called....Building and Painting Model Dinosaurs. Author was named Ray Rimell. In his picture his piece resembles this quite closely.
It looks like a custom painted invicta to me
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Roselaar

I would say custom too, but it's out there on a popular auction site with its seller claiming it's the real thing (though he may be so immoral as to lie to his would-be customers...).

amargasaurus cazaui

Mixed feelings for me. I am not knowledgeable enough to answer for certain. For my money I would say custom, just because the painted invictas seem a bit..more crisp in the colors and lines. Can you ask the seller for a closeup of the inscription that is generally on most museum dinosaurs? I would think invictas carry that , helping to establish its at least a legitimate sculpt
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Seijun

This is what the seller told me:
"I live in Leicester where the Invicta factory is, and I find a lot of these dinosaurs on the second hand market, so have no real idea of his history. From the areas of paint rubbing, he looks the same colour as a normal one underneath"

So I am almost certain that this is a custom paint job. Factory painted invictas were made of an opaque rubbery plastic, but this one is a normal pink color underneath, and a normal hard plastic. Also, it looks very "hand-painted", like a paintbrush was most likely used. Factory-painted invictas were airbrushed with a stencil. There is the (extremely) remote possibility that this one was a test-paint of some sort, made by invicta before they started mass producing their painted line, but even if that is the case there would never be any way to know for certain in this particular case.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Roselaar

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'll go with custom. If it somehow turns out to be for real, too bad for me. :)

Dip

Looks custom to me. I live in Leicester too and I have never come across anything like this. That's not to say its not an original but I have my doubts. This will go for a mad price I think. Not something I would risk personally.

DinoToyForum

UK

I will give an update when it arrives. I suspect it is a custom but it looks good.

Himmapaan

When we say 'opaque', do we actually mean 'transparent'? I seem to recall the painted ones being so, unless I'm mistaken.

Of course, if we actually do mean opaque, then I'm not sure the emphasis is necessary, since even the monochrome ones are opaque too; i.e. not see-through;D

SBell

Quote from: Himmapaan on June 18, 2012, 04:44:29 AM
When we say 'opaque', do we actually mean 'transparent'? I seem to recall the painted ones being so, unless I'm mistaken.

Of course, if we actually do mean opaque, then I'm not sure the emphasis is necessary, since even the monochrome ones are opaque too; i.e. not see-through;D

I think 'translucent' is the word people are searching for here--not quite see through, but somewhat clear.

And given the legal hassles with the original monochrome, I highly doubt they bothered with a factory painted one.

brach81

Quote from: SBell on June 18, 2012, 06:11:49 AMAnd given the legal hassles with the original monochrome, I highly doubt they bothered with a factory painted one.

What were the legal hassles about? Sorry but not been on this forum for long.

SBell

Quote from: brach81 on June 18, 2012, 02:00:46 PM
Quote from: SBell on June 18, 2012, 06:11:49 AMAnd given the legal hassles with the original monochrome, I highly doubt they bothered with a factory painted one.

It was copyright stuff--another company was apparently involved (there are two listed on the base) and somehow that caused problems, which is why the figure was not offered for very long.

UK

It is a custom painted piece.... paint rub exposes the usual molded colour of the figure and the plastic is more rigid than those used in the true painted versions.

Nice item though.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: SBell on June 18, 2012, 02:16:34 PM
Quote from: brach81 on June 18, 2012, 02:00:46 PM

It was copyright stuff--another company was apparently involved (there are two listed on the base) and somehow that caused problems, which is why the figure was not offered for very long.

I didn't know about this either - if it was discussed previously on the forum I somehow missed it. :-[ Libraraptor didn't mention it in his review either. But, you are quite correct, I just checked the base of my Invicta Stenonychosaurus and the other company is listed as 'Archosaur Reproductions Ltd'. It seems a bit odd that Invicta couldn't provide both figure and base. so, was Invicta responsible for the animal or the base, or did the companies work in conjunction on both base and animal? Is there a thread on the V1 forum explaining this, I'm intrigued...

indy1936

I believe one of the recent issues of Prehistoric Times addresses all of these questions about the Invicta Troodon.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: indy1936 on June 19, 2012, 07:22:58 PM
I believe one of the recent issues of Prehistoric Times addresses all of these questions about the Invicta Troodon.

That's an issue I should track down 8) Do you know which one, or who authored the article?

Roselaar

Quote from: UK on June 19, 2012, 06:23:41 PM
It is a custom painted piece.... paint rub exposes the usual molded colour of the figure and the plastic is more rigid than those used in the true painted versions.

Nice item though.

Thanks for letting me know. Another mystery solved.  :)

indy1936

Quote from: dinotoyforum on June 19, 2012, 07:32:36 PM

That's an issue I should track down 8) Do you know which one, or who authored the article?

I believe it's the current issue #101.  Part 3 of a series on Invicta/British Museum dinosaurs.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on June 19, 2012, 07:32:36 PM

The troodon article is in the latest issue, which I believe is the last of the 4 part series done on Invicta. Oh, yes, the series was written by CollectA's very own Anthony Beeson! Great informative article about the entire Invicta line, a must read for fans of it :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: