News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Somehow it doesn't grab me - partly its the green color (unrealistic in my view).  The sculpt also seems, well, a little cartoonish ... I'll keep my fingers crossed that PNSO releases its Amargasaurus ... after seeing pictures of that sculpt its kind of hard to get excited about the more toyish PVC versions ...

Shonisaurus

The amargasaurus is super nice. It is the best amargasaurus far exceeds that of Collecta and is huge by what I have seen 41 centimeters long.  8)

As far as anzu for me is always welcome the realization of a new species of dinosaur. hyperrealistic and colorful not to be able to, is a total and absolute improvement with respect to his Carnegie figures of feathered dinosaurs.  8)

Halichoeres

Ah, here's the good stuff. The Anzu looks great, definite buy. Conflicted on whether to snap up this Amargasaurus or hold out for the PNSO, though like others have said I would have preferred that this one be closer to the Carnegie in size. Absolutely a great sculpt and an improvement in accuracy, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 20, 2017, 04:46:20 PM
Ah, here's the good stuff. The Anzu looks great, definite buy. Conflicted on whether to snap up this Amargasaurus or hold out for the PNSO, though like others have said I would have preferred that this one be closer to the Carnegie in size. Absolutely a great sculpt and an improvement in accuracy, though.

They are brilliant and hyperrealistic figures. The Safari company is making much better figures than those of previous years and not overdoing it. As I said yesterday the good thing is to come both from Safari and the rest of the toy dinosaur companies and I was not mistaken. Sum and continue this year will be spectacular on the part of Safari both in their figures from the artistic point of view and from the point of view of detail.  :D

PumperKrickel

deleted

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Amarga looks super cool!  I love the walking pose and 16" ? not bad at all Safari!   It also helps I plan to build a 16' Amarga next year and this will scale so easily! :D

Anzu is nice, the bold white on the neck is a bit of putting but easily remedied.  Very good detail overall, reminds me of  Nick Fonseca's a bit. 

Faelrin

I was hoping the feathered one would actually be an Anzu. It does seem strange though that it has two types of feathers sculpted on it. The head and neck seem to lack detail too. It's a bit strange to me, though I like the colors chosen for an oviraptorid.

The sculpting on most of the Amargasaurus looks good, but the head looks shrink-wrapped. I think I liked the color scheme on the Battat Terra one more. Not bad though, but I probably won't pick it up. Not going to have space for it either once I knock off most of the figures on my wishlist.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Looks pretty good! I especially like the colours!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Neosodon

Amargosaurus! Called it. ;D

I have no real issues with the sculpt or coloration. But what's with the size! 16 inches, with the heavier set body this thing is probably bigger than last years diplodacus.  Amargosaurus's max size was only 33 feet making this figure a 1:24. So now the largest saurapod in the Wild Safari colletion is an amargosaurus. ::) Really safari, if you want to make a giant saurapod figure why not use a species that is actually supposed to be big?

The Anzu is not ridiculously over sized but looking at the size and position of the feet I highly doubt it will be able to stand on its own. The wing looks like it could be used as a balance prop but I'll have to wait and see before I consider buying it. :-\

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Flaffy

Welp, that took long enough.
The amargasaurus reminds me of the CollectA one.
Not a huge fan of Safari's amargasaurus, especially the size. Kinda wished it was some other sauropod, but it does indicate that they're trying to remake the Carnegie line.
Definitely picking up the Anzu, shame that the facial details as far as I can tell are heavily obscured or absent.

Daspletotyrannus

The Amargasaurus is a little too big for my taste.  would have liked it to be around the Carnegie and Battat size.  I'm definitely getting the Anzu. You know Safari pricing been a little off lately. The Amargasaurus cost more money then the Diplodocus from last year and it smaller than it too.

Jose S.M.

I don't think the Amarga is too shrink wrapped, it's the lighter green paint that makes it looks that way, and the dark ring around the eyes. Also I don't see it as cartoony either, most sauropod figures have that look on their faces, the teeth and shape makes them look goofy but if you look at their skulls you can see that look too. Most Diplodocus and Amargasaurus look like that, also CollectA Ampelosaurus it's even more "derpy".

Halichoeres

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on October 20, 2017, 06:35:11 PM
I don't think the Amarga is too shrink wrapped, it's the lighter green paint that makes it looks that way, and the dark ring around the eyes. Also I don't see it as cartoony either, most sauropod figures have that look on their faces, the teeth and shape makes them look goofy but if you look at their skulls you can see that look too. Most Diplodocus and Amargasaurus look like that, also CollectA Ampelosaurus it's even more "derpy".

Yeah, to my eye the sculpt doesn't look shrink wrapped at all, but the paint job seems to make all the fenestrae look hollowed-out.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Archosauria

Incredible. So worth the wait!

I never would have guessed it was an amargasaurus, which is great because that's my favorite sauropod. I also love the sculpt and the coloration. It's really unique.

As for the Anzu, holy gosh darned wow that looks hecking good.

The Anzu is hands down my favorite 2018 model. I love it. The sculpt and colors are absolutely stunning.

The Anzu, combined with schleichs awesome Oviraptor, show 2018 is a good year for Oviraptorids.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Simon

The close up on this sculpt points up an obvious deficiency to these types of sauropod head reconstructions in general:

The teeth are BARE.  This is, of course, anatomically ridiculous.  The teeth have to be protected from the elements so they do not dry out and crack, and there is no example of any living animal that doesn't have a teeth cover of some sort (lips in mammals, skin in reptiles).

Faelrin

Ah maybe that's the case then, although I think it's a misleading design choice, if it is in fact just painted that way. It does seem to lack lips however.

Anyways, I suppose this just leaves the titanosaur, the ceratopsian, and the leaked Anykylosaurus left, unless there's anything else they have yet to reveal for their prehistoric line (hopefully another theropod). So far from the 2018 releases that have been revealed, I only really want the American Mastodon, the leaked Ankylosaurus, and maybe the Anzu (I want to wait for some video reviews on it first). Of course if the ceratopsian ends up being Styracosaurus, I'd want that too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Damn, I only just now saw the Anzu. Definitely gonna snap up that sucker. Will probably pass it on Amargasaurus.

Doug Watson, did you do either of these?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on October 20, 2017, 07:04:17 PM
Damn, I only just now saw the Anzu. Definitely gonna snap up that sucker. Will probably pass it on Amargasaurus.

Doug Watson, did you do either of these?

No I didn't do either of these. So far the only ones of mine revealed are the Mastodon, Daeodon, Florida Panther, new colour version of the WW Jaguar, Muskox and Pygmy Hippo.

Nanuqsaurus

As a big fan of feathered dinosaurs: gotta love that Anzu! :) It's gorgeous, definitely gonna get that one! Amargasaurus looks great too, I could use more sauropods in my collection.

Pachyrhinosaurus

The amargasaurus is fantastic! The only better one IMO could be the Carnegie. It's a little bigger than I expected but that isn't a bad thing.

The anzu's really great, too. I was also hoping for an anzu since we already have quite a few oviraptors and citipati. It's about time their North American counterparts are represented in toy form.

I'm definitely putting my order in today since the new prehistorics now qualify for free shipping!
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: