News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hadrosaurs Snacked on Crustaceans

Started by ZoPteryx, September 22, 2017, 02:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Saw this article in my news feed.  Makes sense that herbivorous dinosaurs would have eaten shellfish to sequester calcium for egg shell production during the breeding season.  I'm a little more dubious about the claim that they found those crustaceans (not bivalves?) in rotting wood.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/21/552387800/shellfish-surprise-common-herbivore-dinosaur-found-to-dabble-in-crustaceans?sc=tw

I'll post a link to the paper when it pops up.  ;)

EDIT:  Here's the open access paper:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-11538-w

Looks like this association was found in more than just a few little coprolites.  I guess there really were wood boring crustaceans in the Cretaceous.  Very interesting.

Halichoeres

Maybe things like robber crabs were more common then.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 22, 2017, 03:20:34 AM
Maybe things like robber crabs were more common then.

Do they live in wood though?  I think it'd be far more likely that the hadrosaur just happened to consume a crustacean and some wood in the hours before nature called.

Of course now you've got me thinking about what paleo-coconut crab diversity may have been like!  :))

CityRaptor

Makes sense. They are a calcium source. Many modern herbivores also add some protein to their diets. And some carnivores add fruit. So things are not as strict as usually depicted.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ZoPteryx

Added a link to the open access paper to the first post.  ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

Something that caught my eye was the comment there Is no evidence to link the coprolite to hadrosaurs, the association was made by the amount of bones for the genus found in the direct area ....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

ceratopsian

A very interesting read.

I suppose that will almost always be the way with coprolites re the identity of producer - it will almost inevitably be inference only by the very nature of what they are - similar to footprints but without even the cue of the number/shape of digits and claws etc.

WarrenJB

Interesting stuff. For terrestrial crustaceans found in rotting wood, I would've assumed isopods before decapods (and the authors don't come across overly sure themselves) but fair do's.

Halichoeres

Quote from: WarrenJB on September 25, 2017, 09:48:52 PM
Interesting stuff. For terrestrial crustaceans found in rotting wood, I would've assumed isopods before decapods (and the authors don't come across overly sure themselves) but fair do's.

Yeah, that's what I would have thought too!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.