News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo Dinotales figures, collecting and reference

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, June 28, 2012, 06:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Hi Kenywr22, the Dinotales were made by Kaiyodo and indeed there is a huge variety. If I haven't miscounted there should be 123 different figures, not counting colour variants (taking these into account you'd end up with more than 200). I have most of them (I believe 197 variants). I've made a site on facebook that's also accessible for non members with a few categorized albums and a few photos. :)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kaiyodo-Dinotales-Reference-Galleries/149100965149683?sk=photos_albums

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Gwangi

I highly recommend the Kaiyodo Dinotales. I was very hesitant at first to get them because they're small and require some assembly but once I got my first one (the Camarasaurus) I was hooked. They are among some of my favorite dinosaur figures, are very accurate and highly detailed. There are reviews for some of them on the Dinosaur Toy Blog (link up top) that can give you information on some of the specific figures. As for where to buy, being from Japan the best route I'm aware of is eBay and you can find most of them for very cheap, under $10 or even under $5. Some are listed at expensive prices but be cautious as some vendors overprice them, comparison shopping would be in order.

Gryphoceratops

Dinotales are amongst the most accurate dinosaur models you can get pretty much.  They are also very detailed especially for their size and the colors are really nice too.  I highly recommend them. 

Kennywr22

Thanks for the great info. So these aren't made anymore then right? Does any Japanese company make anything similar now?  By the way, I just bought my first 4 off eBay about 20 minutes ago. Haha.. I'm in now.

amargasaurus cazaui

Not to offer anything earth shaking or new here, But I also like the Dinotales figures. You can make a really nice diorama using them , without taking up much space. Also they offfer magnificent variety for the collection. Finally, they are fun to collect . I do agree with Gwangi...(yikes did I really type that?)  the ones you see on ebay can be quite overpriced from some sellers, take your time, shop, and also watch what they ask for shipping prices.  I have found I am very fond of the Anklyosaurus figure, the retro green t rex standing, the brachiosaurus, and the Apatosaurus myself. All are lovely sculpts. I am also chasing the Protoceratops but dont wish to pay the hefty prices they seem to demand ...........EEEP
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

postsaurischian

What made me start collecting Dinotales at first was the fact that you finally had some of the smaller species (such as Protoceratops, Coelophysis, Eryops ......) that went well with a majority of figures in the 1:30 - 1:40 scale.

sauroid

Kaiyodo Dinotales figures (and other japanese brands/series) are quite addictive so watch out...  ^-^
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

postsaurischian

DinoToyForum

docronnie

I just bought my first Dinotales yesterday and today.  Not all of them are dinosaurs though.

Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 2 Iguanodon No. 031. Length 100.5 mm (along vertebral column) - 2001

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 3  Styracosaurus No. 055. Length 86 mm, height 37 mm – 2002

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 3 Apatosaurus No. 071. Length 153 mm, height 34 mm – 2002

Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 4 Ceratosaurus No. 083. Length 95 mm, height 38 mm - 2003

Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 5 Triceratops No. 088b. Length 83 mm, height 39 mm - 2004

Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 5  Protoceratops No. 96b. Length 83 mm, height 36 mm - 2004

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 7 Tyrannosaurus No. 109a. Length 98 mm, height 45 mm – 2006

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 7 Tyrannosaurus No. 109b. Length 98 mm, height 45 mm – 2006

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 7 Camarasaurus No. 110b. Length 127 mm, height 43 mm – 2006

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 7 Anchiceratops No. 112b. Length 80 mm, height 33 mm – 2006

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 7 Huayangosaurus No. 114a. Length 97 mm, height 32 mm – 2006

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 7 Elasmosaurus No. 115a. Length 109 mm – 2006

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 7 Arsinoitherium No. 116a. Length 70 mm, height 44 mm – 2006

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 7 Anchiceratops skull No. 113b. Length 58 mm – 2006

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 7 Camarasaurus skeleton No. 111b. Length 127 mm, height 36 mm - 2006

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 7 Pterygotus  No. 117b. Length 64 mm – 2006

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 7 Dunkleosteus skull No. 118b. Length 47.5 mm - 2006

Thanks to brontodocus and another site for the awesome reference!  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

brontodocus

You're welcome, docronnie! :) Ehm, but why did you copy & paste all my figure captions? ??? There are even human figures mentioned which have nothing to do with the Dinotales themselves but were just included as a scale reference in many of my photos.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

docronnie

Quote from: brontodocus on November 24, 2012, 12:02:51 PM
You're welcome, docronnie! :) Ehm, but why did you copy & paste all my figure captions? ??? There are even human figures mentioned which have nothing to do with the Dinotales themselves but were just included as a scale reference in many of my photos.

Oh sorry! I did not notice that.  I was in a hurry to post what I have.  I usually label my photos of my toys (Marvel Legends, Thor toys and others) almost similar as to how you label yours, except I start with the name of the manufacturer or producer and end with the year it was made.  I copied and pasted your labels of the ones I have, with intentions of further studying them later.

I'm not yet finished taking photos, still charging my batteries.

My apologies for any ill effects I've caused.

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

tyrantqueen

I need some advice. I have in my possession some Kaiyodo gashapon. They include the original packaging, the instructions and the chocolates. Would this increase their value at all?

Roselaar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 25, 2014, 06:50:27 PM
I need some advice. I have in my possession some Kaiyodo gashapon. They include the original packaging, the instructions and the chocolates. Would this increase their value at all?

Maybe for die-hard collectors, but most dinosaur aficionados are only interested in the figures themselves and tend to display them. With such awesome little figs, wouldn't you?

postsaurischian

The chocolate is useless, but I'm sure some collectors insist on getting the pamphlets with the figures. Better keep them!

SBell

Nobody wants that chocolate--it's terrible.  The info card/stickers are usually good with the figures, but the series info (where separate) are rarely necessary for all but the most obsessive collectors.

deanm

Are you kidding - it is the best chocolate I have ever had...    ;D

Or as one of my friends used to say about a famous fast-food restaurant "it's amazing what they can do with making plastic so tasty..."

My personal preference is to hang onto the info card and sticker separately (not displayed) but I send them along if I trade/sell a figure.

Roselaar

Incidentally, is there an official colour variation for the Series 2 Rayonnoceras? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, but I have two of these that feature rather dissimilar paint jobs and they're not custom figures.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Roselaar on February 26, 2014, 02:23:52 PM
....... is there an official colour variation for the Series 2 Rayonnoceras? .......

There are no official colour variants for the series 2 figures, except for the ones that appeared later in different museum sets. Rayonnoceras was not among them.

Roselaar

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 26, 2014, 04:40:45 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on February 26, 2014, 02:23:52 PM
....... is there an official colour variation for the Series 2 Rayonnoceras? .......

There are no official colour variants for the series 2 figures, except for the ones that appeared later in different museum sets. Rayonnoceras was not among them.

So what do I have? A mutation? It certainly isn't discoloration, considering it's paint scheme isn't wholly identical either. The regular version is beige, but I also have a gold one, its dark swirling lines are not in the same places, the shell is much more translucent, and the size of the text under its base is larger.

Which Series 2 figures got museum line variations? I reckon the white Allosaurus is among them?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: