News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexeratops

Wouldn't it just be dandy if the new Triceratops was in the same scale as our lovely feathered Tyrannosaurus by Safari?
like a bantha!

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Is it just me, or does nearly all of the recent safari models, this year's as well as the past couple years looked WAY better in person than in their promotional images? It is usually the other way around, but the images on their website make the sculpts look just a tad odd, and from angles that make them look awkward, whereas they look amazing in person?
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Bucklander

What a wonderful surprise, so many figures I was wishing for but wouldn't have dared to hope for. All these Cenozoic mammals! Looks like Safari and Carnegie going their separate ways was the an answer to our (well my, at least) prayers!

And Doug, that Dimetrodon...   it looks like the best Dimetrodon ever! Possibly one of the best prehistoric figures ever!!! Blown away.

Your work Doug, has always been first class, but now you have truly earned the title of Master - the Dimetrodon is an indisputable masterpiece! Well done. Thank you so much Doug. Thank you so much Safari!

Neosodon

I'm most looking forward to the Malawisaurus. The neck and tail are posed naturally without looking too stiff and just looks over all incredibly shaped and proportioned. I will have to see it in person to see if it really beats the Shuno and diplo but I've got high hopes. The size is perfect and it certainly beats the Amargosaurus. Sauropods are my personal favorite dinosaurs but still; what's with the lack of enthusiasm for it?

The Triceratops (prorsus?) portrays the animal very well. It is my 3rd most anticipated after the anky.

Quote from: Dromaenychus on November 14, 2017, 02:27:41 AM
The Hell Creek All Stars are complete!
Except for Edmontosaurus. The biggest dinosaur in hell creek but no one really cares about it. :(

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

John

So there will 13 new models altogether next year,just like this one. ;D
I didn't see Triceratops coming,that was a nice surprise,and the Malawisaurus is very good!Both of those along with everything else that are too many to name are must haves for me. ^-^
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

laticauda

I am getting so far behind.  My budget just can't keep up with all these new models.   :'(

Flaffy

Mystery cleared, it is indeed a hyaenodon. Nothing spectacular, just wish Safari went for anything other than another WWB clone.
Really happy about the Macrauchenia and Malawisaurus though.
Really digging Malawisaurus's colour scheme, an interesting take on a sauropod.
The Macrauchenia is just elegant, definitely a welcoming surprise.
It's nice to see an updated Triceratops, nothing to write home about, but I might pick it up down the road. Like come on, how can you possibly pass up a ceratopsid sculpted by Doug  ;)
As for the Dimetrodon, the colours are awful, especially on the sail, makes it look like a cheap dollar store toy. Again like CollectA's Estemmenosuchus, I personally would've preferred more mammalian features. A fully scaly dimetrodon doesn't convince me.

ZoPteryx

Really impressive new reveals!!!  :o

The Hyaenodon is really stunning!  Much more naturalistic and detailed than the Mojo version.

I'm split on the Dimetrodon.  It's definitely the most accurate sculpt to date and I like it overall, but I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme or the grooves around the limbs that make them look like separate pieces.  This is probably one of those figures that'll look much better in person.  ;)

The Macrauchenia looks fantastic!  Loving the color scheme and the much more natural looking stance than the Schleich version.  I should mention that recent research has cast doubt on the presence of a tapir-like trunk, but this figure's still too nice to pass up!

The Malawisaurus is a big improvement over the Amargasaurus!  Good size, good detail, original coloration, it's a must buy for me!  And I can't help but feel like it was inspired by this pose...

...with this color scheme...

And finally, a Triceratops fitting for my collection!  ;D  I've been holding off on getting any Triceratops because all of them seemed to pale next to Safari and Doug's other ceratopsians, in both accuracy and aesthetics, and now he has made the perfect compliment to them.  Thank you so much Doug!  :)

Safari is definitely getting more of my money than usual this year!  >:D

Simon

Any info on how big the Malawisaurus is?  That was not a large animal, so it could easily be 1/35 scale depending on how big Safari made it?  I'll get it in a NY minute if its large enough...

*EDIT*  Just went over to the Safari site and found out this puppy is 14" long and 4" tall (!!!).  I'll be getting one!!

Kayakasaurus

Unboxing video just posted! There's a comparison of Regaliceratops with Safari's other Ceratopsians, it's one of my new favorites... now I'm wondering how the Triceratops scales up!

https://youtu.be/hrXb8hCBTiY
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Doug Watson

Quote from: alexeratops on November 14, 2017, 03:13:20 AM
Wouldn't it just be dandy if the new Triceratops was in the same scale as our lovely feathered Tyrannosaurus by Safari?

They are both in 1:35 scale.

Doug Watson

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on November 14, 2017, 12:20:23 AM
Thanks for the clarification on the integument, I didn't say anything about the lips, just the tips of the neural spines. ;) Now, based on the info you provided, you did a nice job on the sculpt with the info provided to you.

The comment on the lips wasn't aimed at you or TQ it was just an additional FYI on the background for the piece.

Takama

So the t.rex and trike are 1:35 scale after all?

I may have to buy them now.   

Concavenator

Doug,did you do the Malawisaurus? and the Triceratops? (I think you did)

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'll be getting all the dinos and the Dimetro...but yeah skipping the mammals. At least I do save a bit that way,  it's honestly getting rather crowded here at any rate. 

Neosodon

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 14, 2017, 06:18:01 AM

For a 29 foot long Triceratops and 40 foot T. Rex I got 1:45 for the Tric and 1:40 for the Rex. The scale is not bad but were did you get 1:35 from?

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Doug Watson

Quote from: Neosodon on November 14, 2017, 07:54:58 AM
Quote from: Doug Watson on November 14, 2017, 06:18:01 AM

For a 29 foot long Triceratops and 40 foot T. Rex I got 1:45 for the Tric and 1:40 for the Rex. The scale is not bad but were did you get 1:35 from?

How are you getting accurate scale without the model in hand? You can't use lengths given by the company since that is the spacial length of the model and not measured the way a palaeontologist would. Fossils are measured with the skull and vertebrae laid out in a straight line on a floor or table without any curves in the neck, back or tail. The only way to accurately get scale is to run a string from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail following every dip and curve of the vertebrae. The scale can be off by a percentage point due to shrinkage since I have to estimate that and add to the length of the original but it will usually be dead on or within a small percentage.
For example for my T rex I based it on Sue whose maximum length is reported at 42 feet. My production sample in hand measures 14.375" along the vertebrae. 42' x 12 = 504"÷ 14.375" = 35.06 or 1:35

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on November 14, 2017, 06:47:58 AM
Doug,did you do the Malawisaurus? and the Triceratops? (I think you did)

No I only did the Triceratops, check out my reply # 922 on page 47 of this thread for the list of pieces I did this year.

Jose S.M.

Wow the measures can be so different when taking all the curves and shapes in count. Safari gives a length of just 11.80 inches for the Tyrannosaurus.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on November 14, 2017, 12:25:09 PM
Wow the measures can be so different when taking all the curves and shapes in count. Safari gives a length of just 11.80 inches for the Tyrannosaurus.

That is correct if you had a living Triceratops and wanted to measure it to fit in a crate the length would be much less than the lengths given in scientific literature.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: