News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on May 06, 2018, 02:48:27 AM
Id like if mr.seo had finished his studies on the giganotosaurus already. I need more giganotosaurus figures.

That interview is from three years ago, if he was actually going to sculpt a Giganotosaurus it must be finished by now. It was the same interview where he was mentioning Iguanodon and where all the fuss about Papo making one started, so chances are high we'll get a Giganotosaurus too eventually.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Reptilia on May 05, 2018, 12:32:08 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on May 05, 2018, 12:27:46 PM
I would say that award should go to their Tylosaurus :P ;D .

Same sculptor, must be frustrating for him / her to have such poor feedbacks!

A good artist should be able to take criticism, good or bad. That is how we grow and refine our methods.

That said, these are my views:
- If Papo has a certain style, that's fine. Some like it, others do not.
- If the figure is representing a certain character from any franchise, regardless of scientific accuracy, that is okay, too. Good examples being the standing Rex, the Spinosaurus, and the featherless raptors, all of which are inspired by JP.
- However, some of their figures do not seem to emulate other sources (or at least not to me, anyway). If that is the case, I believe EVERY company has the obligation to do some research and make sure their figures are as close to what is accurate as possible. Dinosaur lovers of all ages look to these companies to make good figures. Keeping with updated scientific discoveries can make GREAT figures.

Reptilia

Papo didn't limit their inspiration source to JP movies, almost all of their prehistoric figures have been inspired by something already existing either in pop culture or proper paleoart. I should make a list with all of those references one day.

tyrantqueen

*snip*

Wasn't that interview about the Giganoto research? If you think about it, it really doesn't even take research to get the Theri right. ALL known images of the Theri have massive claws. It must have been a decision made at the safety and compliance department. I have the first generation Theri from CollectA and the claws are pretty soft and malleable. First generation Papo dinosaurs were similar. The Triceratops horns were relatively soft when compared to the build of future dinosaur representations (Perhaps, why Papo chose to make a juvenile Triceratops with blunted horns rather than a remake). Papo now employs more durable, denser materials. The Ceratosaurus teeth are razor sharp but they are also minuscule, posing absolutely no safety hazard.

And, if Mr. Seo is as naive as we are led to believe, he is doing an impressive job as most Papos are about 80% accurate reconstructions.

Ah, I found the quote:

Quote- Inspiration: Basically he uses both scientific literature and dinosaurs depicted in mass media in order to satisfy both children and adult collectors (due to demand by Papo rather than his own decision).

Sorry, I guess I got that wrong.

It's kind of a shame about him using mass media as his inspiration, but I suppose it helps the figures sell better.

I used to love Papo when I first started collecting, but I "grew out of them" once I got more interested in paleontology.

He's very talented, that's for sure.

Shonisaurus

Honestly, the figures of Papo dinosaur toys could be more scientific but I'm really happy with this acrocanthosaurus repainted and the same can be said about the masterpieces of the therizinosaurus and quetzalcoatlus of Papo 2018.

About the therizinosaurus it is true that I should have bigger claws like scythes, I have seen pictures of the claws that this magnificent creature had and they are impressively large. I think they have not been made so great not to safeguard the integrity of children from my point of view but because it is typical of Papo's dinosaurs are artistic licenses that characterize this exceptional brand.

In what refers to the acrocanthosaurus what I do not understand is that they did not adopt from the first moment those tones of paintings on the figure but sincerely as the saying goes "to rectify is of wise" and they have turned an already outstanding figure with their acrocanthosaurus arcoires in an authentic work of art.

Reptilia

That quote really explains what Papo is, it says that's a direct demand from the company to use pop culture depictions as references. They want their figures to be that way, sure for a pondered marketing choice, and that's why they have so many fans, I guess.

The Atroxious

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 06, 2018, 01:38:24 PM
It's kind of a shame about him using mass media as his inspiration, but I suppose it helps the figures sell better.

I used to love Papo when I first started collecting, but I "grew out of them" once I got more interested in paleontology.

Interestingly, it was the exact opposite for me.

When I first got into collecting, I was a stickler for anatomical accuracy. Even the figure that convinced me to start collecting, the Carnegie Beipiaosaurus bothered me a bit with its lack of EBFFs. Back then, I could not imagine owning a Papo figure, and I could not fathom why people liked them so much. They all looked like boring, outdated, watered-down versions of what they were trying to portray. As time went on, I got more tolerant of inaccuracies, especially if they're not that glaring.

Presently, I'm all for artistic license in dinosaur figures. That's part of the beauty of art, after all. It becomes possible to stylize the reality and create something that's recognizable, yet unique and personal to the artist. To say that art has to be photorealistic is to ignore the many varieties of beautiful pieces that can be achieved without it.

postsaurischian

Jose S.M.

After seeing photos and videos about the Therizinosaurus and knowing now thanks to postsaurichian that is about 1:35 scale I'm pretty sure I would get it. I like th sculpt and colors very much and even the pose is starting to grow on me, it helps the eye catching factor.

Atokensis

DragonRider02

Anyone knows when Theri is going to be avaiable at EverythingDinosaur? I want to grab him As soon as possible

Minmiminime

Quote from: DragonRider02 on May 06, 2018, 08:20:09 PM
Anyone knows when Theri is going to be avaiable at EverythingDinosaur? I want to grab him As soon as possible

According to their FB page they said "a few days". Taking into account the bank holiday, that should be pretty soon ^-^ I emailed them to ask them to reserve me a Theri and an Iguanodon, it may be worth doing the same!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Syndicate Bias

I collect mostly for artistic value over accuracy but i do however look for amy accurate models that are artistic as well

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 06, 2018, 01:38:24 PM
*snip*

Wasn't that interview about the Giganoto research? If you think about it, it really doesn't even take research to get the Theri right. ALL known images of the Theri have massive claws. It must have been a decision made at the safety and compliance department. I have the first generation Theri from CollectA and the claws are pretty soft and malleable. First generation Papo dinosaurs were similar. The Triceratops horns were relatively soft when compared to the build of future dinosaur representations (Perhaps, why Papo chose to make a juvenile Triceratops with blunted horns rather than a remake). Papo now employs more durable, denser materials. The Ceratosaurus teeth are razor sharp but they are also minuscule, posing absolutely no safety hazard.

And, if Mr. Seo is as naive as we are led to believe, he is doing an impressive job as most Papos are about 80% accurate reconstructions.

Ah, I found the quote:

Quote- Inspiration: Basically he uses both scientific literature and dinosaurs depicted in mass media in order to satisfy both children and adult collectors (due to demand by Papo rather than his own decision).

Sorry, I guess I got that wrong.

Thank you for the interview excerpt/reference.

Not sure how someone grows out of Papo, especially since there has been an exponential rise in the quality and accuracy of their models (heck, even DW hasn't grown out of Papos) . For comparison's sake, that's like when someone tells me they grew out of Nintendo, only to play Xbox or SONY console games. Well, anyways, more power to you

Reptilia

Minmiminime

Every bit as beautiful as expected, and more! I really do feel that they've excelled themselves this year. Thank you for sharing that, Reptilia ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Mini Minmi

I'm so pumped for those figures! The videos and pictures are such a tease! Soon... Soon...  :D

tanystropheus

What a gorgeous Iguanodon! I hope Papo expands their hadrosaur line (yeah, I am aware that Iguano is not a hadrosaur but)... Make a Saurolophus!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Minmiminime on May 06, 2018, 11:59:51 PM
Every bit as beautiful as expected, and more! I really do feel that they've excelled themselves this year. Thank you for sharing that, Reptilia ^-^

I thought I was sure that CollectA had made the best Iguano, but now I am left confused...

Minmiminime

It's a great year for us Iguanodon fans >:D I'm greatly looking forward to the CollectA one, but suspect that this Papo one will be my favourite. I'm half-expecting a review from Jurassic Collectables today...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: