News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lanthanotus' Collection of Prehistoric Life

Started by Lanthanotus, March 21, 2017, 05:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

I just recognized I haven't started a proper collection thread as of yet, but that can be helped....

... so I start with a recent acquisition that is a big step for my collection though it didn't create as much space as I had hoped for :D

I hate having most of my collection being stowed away in the attic for the lack of space available, but I also hate dusting, so having the dinos neatly packed in cardboard boxes saves a lot of time. However, I have some shelf space above my desk with some dinos on it and just bought a glass cabinet to show off some more. My original intention was to show all my Invictas, Kaiyodos and Carnegies there, but it would be way too crammed for my taste. So I have slected just a few figures and may swap them from time to time or even get rid of those, that are always stowed away without being missed. So this is what is right next to my desk since a week, also boast space for my small "prehistoric library":

Gwangi

Awesome! Nicely displayed, and excellent taste. I also hate dusting and overcrowding but alas, my shelf is dusty and crowded.

Jose S.M.

Halichoeres

That's a very nice display cabinet (and a great collection too!). I'd like to get some cabinets like that someday too--I don't like having to dust, but I also can't bear to hide my animals away in boxes...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lanthanotus

Thank you all..... yeah I intended to buy an all glass cabinet and decorate each level with a custom diorama base and backdrop image. But when I saw the several cabinet models in person I deceided different. The black color fits better with the surrounding terraria and my wife also likes it better. Since my work area is part of our floor, that's important aswell ;)

BlueKrono

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 21, 2017, 09:06:31 PM
Thank you all..... yeah I intended to buy anall glass cabinet and decorate each level with a custom diorama base and backdrop image. But when I saw the several cabinet models in person I deceided different. The black color fits better with the surrounding terraria and my wife also likes it better. Since my work area is part of our floor, that's important aswell ;)

You might be better off with silica glass... probably would have better visibility.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Lanthanotus

Silica glass? Sorry, am no native English speaker, but isn't silica glass just normal (window) glass? Or are you referring to that typo ("anall")? Was intended as "an all glass cabinet", not a typo for "acryl"...

Well, the cabinet's glass is indeed reflecting which impacts visibility, but it seems there are no non-reflective glass cabinets, at least not for a price range I considered.

Tylosaurus

Black cabinets, that's an interesting idea, surely is appealing if your room's is rather dark, it does go very well.
The glass seems fine though, since you view them from a top sided angle, I'd not worry about that.

Nice collection contents too btw 8)

BlueKrono

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 21, 2017, 10:01:28 PM
Silica glass? Sorry, am no native English speaker, but isn't silica glass just normal (window) glass? Or are you referring to that typo ("anall")? Was intended as "an all glass cabinet", not a typo for "acryl"...

Well, the cabinet's glass is indeed reflecting which impacts visibility, but it seems there are no non-reflective glass cabinets, at least not for a price range I considered.

Yes, I was just joking with you. We all make spelling errors, native English or not, but yours was just too good to pass up. ;) Feel free to rib me if I make one!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Megalosaurus

Nice collection & display.
Talk me about the Allosaurus & carcass please. It looks interesting.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Pachyrhinosaurus

Nice display cabinet! Dark wood almost always looks best. I was window shopping for something similar before I got my specimen cabinet, and I realized just how hard it is to find an ideal case like that.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Lanthanotus

The cabinet is from Ikea, but I am not sure if it's listed in their online catalogue, it wasn't shown there when I was looking up glass cabinet, so it was lucky coincidence I found it there.

@ BlueKrono: Nah, it's all fine, mate, I usually get jokes and irony even if written, but sometimes it's hard to deceide when you become aware you made a mistake and wonder what is referred to, the mistake or the intended content :D

@ Megalosaurus: Thanks, Megalosaurus, it's a self made sculpt, you find more about it here.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 22, 2017, 11:05:11 AM
[...]
@ Megalosaurus: Thanks, Megalosaurus, it's a self made sculpt, you find more about it here.

Pretty nice sculpture. Well painted and lovely details.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Libraraptor

Cool collection! Cool cabinets.  Cool books.

Lanthanotus

Update..... I follow user Kayakasaurus' thread for some time now and eventually purchased four of his models. Highly recommended. I think the models are all 1:40 in scale, rendering the Leptoceratops a delicate 4 cm along the body line. I got them unpainted and this is what I made of them, not sure if I'll keep the color schemes of the Irritator and Zuniceratops, but for a start it's fine I guess....

Hylaeosaurus

Irritator (this model will be this year's Diorama Contest prize, provided by Kayakasaurus)

Zuniceratops

Leptoceratops (yes, mine can stand on two legs, but it is also comfortable in tripod and quadruped stance)

Jose S.M.

ZoPteryx

Great new additions and I like the color schemes!  I'm definitely going to have to buy that Irritator, or win the contest.  ;)

Also, just noticed your awesome looking CollectA repaints!

Lanthanotus

I recently bought three figures from our forum member MIXVS MINIMAX who has his own line of 1:72 scale figures. I think I'm gonna review one or two o' them in the near future. All of these figures are cast with resin but luckily are not as brittle as some of the very tiny and narrow parts would suggest. The detailing on figures and bases is top notch, but as these are model kits, they need some assembly which can be a pain in the backdoor despite detailed instructions are given within the finely done boxes.

So.... here's what I done with them...

Quetzalcoatlus northropi, in comparison with its CollectA counterpart (customized, obviously). The base is part of the set and made from gypsum.

Deinonychus antirrophus, I have to admit I did not make use of all the claws provided and supposed to be at the tip of the fingers and toes. This base is also made from gypsum.

Coelophysis bauri, scavenging on the eyes of a dead Placerias. A bloody and gore laden mini diorama, I like it most of all three. Pencil for scale, the whole model is a mere 1.4 cm high, so even the tiny Tamiya Archaeopteryx is big in comparison.

MIXVS MINIMAX

Ah, thats cool! :-) I like Your Deinonychus-dio. It's better to place it not in line of the trunk and I think I put to much plants on my dio. And I like coral-snake-pattern - I did it the same. :-)

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: