News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

large sauropod models

Started by brettnj, May 08, 2017, 05:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettnj

Hey.

If I was better at research I imagine I could find this information on my own but, especially since I'd want the opinions of the experts anyway...

I'm toying with the idea of buying a large sauropod model and having someone assemble and paint it for me.  It might be cost prohibitive but that's yet to be seen.

I have no background in this area other than knowing what I like when I see it. I am still very enamored with Kazunari Araki's large models (I have to go see if his site is still running...) and years ago spoke with Jerry Finney about assembling and painting one was I able to find it.  At the time I didn't know they were unobtainable.

I'm more concerned about how one strikes aesthetically me than maker or species or even (Gasp, I know...) anatomical authenticity, and want it to be big--like upwards of three feet--the type of thing that would be the centerpiece of a room.

Though I'm not expecting any one person to school me in the entire arena of such a project, I'd appreciate any thoughts, links, etc., regarding models, makers, assemblers, painters, availability, costs, concerns, etc.

Thanks.
Brett

BlueKrono

The only sauropod I have in that size range is the woefully anatomied Saltasaurus from Disney's Animal Kingdom, with PNSO's Huanghetitan coming in at a respectable second place. There was a thread on here about the largest dinosaur toy we had a few months ago that might be worth checking out.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Given your criteria the best match that I know of would be the Sideshow Collectables Apatosaurus, and while it is discontinued it is still available from some retailers.
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Jetoar

Quote from: brettnj on May 08, 2017, 05:07:27 PM
Hey.

If I was better at research I imagine I could find this information on my own but, especially since I'd want the opinions of the experts anyway...

I'm toying with the idea of buying a large sauropod model and having someone assemble and paint it for me.  It might be cost prohibitive but that's yet to be seen.

I have no background in this area other than knowing what I like when I see it. I am still very enamored with Kazunari Araki's large models (I have to go see if his site is still running...) and years ago spoke with Jerry Finney about assembling and painting one was I able to find it.  At the time I didn't know they were unobtainable.

I'm more concerned about how one strikes aesthetically me than maker or species or even (Gasp, I know...) anatomical authenticity, and want it to be big--like upwards of three feet--the type of thing that would be the centerpiece of a room.

Though I'm not expecting any one person to school me in the entire arena of such a project, I'd appreciate any thoughts, links, etc., regarding models, makers, assemblers, painters, availability, costs, concerns, etc.

Thanks.
Brett

I made a Lohuecotitan. It is 40 cm of long. It is a have divided in three pieces. If you are interested in send me a PM.

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

amargasaurus cazaui

Bob Morales was selling a large Brachiosaurus a few years back, although not sure its offered anymore. He is an active ebay seller, and might be able to help you. Only thing is his brachiosaur was not quite three feet, although rather big regardless.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Pachyrhinosaurus

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Simon

Hi Brett - the hands-down largest Garage Kit dinosaur model that was mass-produced was the Kaiyodo 1/20 Brachiosaurus, which still comes up on yahoo.japan (you should remember because you helped me score one of them last Fall).  Its gigantic (if you straightened out the neck and tail it would measure well over 50" in length).  No, I'm not parting with the one I have because some day when I retire a little bit I plan on customizing it and building it up. 

But you can probably keep an eye for it on yahoo.japan....

BlueKrono

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 09, 2017, 01:13:00 AM
Shane Foulkes' apatosaurus might be of interest to you:
http://www.cretaceouscreationsofamerica.com/apatosaurus.html

Geeze, that thing's almost six feet long! And with a price tag to match.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

brettnj

Hey.

Was hoping for better news but I appreciate the information.

Most of the model photos have been removed from Araki's site.

Does anyone know what they are?  As in, were they ever available for regular sale or were they commissions or built for museums, etc.?

Thanks.
Brett

acro-man

喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

brettnj

I missed some replies here somehow.

None of the figures noted are exactly what I want for various reasons.

The Foulkes's apato's head is lowered, for instance.  The last one is too raw a scene for my constitution.  Etc.

I'm really stuck on those Araki models and have been for many years.  Wish I understood what they are, if they were or are ever obtainable.

I appreciate the offerings though.
Brett

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.