News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Looking for scientifically accurate models.

Started by OpalornisHuali, June 30, 2017, 07:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Thanks for clarifying on that Sim. Personally I'd be the most happy with something similar to the Saurian T. rex (but with the published patches placement taken into account be they scales or skin), which is kind of like what OpalornisHauli suggested, but the Safari one is probably the best one for me now, even if it is already kind of outdated (science marches on). I mean, ultimately I'm waiting to see what David Silva will do for his tyrannosaur line, and I'll take what's available to hold the wait over (although I do have the Terra Battat T. rex, I'd like to have the Safari, mostly for being right in other areas, feather placement aside, and I like the choice of colors).

I'm assuming the Safari Diplodocus tail is in that pose because they used them like bullwhips (assuming that is even correct). On the topic of sauropods, I'd like to bring up the Safari Apatosaurus again. Aside from the placement of the nostrils, is it pretty accurate (like the neck posture)? Or are there any other figures of that genus that are up to date? I know the feet are right though. I'm not the most informed on sauropods right now. Still learning about them.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

amargasaurus cazaui

Just going to again point out, if you are wanting accurate or scientifically well supported toys you might be sure to consider the new psittacosaurus from Safari. Given it is based on a unique dinosaur fossil, that is the only known non theropod dinosaur to have color indicators, and actual scale preservation. Aside from this we have scale patterning, shape, colors, integument for the tail, etc. As the sculpter based this model off the specimen as it was described in the papers, and given the rich amount of data that fossil has given us, this toy rates rather highly in the probably scientifically close to the real deal type thing.........of course it is not as exciting as a Tyrannosaurus, or as massive as a sauropod, but you asked for accurate dinosaurs.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Neosodon

Speaking of the new safari diplodacus, it has the spines which are based off of fossil material. It's a big improvement over the old one in terms of scientific accuracy.

The bullwip tail is based off research too. I never thought of them being used for noise makers before. Sauropods just keep getting cooler. 8)
https://www.livescience.com/52538-supersonic-sauropods.html

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

OpalornisHuali

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 03, 2017, 06:24:16 PM
Just going to again point out, if you are wanting accurate or scientifically well supported toys you might be sure to consider the new psittacosaurus from Safari. Given it is based on a unique dinosaur fossil, that is the only known non theropod dinosaur to have color indicators, and actual scale preservation. Aside from this we have scale patterning, shape, colors, integument for the tail, etc. As the sculpter based this model off the specimen as it was described in the papers, and given the rich amount of data that fossil has given us, this toy rates rather highly in the probably scientifically close to the real deal type thing.........of course it is not as exciting as a Tyrannosaurus, or as massive as a sauropod, but you asked for accurate dinosaurs.
Actually I saw this figure reviewed on YouTube, I fell in love, it was definitely amazing. Definitely on my want list.

Halichoeres

You asked about plesiousaurs and Dimetrodon; in both instances I'd recommend the "Soft Model" versions by Favorite Co. If you're in the States you can get them from DeJankins.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ZoPteryx

First off, welcome to the forum OpalornisHuali!  :)  You'll find many collectors here prefer scientifically accurate figures, myself included.

I'll cover a few of the more common taxa:

The ever contentious Tyrannosaurus:  In terms of overall form, the 2017 feathered Safari T. rex is the most accurate, imho, in overall proportions, skull shape, girth, etc, especially for a large specimen like "Sue".  But if you abide by the revitalized theory of T. rex being all scaly (teeny tiny 1-2 mm long scales), then the Battat T. rex is probably the most accurate and nicely proportioned as well, though the tripod pose can be a little off putting.

Triceratops:  I don't own it, but PNSO's "Doyle" looks quite good overall, albeit large and a bit pricey.

Velociraptor:  The 2017 Safari version, by far!

Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus:  Probably the Papo version, though it's a little small for an adult and I always feel like the limb proportions are off.

Stegosaurus:  Tough call, the most recent versions by Safari or Bullyland are probably the best, but both could be better.

Pteranodon:  Safari, Bullyland, Favorite, and (shock horror!) Schleich make/made equally good versions of "Geosternbergia".  None are perfect.

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 04, 2017, 06:08:31 AM
You asked about plesiousaurs and Dimetrodon; in both instances I'd recommend the "Soft Model" versions by Favorite Co. If you're in the States you can get them from DeJankins.

Agreed, the Favorite versions of these taxa are by far the best currently available.

Generally speaking, Safari, CollectA, and PNSO are the "go-to's" in the dino toy market for accuracy.  If you have any more specific species in mind, I'd be happy to give what advice I can.  ;)

Sim

Quote from: ZoPteryx on July 04, 2017, 09:24:12 AM
Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus:  Probably the Papo version, though it's a little small for an adult and I always feel like the limb proportions are off.

I've always wondered if the neck of the Papo Apatosaurus is extremely shrink-wrapped?  I don't remember anyone ever saying anything regarding this, and I don't know enough about sauropods to be sure about it.  To me its neck looks terribly shrink-wrapped though.  The way its neck looks segmented and has all those prominences makes the Papo Apatosaurus's head and neck remind me of a rearing invertebrate, in particular the Walking with Monsters Arthropleura.

I think the Papo Apatosaurus was based on Apatosaurus louisae due to the figure's proportions, and that the figure is in almost the exact same pose as this skeleton of the A. louisae specimen CM 3018: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Louisae.jpg

Looking at Scott Hartman's A. louisae skeletal, and what he says in the description, it looks like the Papo Apatosaurus does indeed have some extreme shrink-wrapping: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/Morrison-Muscle-Head-145604688

OpalornisHuali

I've found that I am not much of a fan of Papo, from what I have seen.. Their fantasy and modern animal figures are beautiful, but the dinosaur  figures are rarely accurate enough for me to be impressed, but not bad enough for me to think "so-bad-it's-good" either. Shrink wrapping is common. Sometimes they look a little too stereotypical and "Jurassic Park"-like. So not usually that appealing compared to what I have seen from Safari LTD or CollectA.

The Apatosaurus actually might be one of my favourite Papo figures I have seen so far, although it does appear shrink wrapped, but I have seen CollectA do worse with some theropods. Particularly in the head. That seems to be a problem with some of their figures despite otherwise very good accuracy.

I do think the Papo Apatosaurus does have very un-creative colouring, but the creature could have looked like that in real life, so perhaps that is more accurate than the Safari Diplodocus for instance in that case.

I wish there was something a little less shrink wrapped for sure. Papo Apatosaurus doesn't look dead like some figures do, but looks like she has been starving..
At first I want to base my collection on the figures that look more real, in the sense of not only scientific accuracy but having enough flesh to look like a living animal, not a dying one. Once I have a base collection I will be less picky however, although extreme shrink wrapping really does annoy me either way.

As for Batatt T-rex, I see one that is tripodal and one that isn't when I do image search.. The non-tripodal one, I think looks very pretty and is one of my favourite scaly T-rex I've seen, it looks more like a real animal and still bird-like while not having feathers. The tail is still curved strangely though...
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm3.static.flickr.com%2F2055%2F1875717855_ca120fc457_o.jpg&f=1
Maybe I will get one feathered T-rex and one non-feathered..

For Dimetrodon, I agree the Favourite one looks great! It reminds me of an otter for some reason... And the skin is smoother than the Recur one. It looks almost elephant like, which I like.
That is, if it's this one:
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.pSC_oQPVv31wqllnxVWqCgEsDh%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

The Plesiosaur however, it appears has two versions.. The second one has more flesh and a straight neck, which is accurate, but the first one has so much of a better face! The eyes are done much better, the second one has strange human-like eyes...
Also both are shrink-wrapped badly on the head.. However are probably the most accurate plesiosaurus I have seen.

As for the Invicta one, it has a curved swan neck which is rather outdated and expected for the time. The eyes are also in the wrong place. However I have developed a soft spot for vintage retro-saurs, and it is beautiful and elegant. Despite how it first appears from this thread, I have been rapidly warming up to the very old, stylised dinosaurs/prehistoric creatures, I like to think of them as more surreal art pieces or fantasy creatures than real ones.
I guess I'm a bit of an extremist for these toys, I like really good and also really "bad", but not so much "in the middle".
However as I stated above, I want to focus on only the accurate models for now.

Safari Liopleurodon looks really good!

BlueKrono

Why has no one mentioned the Safari Apatosaurus yet? No shrink wrapping on that one! Hanging flesh and wrinkles galore.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Faelrin

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 05, 2017, 04:08:02 PM
Why has no one mentioned the Safari Apatosaurus yet? No shrink wrapping on that one! Hanging flesh and wrinkles galore.
That's the one I kept asking about too. Aside from the placement of the nostrils, everything else on it is pretty accurate?

Edit: OpalornisHuali, I recently bought the Terra Battat T. rex (and Parasaurolophus), and it is in a mostly horizontal pose. Only the tip of the tail curves towards the bottom. The tail is not touching the ground either, at least on my model. Mine has no trouble standing either. It's a good scaly T. rex, though I think it could use some more meat on the belly and tail, maybe. You might still be able to find this at Target's (assuming you have any in your area). This is the review of it: http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/09/29/tyrannosaurus-terra-series-by-battat/

QuetzalcoatlusKing

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on June 30, 2017, 08:06:23 AM
Every single DTF Member here has his/her personal idea about what "accurate" means. ;)
We're talking about long gone creatures.
So it's a complex, hard discussion....
Probably the most scientifically accurate models aren't in the toy range (PVC) but in the kit and resin range.
That's my personal idea.
:)

my thoughts exactly. they will never be accurate 100%

OpalornisHuali

Quote from: Faelrin on July 05, 2017, 05:01:49 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on July 05, 2017, 04:08:02 PM
That's the one I kept asking about too. Aside from the placement of the nostrils, everything else on it is pretty accurate?

Edit: OpalornisHuali, I recently bought the Terra Battat T. rex (and Parasaurolophus), and it is in a mostly horizontal pose. Only the tip of the tail curves towards the bottom. The tail is not touching the ground either, at least on my model. Mine has no trouble standing either. It's a good scaly T. rex, though I think it could use some more meat on the belly and tail, maybe. You might still be able to find this at Target's (assuming you have any in your area). This is the review of it: http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/09/29/tyrannosaurus-terra-series-by-battat/

About the Apatosaurus, it looks really good! The nostrils are annoying though, as it reminds me of old aquatic reconstructions of sauropods... A figure from 1995 I can understand, but why in the world does a figure from 2010 have such nostrils?
Either way, the lack of shrink wrapping makes up for that.

As for the T-Rex, that version looks very tripodal, it is jarring... I wonder why they made it that way..
I like the Boston Museum of Science one better, it still has a bent tail but not that much!

I heard one can preform a procedure involving hot water to bend the tail into a more accurate position... But I would be afraid to attempt that and end up with a melted figure...

I don't have Target locally, actually I'm not in the US so most of these figures will come from online.

stargatedalek

It's difficult to damage figures with boiling water, they'll only melt if they touch the sides of the pot.

OpalornisHuali

Hello again, I was wondering,

Can anyone recommend some good invertebrate figures? Like Trilobites, Anomalocaridids etc?

Kaprosaurus

Quote from: OpalornisHuali on July 10, 2017, 09:53:42 AM

Can anyone recommend some good invertebrate figures? Like Trilobites, Anomalocaridids etc?

Favorite's Anomalocaris is pretty good,there is also the Burgess Shale set which contains the Anomalocaris,but it's not cheap! (Well at least for me anyway)

RobinGoodfellow

Paleozoo:

http://paleozoo.com.au/shop.php

BlueKrono

Quote from: Kaprosaurus on July 10, 2017, 10:34:35 AM

Favorite's Anomalocaris is pretty good,there is also the Burgess Shale set which contains the Anomalocaris,but it's not cheap! (Well at least for me anyway)

They're really nice though, and a lot cheaper than Paleozoo. PZ is a lot larger scale of course. The Safari toob isn't as impressive, but a good choice for someone looking for prehistoric inverts on a budget.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 10, 2017, 11:37:32 AM
Quote from: Kaprosaurus on July 10, 2017, 10:34:35 AM

They're really nice though, and a lot cheaper than Paleozoo. PZ is a lot larger scale of course. The Safari toob isn't as impressive, but a good choice for someone looking for prehistoric inverts on a budget.

...well, if you're searching for toys on a budget, then Favorite or Safari are ok. But if you're searching for accuracy, it's almost impossible to find into a cheap toy..
It depends on what you mean by "accurate" (as I said before).
To me "accurate" also means lifelike.
I have Favorite, Safari, ROM and Paleozoo figures in my collection: big differences between them.
:)

Patrx

Kaiyodo did a really nice five-piece "Paleozoic" set for their Capsule Q line; three of those are invertebrates. The set's not super-affordable just now, but you might be able to get a better deal from brettnj.

Faelrin

CollectA just released a prehistoric marine tube, which includes ammonites, prehistoric fish, and marine reptiles (all not to scale of course). They tend to be one of the companies that get things right (or at least for the most part), so I trust they've done their research for the critters included. Favorite also released 8 (or 9 I think?) Cambrian mini figures last year including Anomalocaris (in blue and yellow colors), Opabinia, Hallucigenia, Olenoides, Wiwaxia, Marella, and some others, but those might be pricey and hard to come by.

Edit: Forgot to mention the CollectA prehistoric marine tube contains a Trilobite as well. I think it is meant to be Olenoides. Safari also has an ammonite figure, though I'm not quite sure which genus it is supposed to be, if any.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: