News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Retro figures in production

Started by Reptilia, January 21, 2017, 04:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Can anybody point me out some good retro style figures which are easily available and/or affordable, if there are any?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hmmm..Marx figures, Imperial, Tyco, there are a lot them. some easier to find than others.

Gwangi

Many of the Invicta British Museum figures are quite affordable. Then there are the rare ones...

Reptilia

I like Invictas a lot, but I was thinking more to something that's still in production, maybe in the camp of PVC figures. I don't know of any, but I'm not an expert.

CityRaptor

Lots of Chinasaurs, some Mojo Fun, the new Schleich Mini T.rex.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

I'd say these are just ugly rather than retro?

CityRaptor

At least this one is Schleich Quality Ugliness!
Oh no

Gwangi

I don't think you're going to find any retro figures still in production that aren't cheap and ugly chinasaurs.   :-\

CityRaptor

Well, the Schleich Minis are made in Germany, so they are just ugly and not Chinasaurs. And I would not consider 3.99 per figures cheap, they are toob sized.
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Basically any figure not up to the current scientific ideal can be " retro" .  dragging tails/wrong number of toes, ect..   The Schleich Apato  is a good one,  many 80s/90s Carnegies ,  just about everything Papo makes ..your options are far from limited.

CityRaptor

I guess it all depends on how retro. 90s? 50s? Crystal Palace Retro?
Oh no

Moodyraptor

I would love figures of the Crystal Palace dinos  :)

Gwangi

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 21, 2017, 02:40:18 PM
Well, the Schleich Minis are made in Germany, so they are just ugly and not Chinasaurs. And I would not consider 3.99 per figures cheap, they are toob sized.

The company is based in Germany but they're still made in China. Either way, I would just call them ugly and not really retro. Their older stuff maybe. It's all subjective anyway. Good retro figures were made when "retro" was scientifically accurate and modern (Marx, Invicta, Tyco) and those aren't made anymore.

CityRaptor

Actually the Minis are made in Germany. All the others Schleich Dinosaurs are indeed made in China. I was surprised myself that the Minis were made in Germany.
Oh no

Fenestra

Favorite made a few desktop models with "oldies".
Are they easily available/affordable?
...probably not.
But their Iguanodon is the shiznit.

CityRaptor

Oh no

terrorchicken

I like the Jarus..usually found at dollar stores. The worst thing about them are the fug colors.

https://www.amazon.com/Prextex-Plastic-Assorted-Dinosaur-Figures/dp/B011PLVBJG/ref=pd_bxgy_21_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YHAKVNGAFC369S1E1T19

well they say Pretex but I have some of the same ones & they have  Jaru tags.

the set that sells the china made placerias is kinda cool too.

Halichoeres

DeJankins sells a bunch of very affordable retro style figures from Marolin (http://www.dejankins.com/marolin/). Here's their Brontosaurus and Monoclonius:
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, that's what I mean for retro:

Those desktop models are very nice but quite pricey for me, I was hoping for some specific line in production that I wasn't aware of. Maybe in the future some company will have the idea to launch a similar sub-line, I'm sure there's a market for this.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: