News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Takama on October 27, 2017, 02:45:52 AM
My asumption is that there is no Hyenadon. Since there is only 7 models for this year

Think about it

Daeodon
Mastodon
Anzu
Amargasuarus
Mysterius Suropod that was shown in PT
And clearly a Ceratopsian horn in one of the teaser photos.
Therr is also an Armoured dinosaur in the Speculation Thread thats clearly Safari

Unless John made a Typo, i do not see an hyenadon happening

The Hyenodon speculation comes from the video with blurry pictures, in Asia one of the creatures shown was something canid-like with dark strippes on it's back. I don't know what extant canid from that location has that coloration.

Faelrin

I agree that there really needs to be an updated Allosaurus and Spinosaurus from them. Both of the current ones have their issues, and on top of that, just aren't up to par with their current sculpts now detail wise. I think the Triceratops and Stegosaurus could also have a facelift too. Aside from them, their Dilophosaurus, Gaunlong, and Mosasaurus have issues too. There's a huge difference between that Mosasaurus and the Tylosaurus from last year. I really want to see those all replaced some time. I'd also like to see them do some of the Carnegie theropods such as Carnotaurus and Cryolophosaurus, as I probably mentioned before. Only the Battat ones come close in accuracy (and probably the Carnegie ones minus the tripod pose), while the Papo ones clearly have more sculpted detail.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Reptilia

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 27, 2017, 02:56:47 AM
And, the CollectA Saurophaganax has a gaudy color scheme and a rather exaggerated tail length.

Yes, I suppose Collecta will make an Allosaurus for their deluxe range, if not this coming year probably the next. The Saurophaganax is rather mediocre, definitely not on par with their latest output, while a proper Allosaurus I think dates back to their earlier (very bad) years. So quite possible. If I had to bet I'd say Spinosaurus for Safari and Allosaurus for Collecta. And Giganotosaurus for Papo, just to have a badass theropod by each major brand.

John

Quote from: Takama on October 27, 2017, 02:45:52 AM
My asumption is that there is no Hyenadon. Since there is only 7 models for this year

Think about it

Daeodon
Mastodon
Anzu
Amargasuarus
Mysterius Suropod that was shown in PT
And clearly a Ceratopsian horn in one of the teaser photos.
Therr is also an Armoured dinosaur in the Speculation Thread thats clearly Safari

Unless John made a Typo, i do not see an hyenadon happening
Actually,I just meant that I only knew about 7 prehistoric animals that are coming out.There may or may not be more than that,I'm not sure.We'll find out as they turn up on Safari's site. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Reptilia

Couldn't the supposed Hyaenodon be an Andrewsarchus? The previous one has been discontinued for five years now, and also was quite a small figure.

Shonisaurus

Andrewsarchus is also Asiatic from Mongolia, which this supposition enters into reality. I would prefer hyaenodon since andrewsarchus I have many among others the Safari and the exceptional Collecta whose figure is one of the best on the market, we even have the discontinued Bullyland.

But as I say the company Safari has an outstanding potential in its figures so precisely do not do any discrimination when it comes to buying their products that are the best on the market along with other companies.

Jose S.M.

I don't know, all figures I've seen of Andrewsarchus are kind of bulky and muscular and the one of the video looks more slim. But it was blurry so it can be Andrewsarchus as well, I can't remember an extant animal with those colors, yellow or tan with dark stripes is a pattern very used in prehistoric mammals.

For the ones who have not seen the video or pics, this post made by Loon shows them, what has been revealed and speculation about the ones that have not yet been revealed: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6016.msg181329#msg181329

Sim

It's been nice seeing Safari fill in the obvious gaps in their Wild Safari prehistoric range.  After the 2017 figures and before the 2018 figures started being revealed, I've thought about which animals would be most likely to be made for the Wild Safari line.

I felt the most likely was an ankylosaurid with a tail club, it was the most obviously missing type of animal for a prehistoric toy line.  I thought Ankylosaurus was the most likely choice for this kind of dinosaur.  Others I've thought are among the most likely to be made were Amargasaurus, an oviraptorosaur, a therizinosaur, a new Spinosaurus, a non-sauropod sauropodomorph, and Carnotaurus.  These all seem like popular choices and they all have a figure in the Carnegie Collection that was only discontinued when the Carnegie Collection as a whole was discontinued in 2015, the Plateosaurus was even a sculpt from 1995.

Other choices that seem among the more likely, but maybe not as likely as the ones mentioned previously are: a new Styracosaurus, a new Pachycephalosaurus, a new Allosaurus, and a new Triceratops.  However, Styracosaurus and Pachycephalosaurus each had a figure in both the Wild Safari line and the Carnegie Collection, and all four of these figures were retired many years before the end of the Carnegie Collection, without being replaced.  So I'm not sure how likely it is new Wild Safari figures of these two will be made soon.  I think they have a chance though, maybe Safari wants to see if a new version by Doug will sell better, I think Styracosaurus has a good chance.  Allosaurus and Triceratops are both currently available in the Wild Safari line, and I don't know how much Safari thinks they need to make newer versions of these two.

Personally, what I'd most like to see from Wild Safari is: a new Stegosaurus, a Baryonyx, a Deinonychus, a troodontid/saurornithoidid (:P), a megalosaurid, and an ornithomimid.  If Safari makes a new non-sauropod sauropodomorph, Plateosaurus seems like the most likely choice.  If Safari makes a new therizinosaur, I hope it will be a nice change from what is expected, like how the Anzu was for an oviraptorosaur figure.  So instead of the very incompletely known Therizinosaurus, it would be interesting to see a figure of a therizinosaur known from better remains.

Faelrin

I'd like to see a Baryonyx and Deinonychus as well, aside from the others. The Feathered Velociraptor was really nice, but Deinonychus is probably my favorite dromaeosaurid next to Utahraptor, although I still love Velociraptor. Okay come to think of it, I'd like to see their take on Utahraptor as well. The Schleich just doesn't cut it. Safari Ltd does have a retired version of Utahraptor, so that might be fair game to do a new version at some point.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

I still want Safari to replace their Stegosaurus and Triceratops figures. As far as therizinosaurs go, Falcarius would be a cool choice.

And how about a walking pterosaur for a change? A Dsungaripterus seizing a crab in its bill would be sweet
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: suspsy on October 27, 2017, 06:52:49 PM
And how about a walking pterosaur for a change? A Dsungaripterus seizing a crab in its bill would be sweet

This is a really awesome idea for a figure! Would love to see something like that, but I doubt we'll ever get it.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on October 27, 2017, 06:24:18 PM
It's been nice seeing Safari fill in the obvious gaps in their Wild Safari prehistoric range.  After the 2017 figures and before the 2018 figures started being revealed, I've thought about which animals would be most likely to be made for the Wild Safari line.

I felt the most likely was an ankylosaurid with a tail club, it was the most obviously missing type of animal for a prehistoric toy line.  I thought Ankylosaurus was the most likely choice for this kind of dinosaur.  Others I've thought are among the most likely to be made were Amargasaurus, an oviraptorosaur, a therizinosaur, a new Spinosaurus, a non-sauropod sauropodomorph, and Carnotaurus.  These all seem like popular choices and they all have a figure in the Carnegie Collection that was only discontinued when the Carnegie Collection as a whole was discontinued in 2015, the Plateosaurus was even a sculpt from 1995.

Other choices that seem among the more likely, but maybe not as likely as the ones mentioned previously are: a new Styracosaurus, a new Pachycephalosaurus, a new Allosaurus, and a new Triceratops.  However, Styracosaurus and Pachycephalosaurus each had a figure in both the Wild Safari line and the Carnegie Collection, and all four of these figures were retired many years before the end of the Carnegie Collection, without being replaced.  So I'm not sure how likely it is new Wild Safari figures of these two will be made soon.  I think they have a chance though, maybe Safari wants to see if a new version by Doug will sell better, I think Styracosaurus has a good chance.  Allosaurus and Triceratops are both currently available in the Wild Safari line, and I don't know how much Safari thinks they need to make newer versions of these two.

Personally, what I'd most like to see from Wild Safari is: a new Stegosaurus, a Baryonyx, a Deinonychus, a troodontid/saurornithoidid (:P), a megalosaurid, and an ornithomimid.  If Safari makes a new non-sauropod sauropodomorph, Plateosaurus seems like the most likely choice.  If Safari makes a new therizinosaur, I hope it will be a nice change from what is expected, like how the Anzu was for an oviraptorosaur figure.  So instead of the very incompletely known Therizinosaurus, it would be interesting to see a figure of a therizinosaur known from better remains.

I think that's a pretty good run-down. I was pretty pleased to see the oviraptorosaur be one that's well known. I'd nominate Alxasaurus for a therizinosaur, but Suspsy's suggestion of a Falcarius would be great too.

To your list I'd only add an ichthyosaur. It's true that there was only an Ichthyosaurus in the Carnegie line for a few years, but it's the largest/most diverse marine reptile group that isn't currently represented in any way. And given that our admin has consulted on figures reasonably often, he'll probably have pointed that fact out. On the same lines, but maybe more of a dark horse: Nothosaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Man I have hopes that someday make Safari or another Western company a dsungaripterus in the decent toy market and as we all wish it were. We must not lose hope.  :)

What companies should do Safari, Schleich, Papo, Collecta, Favorite or Rebor to give example dinosaurs and prehistoric animals unpublished and reedictions of others, that would be great a Solomonic solution when it comes to market figures.

As far as dsungaripterus is concerned with the estemmenochus, moschops, lystrosaurus, ptedodaustro or elasmotherium of dark prehistoric animals I would like them to be made not to standard size or small but to acceptable size as Collecta deluxe or the current prehistoric animals of Safari.

I understand that prehistoric animals and unknown toy dinosaurs should be made both for the public collector (among whom I am) and for the children and youth audience so that it serves to make known species that prehistoric animals and above all dinosaurs unprecedented in the toy market for both collectors and children. This I believe would encourage not only collecting but the understanding of animal life on earth before the arrival of modern man.

On the other hand as I know that there is a lot of followers of the prehistoric dinosaurs and classic animals I am also in favor of reedictions that can improve the previous figures of said collections.

My idea would be to make each company equally dinosaurs and prehistoric animals toy unknown and classic so that in this way there would be no complaints for either side.

Dan

Reptilia

The more I look at the Anzu the more I like it.

Jose S.M.

The Anzu looks  stunning in that photo.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on October 28, 2017, 12:21:12 AM

So does the Amarga (unpopular opinion).

Jose S.M.

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 28, 2017, 02:46:22 AM

Not that unpopular, I like how the colors look in this shots more than the promos hehehe. And I like the figure in general too, just not that much to replace my Carnegie one. I found their colors too bright in their official promos.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 28, 2017, 02:46:22 AM

I certainly will not make disgust to amargasaurus in the face of majority opinion. I find the amargasaurus Safari a great figure regardless of whether I like the Carnegie (although I do not like its size so small) and Battat (I do not like its small size). Anyway the amargasaurus of Safari next year seems to me a great figure.

As far as the anzu is flour of another costal is a hyperrealistic beauty. Very nice.  8)

Pachyrhinosaurus

Here are a few comparison shots for those interested:

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: