News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lanthanotus' Collection of Prehistoric Life

Started by Lanthanotus, March 21, 2017, 05:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 10, 2017, 04:18:52 PM
Thanks ;)

so next comes....

Kaiyodo Dinotales Sauropelta and selfmade fern.

Are those paper leaves? I love it! On the rare occasions we do get a plant from a toy company, it usually doesn't explore the weird stem morphologies that ancient plants sometimes had.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lanthanotus

The leaves are made from Tyvek "paper" which I just colored monochrome, but the structure of Tyvek makes the color being distributed differently on the surface, hence the "vein" like pattern.

ceratopsian

I really enjoyed looking through your new set up.  A beautifully displayed collection.

Lanthanotus

1:72 Deinonychus model by forum member MIXVS MINIMAX, assembled and painted by me.

Libraraptor

Lanthanotus

I recently tried to make a feathered dinosaur. Inspiration was this image of Serikornis. I wished some toy companies would dare a take on such a fluffy reptile instead of all the spread wings, wide gaping jaws and kicking feet (in fact, a figure as seen in thepicture I could image being well done by Schleich considering their goose, chicken or other birds). However, I tried myself, but I sure was lazy on the underlaying sculpt (especially on the claws as you can see - simple wire stickin' out). The "fluff" however turned out to be quite nice, even when lacking true feather details (it's just fur of a discarded plush toy).

Fenestra

That worked out quite well.
I don't even find the "wire" claws distracting to be honest.
You should totally try this again some day when you do have time to focus on the little details.

Lanthanotus

If I had to vote a single best figure of this year it would be CollectA's Dimorphodon... shown here with Rebor's Protolindenia (that I found not to be as fragile as some other members suggested).

Lanthanotus

Schleich's new and as of yet by far best attempt on the mighty tyrant. Despite some more or less obvious flaws, this thing is a very well sculpted toy.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 14, 2017, 10:09:42 PM
If I had to vote a single best figure of this year it would be CollectA's Dimorphodon... shown here with Rebor's Protolindenia (that I found not to be as fragile as some other members suggested).

My Protolindenia was fine until I knocked it from a shelf. I caught it as it fell and one wing snapped off in my hand. So if you ever knock it over, let it fall and it will probably be fine!  :))
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lanthanotus

aww, unlucky :/.... I'll take care of it... on the other hand, my 3 year old loves the Dimorphodon and so also handled that insect a few times though I would not trust the wings so far that I'd allow him to play with that figure.

Customized CollectA Quetzalcoatlus with prey. Great figure, but the default paint job and inset eyes are awkward and cried out for a change.

ZoPteryx

Lanthanotus

Together with its MIXUS MINIMAX 1:72 counterpart (as the deinonychus this figure comes with a base made of gypsum, the figure itself is made from some sort of blueish grey resin)

Lanthanotus

Lanthanotus

Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 2 Smilodon and skull. The opaque canines are a weird choice but overall it is one of the best Smilodon figures out there. Details and paint job are superb as one expects of Kaiyodo.

Reptilia

Great pair the Collecta Dimorphodon and the Rebor dragonfly.

PhilSauria

Great photos, I'd like to start showcasing my collection as well but attempts so far have yet to yield photo quality that I'd be satisfied in putting online. What light source are you using?, and any tips you could offer towards better close up images would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Lanthanotus

Thanks,...

... well, I have access to professional equipment here cause my wife is a professional photographer. We do not have any studio build up at home though, so I sometimes used a light box (just a big white textile cube) for shooting, but almost if not all the recent photos shown here (those of single figures with the scale bar and wooden background) are made under a window on an overcast day with a Nikon D750 and a 60 mm macro and no further equipment. I use Photoscape (free) for resizing and editing (bit of sharpening and color balancing if required).

There's a thread where forum member RobinGoodFellows gives away his knowledge, depending on which quality of photographing you seek ;) (click)

Lanthanotus

Safari Megatherium & Bullyland Megatherium, a true behemoth.

PhilSauria

Yes, the Bullyland Mega really is a GIANT Sloth, pleased to have that one in my collection at last (thanks mate).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: