News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Thoughts on the upcoming Collectible Museum Series from DAMTOYS?

Started by SirGrooot, October 02, 2017, 08:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirGrooot

Through some lazy browsing I stumbled upon what seems to be a new line from DAMTOYs, delivering museum quality dino statues that large pay tribute to the jurassic park representations of the dinosaurs. If you're into the Hollywood aesthetic of dinos, then I feel these are incredible yet I wonder how the final product will fair. What are your thoughts?

T rex (brown version)
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/62280

T rex (green version)
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/62282

Dilo (frill)
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/61056

Dilo (no-frill)
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/61059

Reptilia

They are beautiful, although I would have preferred full body sculpts. Considering they dared to use terms such as "paleontology world" and "museum series" I'm waiting for people to bash them in 1, 2, 3...

stargatedalek

Quote from: Reptilia on October 02, 2017, 08:35:07 PM
Considering they dared to use terms such as "paleontology world" and "museum series" I'm waiting for people to bash them in 1, 2, 3...
Implying they shouldn't be called out for lying? Does it directly hurt anyone when they claim these are scientifically accurate? No, but they should still be called out on outright lying. Why is it alright for them to try and deceive people? Just because you like what they make? Or just because you are tired of seeing "nothing but complaining"? When companies lie people will complain, and no matter how harmless the lie is someone is always justified to complain about a lie. You'll just have to get used to it because it's not going to change unless companies stop lying (which is unlikely to happen).

These are film prop replicas, very nice film prop replicas, but they're film prop replicas. These are not "museum (of natural history) quality", these are not "scientifically accurate" and I would argue they are not "reconstructions of extinct animals". These are film prop replicas, and they should be marketed as-such, anything else is deceitful.

Reptilia

Exactly!

I like the T-Rex but I don't like how they distorted the Dilophosaurus skull to make it more scientifically accurate.

PumperKrickel

deleted

stargatedalek

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on October 02, 2017, 08:59:22 PM
I think calling it a "museum series" is fair game. There are tons of movie prop museums. In that regard this certainly is museum quality, since these are very accurate representations of the creatures seen in Jurassic Park.

Implying these are not reconstructions of extinct animals is kinda ridiculous. Even outdated or wrong reconstructions are still reconstructions.

I don´t quite see where the company lied, either. They didn´t claim scientific accuracy, even though they came close by saying they studied a real Dilo skull. The term "Paleontology World" is most likely just a reference to Jurassic World.
"After extensive research, the team at DAMToys designed a realistic bust, based on the reconstruction of and actual Dilophosaurus skull. This version of the Dilophosaurus is sculpted with its neck frills deployed in attempts of attracting a mate. This bust also features a textured skin in order to make it as realistic as possible."

"After extensive research, the team at DAMToys designed a realistic bust, based on the reconstruction of and actual Dilophosaurus skull. This version of the Dilophosaurus is sculpted with its neck frills un-deployed but with bone protrusion. This bust also features a textured skin in order to make it as realistic as possible."

"Dinosaurs are the most prominent species in the prehistoric world. Damtoys' team of artists showcases the characteristics of the Tyrannosaurus rex through a special design concept. The bust is created using relief sculpture techniques, then placed on a monumental style base to create the scene. This bust is like a permanent piece in a museum collection, created for collectors."

They go a little further than just implying that these are scientifically accurate. As for my saying these aren't reconstructions of extinct animals I stand by that, these are reconstructions of movie props that are themselves stylized reconstructions of extinct animals. Saying they aren't reconstructions of extinct animals is not about them being outdated or wrong, it's about them being explicitly based on film props.

Reptilia

T-Rex: wonderful film prop replica.

Dilophosaurus: ok film prop replica, the skull ain't screen accurate.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Loon

I stumbled upon these guys earlier on sideshow's website, and after about a week or so, I still don't know how I feel about them. I kinda like the Dilophosaurus, sans frill, it's not 100% accurate to current reconstructions, and definitely not too Jurassic Park-like. The Rex is still the weakest of the two to me. the weird scaling and odd detailing on the top of the neck kind of are a turn off. The weird look gives me a Rebor King T. rex vibe,more than Jurassic Park.

SirGrooot

Quote from: Loon on October 03, 2017, 12:40:20 AM
I stumbled upon these guys earlier on sideshow's website, and after about a week or so, I still don't know how I feel about them. I kinda like the Dilophosaurus, sans frill, it's not 100% accurate to current reconstructions, and definitely not too Jurassic Park-like. The Rex is still the weakest of the two to me. the weird scaling and odd detailing on the top of the neck kind of are a turn off. The weird look gives me a Rebor King T. rex vibe,more than Jurassic Park.

Funny you say that! I actually felt the same way about the Rebor vibe with the Rex statue.. Clearly inspired by JP, but going for something a bit different. As far as the scaling goes.. Well the Jurassic Park Rex does have an enlarged skull, but this does seem to push it ever so slightly. I can't deny that the wonderful sculpt of the head allows me to look past it, but the lack of proper scale is definitely present. Upon inspection, they did take some liberties with the Dilo and I'm happy with their changes.

Silvanusaurus

It looks more like Papo's running rex than the Jurassic Park rex to me. The way it's morphing out of some leaves at the back is very disconcerting, but the whole thing is a pretty odd design.

CityRaptor

You know, they could at least admit that they just copied certain movies.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

The Dilophosaurus actually looks pretty accurate to me, and I like that it's essentially a more realistic version of the JP Dilo. However, that rex is odd. It looks like a mashup of Rebor's, JP, and the Vastatasaurus from Kong, the Brown suits it better IMO. They're kinda like Papo figs on steroids.
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

CityRaptor

Well yes, the one without the frill does. The one with the frill however is clearly the result of filler DNA and would look very different if the genetic code was pure.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Mackeral

Looks insane, if only they would make full size figures..

Reptilia

The central piece in the first picture is exactly how I would imagine a Coelophysis by Papo. In fact it looks a lot like Mr Seo's sculpting style.

Libraraptor

As much as I appreciate the effort and detail that went into these busts, which do look very good, I prefer whole figures.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 02, 2017, 08:45:09 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on October 02, 2017, 08:35:07 PM
Considering they dared to use terms such as "paleontology world" and "museum series" I'm waiting for people to bash them in 1, 2, 3...
Implying they shouldn't be called out for lying? Does it directly hurt anyone when they claim these are scientifically accurate? No, but they should still be called out on outright lying. Why is it alright for them to try and deceive people? Just because you like what they make? Or just because you are tired of seeing "nothing but complaining"? When companies lie people will complain, and no matter how harmless the lie is someone is always justified to complain about a lie. You'll just have to get used to it because it's not going to change unless companies stop lying (which is unlikely to happen).

These are film prop replicas, very nice film prop replicas, but they're film prop replicas. These are not "museum (of natural history) quality", these are not "scientifically accurate" and I would argue they are not "reconstructions of extinct animals". These are film prop replicas, and they should be marketed as-such, anything else is deceitful.

I think we live in an age where, the phrase "museum quality" means "pure awesomeness in a box". I mean, just think about the type of rubbish paleontology toys they sell/promote at modern museum gift shops. Heck, amazon actively promotes bootlegs these days. Not that any of these practices adhere to correct form or anything to that effect - but the threshold for acceptance has changed quite a bit in the last 5 years or so.

tanystropheus

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 04, 2017, 10:34:07 AM
You know, they could at least admit that they just copied certain movies.

Hmm..have you seen the trailer for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom? There are Papo JP toys and props in the background scene. I think these companies are even less worked up about it than we are.

Halichoeres

I don't care about the busts, but if it's possible to remove the prey of the Coelophysis and Spinosaurus, I'm interested in the prey. The Onchopristis (or whatever sawfish that is) has a hilariously painted underside, making it look like a sad face. Most sawfish I've seen look either neutral or happy in ventral view, but it's fitting for one trapped in a spinosaur's jaws.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: