News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katieraptor

Huh it's hilarious. Also that therizinosaurus is pretty good.
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

dragon53

I would like to see a photo of the Acrocanthosaurus Repaint that's in the background of the two photos.

Fenestra

Quote from: dragon53 on January 24, 2018, 05:40:11 AM
I would like to see a photo of the Acrocanthosaurus Repaint that's in the background of the two photos.

You can see pictures on the first page of this thread.

Nanuqsaurus

Hmm that Theri isn't too bad, I might even get it to replace the rather ridiculous Schleich one I have now. And that Acrocanthosaurus repaint is amazing! :)

dragon53

FENESTRA:

I've already seen the Acrocanthosaurus Repaint photo on the first page---I was hoping to see what the non-pr photos of the Repaint would look like which might give a more realistic look at it since pr photos are sometimes not that accurate.

Shonisaurus

Sincerely every day I like Papo's therizinosaurus more, I think it will be just as great as his quetzalcoatlus whose photos, apart from the promotional ones, we still do not have at hand but I guess it will be just as great. On the other hand the therizinosaurus must be very voluminous and even big thing that I applaud and it is worthy of praise. He is an outstanding figure.  8)

In relation to the acrocanthosaurus sincerely wins the figure with the repainted.  :)

To finish the amargasaurus I have to confirm that it is the loosest figure made by Papo this year. I honestly do not like how it is made although the photo of the London toy fair looks better than in your promotional photos and I simply buy it to complete the Papo collection.

Moodyraptor

Huh, I like the therizinosaurus in that picture much better than in the promo pictures.  It looks kind of like some amiable species of hell-dragon (I mean that in a good way!) I could be tempted, but the only definite must-gets for me this year are Iguanodon and the compy.

Halichoeres

Not for nothing has the Papo Amarga been dubbed the Unicorn Amarga. It's staggeringly and incongruously bad.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

The Therizinosaurus is just amazing! It's majestic, imposing, uber-detailed. A cross between a dinosaur and a mythical beast. My only nitpick is the feathering on the arms, would have preferred either bare limbs or a fuzzy kind of coat. But this doesn't detract anything from my excitement anyway. Also the size is impressive, considering that it towers on the Acrocanthosaurus at its side.

The Acrocanthosaurus itself is on the same level of coolness, can't wait to see more pictures to properly admire the new look, but it definitely feels like it was meant to be coloured like this instead of that infamous rainbow pattern. I guess I will get rid of the original very soon.

Glad that these two are the first batch of releases, I'll get my hands on them as soon as they become available!

paintingdinos

I'm glad the Therizinosaurus is so big... really makes it stand out. Its a strangely shaped critter, for sure, but I think the stock photos perhaps exaggerated its gut proportions. Def my favorite of all the new stuff for Papo this year.

IrritatorRaji

I'm glad the Theri actually looks really good. I thought by the stock photo we were going to get something with a pot belly and a tiny head. Good thing the stock photo is just dodgy.

PhilSauria

I was in two minds in regard to the Theriz on seeing that initial image but this new photo has me putting this one on the 'to buy' list. Really makes a lot of the efforts from other brands look a tad unrealistic, which is saying something for an animal like this.

Faelrin

I still quite like the Acrocanthosaurus repaint, and the Therizinosaurus, although the Therizinosaurus looks to have better proportions then before. I'm still wondering how the Iguanodon is going to turn out, aside from the Compsognathus and Quetzalcoatlus.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Reptilia on January 24, 2018, 09:21:24 PM

Glad that these two are the first batch of releases, I'll get my hands on them as soon as they become available!

How do you know that the therizinosaurus and acrocanthosaurus are going to be next to the amargasaurus (although you do not quote it) the first figures commercialized by Papo? If that's true for me it's great.

Both the acrocanthosaurus and the therizinosaurus are my favorite figures this year next to the quetzalcoatlus.

I would be glad if those figures were among the first commercialized.

Reptilia

Last year the models we've seen at the London Toy Fair were the first to be released (Polacanthus, Ceratosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, and a bit later Cryolophosaurus), while those that were missing (cave bear, Smilodon and Dimorphodon) were issued later in the year. I assume that the three we see here will be released for first, while the missing ones (Compsognathus, Iguanodon and Quetzalcoatlus) will come after the summer. The juvenile Spinosaurus is still presented as part of the boxset with the Ceratosaurus, so I guess its standalone release will also be in the second part of 2018. Moreover, I seem to remember Everything Dinosaur saying that the Acrocanthosaurus and Therizinosaurus were set for a first quarter release.

Katieraptor

Quote from: Faelrin on January 25, 2018, 03:24:56 AM
I still quite like the Acrocanthosaurus repaint, and the Therizinosaurus, although the Therizinosaurus looks to have better proportions then before. I'm still wondering how the Iguanodon is going to turn out, aside from the Compsognathus and Quetzalcoatlus.

The repaint looks good, however I still can't stand that pose.
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 24, 2018, 02:58:55 PM

To finish the amargasaurus I have to confirm that it is the loosest figure made by Papo this year.

Yeah, that unicorn gets around quite some.

yankeetrex

Anyone know if Papo has a presence at the NYC Toy Fair?

Katieraptor

Quote from: yankeetrex on January 26, 2018, 02:35:32 PM
Anyone know if Papo has a presence at the NYC Toy Fair?

I googled it for you. Does this help at all?

My Art

Andre

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: