News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lanthanotus' Collection of Prehistoric Life

Started by Lanthanotus, March 21, 2017, 05:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Quite a while since my last update... my whole workspace/desktop area has been "remodelled" in early summer because I had to get rid of one big husbandry tank and all of my Black Tree Monitors (unfortunately) to make room for the Borneon Earless Monitors (fortunately). So this left me with one big husbandry tank for the Roughneck, two smaller paludariums for the "water worms" with a lot of space above them and a much spacier and lighter workspace. Now also the cabinet for my collection recives more light and I took the chance to assort my figures anew. Still, most of my collection is in the attic, but now there's quite a different set on display....

From bottom to top there's first the marine life, from Cambrian to Cretaceous. The fossil bearing plates are Solnhofener Plattenkalk with some ammonites and shells we found this summer. The broken plate in the back may contain some bone from a medium sized land dweller. The Thallasomedon is a work in progress, the neck is far overbend since months to force the very flexible neck into a smoother pose than the default 100% straight one.

Pre- and dawn of the dinosaurs epoch.

Mesozoic era.

Cenozoic era on top.

My beloved sauropods, though I have more on display on my desk.

This year's diorama contest entry,.... I just love this Psittacosaurus sculpt. Emu egg in the back.

Shelf at the wall...

... and husbandry tank.

Jose S.M.

Everything_Dinosaur

Fenestra

BrontoScorpio

Like your "Pre- and dawn of the dinosaurs" set.
What is this Edaphosaurus infront of the Bullyland Edaphosaurus and what is this nice tree between them ?
In the next set - the "Mesozoic era" - I don't recognize this Sauropod - is it a repaint of a collectA ?

Lanthanotus

Thanks for all the kind words :)

That Edaphosaurus is a Shapeways by GN Models, the tree in between is a self made Cladoxylopsidae, the sauropod is CollectA's Daxiatitan, I just repainted it to have it as an Argentinosaurus surrogate (may make a better photo on the morrow).

BrontoScorpio

you're Talented.
I'll need your advice soon enough having accumulated too many kits or unpainted figures to color -
without having any experience or talent what so ever ...

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

laticauda

Love how you have it spread out.  Giving a chance for each animal model to shine. 

tanystropheus

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 07, 2017, 10:24:29 AM

This year's diorama contest entry,.... I just love this Psittacosaurus sculpt. Emu egg in the back.

How did you mod the Psittacosaurus?

ZoPteryx

Great setup, I like how each shelf is like a mini diorama.  Nice and uncluttered too!  ;)

Lanthanotus

Thanks, yes, I cannot stand a too cluttered space, so I rather change the display from time to time.

@ BlueKrono: CollectA Daxiatitan, great sculpt, aweful paint job as so many CollectAs, but nothing that can be helped :)

@ tanystropheus: Just cut and glued (well, and a bit of paint at the tail fan). When seen from close there's some small gaps, but I didn't use any Fixit or so to fill them in cause it was only really intended for the photo shooting for the contest and having different colored seams on the figure would have required painting.

BlueKrono

Ah, I didn't recognize it. I thought Daxiatitan was green? Did you repaint it?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Lanthanotus

Yes, I did....
...I began photographing my collection figure by figure today, so I might aswell start right now to show them....here we go (scale bar is divided by cm, it will show up in all photos for comparison):

Jose S.M.

That's an incredible improvement! It looks beautiful, I wish you could pass me some of that talent  :))

Neosodon

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

BlueKrono

That looks great! I much prefer models where each osteoderm is painted individually.

Lanthanotus

Thanks... well, seeing other works here on the forum I deem myself mediocore at best, in fact I guess I could make it better, but can't be bothered to have several layers of wash etc., so I most times limit my work on each figure with a pattern of non mixed colors and one layer of wash.

On this however I had another pattern before but wasn't happy with it and scrubbed it off again. I use acrylic paint from Games Workshop (Warhammer) because they offer a great variety of colors, especially as I do not like to mix colors on bigger figures - if you need to continue work to a later point it's hard to get the color right. In this model the only mixed color is where the tail tip changes from sand to white.

postsaurischian

:D Beautiful collection!

The repaint on the Daxiatitan is excellent. It looks like a Favorite model now :o.

Lanthanotus

Thanks ;)

so next comes....

Kaiyodo Dinotales Sauropelta and selfmade fern.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: