You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Feathered dinosaur tail preserved in amber

Started by DinoToyForum, December 08, 2016, 06:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Neosodon on December 08, 2016, 07:43:05 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 08, 2016, 07:31:02 PM
I think we're moving closer to finding a whole dinosaur trapped in amber one day..at least i hope so!
Amber is tree sap right? I have a hard time imagining a tree leaking enough sap to preserve an entire dinosaur but it sure would be cool if we got one of T Rex and finally put the whole feather debate to rest.

Bear in mind that it says this dinosaur would only have been the size of a sparrow, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 08, 2016, 08:32:02 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 08, 2016, 08:26:50 PM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on December 08, 2016, 08:10:02 PM
It's impossible to know the taphonomic details on this fella. All we know is that we're so lucky to be seeing this now!
Impossible to be sure, but I think it's safe to rule out dromaeosaurs and true birds since the vertebrae aren't fused or supported.

"taphonomic", not taxonomic. ;)

Yip!

ItsTwentyBelow

Simon

The Atroxious

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on December 08, 2016, 08:30:33 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on December 08, 2016, 08:26:06 PM
Look at that beauty!!!!!

Anybody else fascinated by the weird branching patterns of those feathers?

It is indeed weird. They look like very long, very thin semiplumes. Interesting arrangement for tail feathers. I'm very curious as to what kind of dinosaur this is, since there's a chance it will give us some more insight into the evolution of complex feathers.

Dinomike

This is really interesting and astounding! I'm really interested in finding out what they find inside the amber on a molecular level.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Halichoeres

My pet taphonomy theory for this is that some larger dinosaur or maybe a pterosaur was dismembering the little guy and dropped the tail on a sticky bit of branch, where it was slowly covered as it dried out.

Turns out this part of Myanmar has recently produced literally tons of amber, so there could be all kinds of interesting stuff left to discover.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sigmasaurus

Wow, I heard about it recently, it's a fascinating find!

Silvanusaurus

Someone, somewhere in the world could have a piece of amber with supposed 'plant' remains in it that just 'coincidentally' happen to have a shape resembling a strange little bird with teeth... and they think "Ha, ferns had some pretty funky shapes back then, didn't they?"
Not that funky, mate. Not that funky.

Faelrin

I just found out about this. Came here immediately because I was sure this news was posted here. First the wings in amber, now a tail! This may be the closest we ever get to see what these animals were like, with the skin, etc, still on them. It also seems so surreal looking at something so ancient and yet still here. An artifact of the past, but a modern treasure that one is. I don't know if I will ever be ready for the day if they find a head in amber though. That may be truly shocking, and awesome, at the same time. 
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ceratopsian

Quote from: Faelrin on December 10, 2016, 01:31:12 AM
... It also seems so surreal looking at something so ancient and yet still here......

My feeling exactly.  I'm astonished and awed.  I'm thrilled such a wonderful fossil has surfaced in my lifetime.

laticauda

The colors on the tail were chestnut brown with a pale or white underside.  This is not a complaint with such an amazing and wonderful discovery, but it would have been awesome if it had a more colorful feathers. 

Derek.McManus

Quote from: Faelrin on December 10, 2016, 01:31:12 AM
I just found out about this. Came here immediately because I was sure this news was posted here. First the wings in amber, now a tail! This may be the closest we ever get to see what these animals were like, with the skin, etc, still on them. It also seems so surreal looking at something so ancient and yet still here. An artifact of the past, but a modern treasure that one is. I don't know if I will ever be ready for the day if they find a head in amber though. That may be truly shocking, and awesome, at the same time.

Sums up how I feel too...as a child growing up in the 70's I never dreamed about the things we would find out about dinosaurs...In my day they dragged their tails and lived in swamps!

Moodyraptor

Quote from: laticauda on December 10, 2016, 01:45:53 PM
The colors on the tail were chestnut brown with a pale or white underside.  This is not a complaint with such an amazing and wonderful discovery, but it would have been awesome if it had a more colorful feathers.

While a brightly coloured dinosaur would be extremely cool, chestnut brown can be a really striking colour on extant dinosaurs - I'm thinking of birds like red kites, they have chestnut brown feathers and when the sun catches them they flash bright red, they're incredibly beautiful birds.   :)

This is just such an incredible discovery, I can't stop looking at it.

laticauda

Quote from: Moodyraptor on December 10, 2016, 03:00:09 PM

While a brightly coloured dinosaur would be extremely cool, chestnut brown can be a really striking colour on extant dinosaurs - I'm thinking of birds like red kites, they have chestnut brown feathers and when the sun catches them they flash bright red, they're incredibly beautiful birds.   :)

Good point!  :)

Mamasaurus

Wow! I never cease to be amazed by the beauty of such amazing fossils. What a great time to be alive! Just more proof that prehistoric life was just as diverse, beautiful, and interesting as our modern ecosystems. Like those feathers. Without the limitations of flight, who knows how many different shapes feathers had? :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Paleogene Pals

Imagine, I get to see such things. The image of the dinosaur has changed so dramatically in my lifetime. What discoveries await!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: laticauda on December 10, 2016, 03:16:25 PM
Quote from: Moodyraptor on December 10, 2016, 03:00:09 PM

Good point!  :)

Indeed! While not necessarily very flashy, certain combinations of shades of brown and white can be very pleasing to the eye. I always picture pet finches when I try to imagine dromaeosaur plumage. I particularly like the Spice Finch:

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 09, 2016, 10:50:31 PM
My pet taphonomy theory for this is that some larger dinosaur or maybe a pterosaur was dismembering the little guy and dropped the tail on a sticky bit of branch, where it was slowly covered as it dried out.

Turns out this part of Myanmar has recently produced literally tons of amber, so there could be all kinds of interesting stuff left to discover.

I like to believe that the rest of the baby is out there encased in glops of amber. But it probably decomposed as the resin hardened just that section while carnivorous bugs fed on the rest of it. It's a really weird taphonomic scenario. Everything applies. Then again there's the digging and polishing part.

Neosodon

Now wild safari has an excuse for why half of their models are brown with white undersides.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: