News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mesozoic Masterpiece

Started by Cloud the Dinosaur King, March 27, 2017, 12:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: ZoPteryx on April 26, 2017, 04:30:40 AM
Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on April 24, 2017, 02:00:50 PM
I am actually going to make them all in 1:15 scale, because I will be making some small dinosaurs. I may also do 1:1 scale dinosaur heads for your wall. Let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

If you're willing to take on wacky pterosaurs, I'd recommrend Nyctosaurus, Boreopterus, Huaxiapterus, and Pterodaustro.  You could make them as half-head mounts that attach parallel to the wall, like a mounted fish.  Speaking of which, taxidermy prehistoric fish would be cool too!  ;D
Hm, I've not thought of this yet. Sounds like a pretty cool idea though. I should be able to do it.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

I need you guy's opinion on something. I am going to make a 1:40 scale Chamops(a lizard from the Hell Creek Formation) for my series, "Planet Prehistoric". It will only be about 3 inches long, and I was wondering if you guys wanted me to cast it. It should only take me at the most 10 minutes to make. Also, what lizard should I base its color off of? I'm thinking of a Green Iguana or a Red Tegu. Let me know what you guys think.

Ravonium

Out of the two you've given I'd probably do the Red Tegu as the color scheme.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Ravonium on April 26, 2017, 07:19:45 PM
Out of the two you've given I'd probably do the Red Tegu as the color scheme.
Okay. Thanks.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on April 26, 2017, 07:11:37 PM
I need you guy's opinion on something. I am going to make a 1:40 scale Chamops(a lizard from the Hell Creek Formation) for my series, "Planet Prehistoric". It will only be about 3 inches long, and I was wondering if you guys wanted me to cast it. It should only take me at the most 10 minutes to make. Also, what lizard should I base its color off of? I'm thinking of a Green Iguana or a Red Tegu. Let me know what you guys think.

Was Chamops 3 meters long?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 27, 2017, 05:16:23 PM
Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on April 26, 2017, 07:11:37 PM

Was Chamops 3 meters long?
I wish I knew. If anyone knows the size of Chamops, please let me know.

spinosaurus1

chamops was pretty small. it's somewhere under 2' i beleive

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on April 27, 2017, 06:17:14 PM
chamops was pretty small. it's somewhere under 2' i beleive
Thanks. Does anyone know of any larger lizards or snakes from the Hell Creek Formation?

Halichoeres

I can only find references to maxilla and dentary fragments from Chamops, no more than 21 millimeters long. They're all broken, so the heads could have been more like 50 mm. Palaeosaniwa was pretty large, but I don't think it's specifically known from the Hell Creek. Its presence in the Oldman formation, combined with the presence of the smaller Saniwa in the Green River formation, suggests there ought to have been varanoids in the Maastrichtian of Montana.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

spinosaurus1

apparently it was around the 20 cm mark in terms of length. if you want a large lizard, then Palaeosaniwa is your best bet. if you want a lepidosauromorph however ( aka a notalizardbutlooklikeone), then Champsosaur is a good creature to use and the largest species was around the 3 meter size range.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on April 27, 2017, 06:55:17 PM
apparently it was around the 20 cm mark in terms of length. if you want a large lizard, then Palaeosaniwa is your best bet. if you want a lepidosauromorph however ( aka a notalizardbutlooklikeone), then Champsosaur is a good creature to use and the largest species was around the 3 meter size range.
Thanks. I'm going to use Palaeosaniwa.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 27, 2017, 06:45:23 PM
I can only find references to maxilla and dentary fragments from Chamops, no more than 21 millimeters long. They're all broken, so the heads could have been more like 50 mm. Palaeosaniwa was pretty large, but I don't think it's specifically known from the Hell Creek. Its presence in the Oldman formation, combined with the presence of the smaller Saniwa in the Green River formation, suggests there ought to have been varanoids in the Maastrichtian of Montana.
There is a Palaeosaniwa in Saurian, and everything from Saurian is from the Hell Creek Formation. I am going to use Palaeosaniwa.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

I am going to make a Saltasaurus for my Planet Prehistoric series later this summer. It's going to be a female named Sydney. I am also going to make an Aucasaurus. His name is going to be Alex. Also, since some of my models will be in my series like the Palaosaniwa, one of the two Ornitholestes, the Saltasaurus, and the Aucasaurus. I will make 3 lines. One in 1:1 scale, one in 1:15 scale, an one in 1:40 scale. The only ones in 1:40 scale will be the ones for my series, unless you guys like 1:40 better. Personally, I like bigger models and that is why most of them will be in 1:15 scale. The only ones in 1:1 scale will be any really small dinosaurs(if you guys like the idea of a 7 foot long Ornitholestes, let me know), like a Yi  or Microraptor. Also, a future line of dinosaur heads.  ;) If you guys have any ideas on what I should call these lines, please let me know. Just make sure that they aren't already being used first. I hope you guys like my new plans! :))

Cloud the Dinosaur King

A quick update, all models will be in 1:40 scale, unless I make dinosaur heads.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

I'm starting work on the armature for my walking Spinosaurus. I will upload pictures tomorrow.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Here is the armature for the walking Spinosaurus. If anyone has any suggestions for it, I'm open.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc0kKVAf98A

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Almost done with the Palaeosaniwa. It is in a defense posture with one arm raised up. I will make a video tonight. Do you guys want me to cast it?

ZoPteryx

Your Spino armature looks pretty good, though I'm a bit concerned with the wire legs.  Do think they'll be able to bear the weight of the clay without distorting?

Can't wait to see the Palaeosaniwa!

Cloud the Dinosaur King

I've finished the armatures for two models, the 2 foot long Dinheirosaurus, and the 7 1/2 inch long Allosaurus, which will be in a diorama together. The Allosaurus is Broken-jaw, and the Dinheirosaurus is Woodstock.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Here are all of my current projects, all in 1:40 scale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbZL9D9Tjkk

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: