News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: John on December 02, 2017, 04:18:40 PM
There is no way to have any idea what color Dimetrodon or Ceratosaurus were in life,so any arguments about their coloring in the CollectA models or any other prehistoric animal of any brand are moot.For all we know,the model makers may have gotten really close to the mark in coloration,especially when it comes to odd display structures. ;)

It's not really the color choices that are a miss. It's how these colors come together and blend in. It could make a difference between a stellar product and a great one. Case in point, the Papo Rainbow Acro vs. Papo Acro v.2 . Another example of not-so-great colors blending perfectly is the exemplary CollectA Dimorphodon. However, these same colors fail to coalesce, in harmony, in the CollectA Gigantspinosaurus

John

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 02, 2017, 04:26:58 PM
There is no way to have any idea what color Dimetrodon or Ceratosaurus were in life,so any arguments about their coloring in the CollectA models or any other prehistoric animal of any brand are moot.For all we know,the model makers may have gotten really close to the mark in coloration,especially when it comes to odd display structures. ;)

It's not really the color choices that are a miss. It's how these colors come together and blend in. It could make a difference between a stellar product and a great one. Case in point, the Papo Rainbow Acro vs. Papo Acro v.2 . Another example of not-so-great colors blending perfectly is the exemplary CollectA Dimorphodon. However, these same colors fail to coalesce, in harmony, in the CollectA Gigantspinosaurus
I didn't even know that Papo was even releasing a repainted version of their Acrocanthosaurus...so I just checked it out and found they are doing a Quetzalcoatlus too.Interesting,thanks for letting me know about them. :)
And on the topic at hand,there will always be those that do repaints of everything,so I'm sure we will eventually get to see how repainted versions of all the upcoming models will look,that reveal even more detail than any factory paint job ever could. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Megalosaurus on December 01, 2017, 11:39:20 PM

I wish some of those companies decide to make a Edaphosaurus to acompany my dimetrodons. And a Ophiacodon too. And many many other permian animals please.

Yes, I'd love to see ColllectA make more Permian animals, I completely agree!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

I would like Collecta to make a moschops, cacops, edaphosaurus, anteosaurus, cotylorhynchus, scutosaurus, elginia, pareisaurus, gorgonops, lycaenops casea or sphenacodon among other figures of prehistoric Permian animals. The animals of the Permian are very undervalued by the prehistoric animal toy companies and are as interesting as the dinosaurs, apart from these there are prehistoric Triassic animals like saurosuchus, desmatosuchus, smilosuchus, rutiodon, postosuchus (although there are many of that species masterfully made ) or lystrosaurus that could be done by companies such as Safari, Collecta, Papo or Schleich.  :))

We are already three people interested in Permian animals.  :)

suspsy

Those are all great ideas by Shonisaurus. Edaphosaurus, Cotylorhynchus, and Gorgonops would be at the top of my list. And it would be great to see some much earlier critters such as Anomalocaris and Hallucigenia.

That said, I don't think we should get our hopes up too high. CollectA's prehistoric line is always going to be about dinosaurs first and foremost. We're getting three Paleozoic animals in 2018; we may not see another until 2020 or later.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: John on December 02, 2017, 04:50:26 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 02, 2017, 04:26:58 PM

I didn't even know that Papo was even releasing a repainted version of their Acrocanthosaurus...so I just checked it out and found they are doing a Quetzalcoatlus too.Interesting,thanks for letting me know about them. :)
And on the topic at hand,there will always be those that do repaints of everything,so I'm sure we will eventually get to see how repainted versions of all the upcoming models will look,that reveal even more detail than any factory paint job ever could. :)

Yes, I am very much looking forward to those models. Papo is on a roll and will receive nothing but 'endless praise' from me.

I enjoy seeing Martin Garrett's interpretation of popular dinosaurs toys/models.

Halichoeres

Quote from: suspsy on December 04, 2017, 01:52:25 AM
That said, I don't think we should get our hopes up too high. CollectA's prehistoric line is always going to be about dinosaurs first and foremost. We're getting three Paleozoic animals in 2018; we may not see another until 2020 or later.

Yeah, I'm bracing myself for that already. A lot of my favorite CollectA innovations are one-offs. We had all those plants in 2012 and none since, and the great little Hypsilophodon and Koreaceratops families the same year, but nothing like those has come out since, either. I hope these aren't the last Paleozoics we'll see, but if so it's doubly sad that two of the three slots were filled with the two taxa that are already most frequently made.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 05, 2017, 12:05:49 AM
Quote from: suspsy on December 04, 2017, 01:52:25 AM

Yeah, I'm bracing myself for that already. A lot of my favorite CollectA innovations are one-offs. We had all those plants in 2012 and none since, and the great little Hypsilophodon and Koreaceratops families the same year, but nothing like those has come out since, either. I hope these aren't the last Paleozoics we'll see, but if so it's doubly sad that two of the three slots were filled with the two taxa that are already most frequently made.

I'm sincerely hoping that my pessimism is misplaced. Only time will tell.

I too was disappointed that we haven't seen any more plants or little dinosaur families. Maybe they just weren't very good sellers.

zatrex99

The CollectA Brontosaurus. I'll buy three of them easily. One as an original and two to customize. The body is perfect and though my sculpting skills are rudimentary at best, I think I can come close to capturing that head and however I fail sculpting wise, I can paint to cover. Or so I hope. Have to get one in my hands first.

Shonisaurus

It is a pity that this year's brontosaurus is not in Deluxe size it looks spectacular I like it very much, and honestly although I do not understand dinosaurs I like it much more than its mapusaurus that although it is a good figure I see it with little volume.

Reptilia

For me this time Collecta is a mixed bag, still a very good line-up but not as strong as the previous one. I don't really like their neo punk Tyrannosaurus, definitely not an improvement over the 2015 fully feathered version. Then that almost starving, gregpaulesque Mapusaurus isn't any good either. Should have been way more bulky. I don't really care for the Gomphotherium, Sciurumimus and Mantellisaurus, although I can't say they are bad models, just not my thing.

At midway there are Dimetrodon and Estemmenosuchus. I really wanted Collecta to make the former and I think it's been a brilliant move to make the latter, both excellent sculpts that could have benefitted of better colour schemes. The Dimetrodon in particular, I wish it had an harmonic pattern instead of that random splash thing. The Estemmenosuchus simply didn't need those brown stains all over the body.

And then there are the good ones, which actually are very good ones. Dunkleosteus, Iguanodon, Brontosaurus and Ceratosaurus are exceptional, all in the same category of the Kronosaurus and the Styracosaurus released this year. I think my favourites are the Brontosaurus - Safari should take note on how to make a sauropod - and the Ceratosaurus, which is great in all aspects. If you look for naturalistic and scientifically accurate models then look no further than Collecta.

Shonisaurus

My favorites are iguanodon and ceratosaurus, although the latter would deserve another more conservative and realistic painting treatment on the head. Anyway, these two figures are very coveted and cool.

The mapusaurus is an interesting figure in collecting but unfortunately it looks very voluminous. I like the brontosaurus more, although XL is apparently more voluminous. We will have to see more promotional figures we can not judge by a simple promotional photograph.

Anyway this year Collecta has made good figures comparable to previous years, what happens is that it is very premature and risky to judge the news of Collecta 2018 for mere promotional photos. Yes the tyrannosaurus rex feathered I think that in my case I will have to keep the support of the packaging because I am afraid that it will have the same balance problems as the feathered Tyrannosaurus rex of the Safari brand. That is one of my reasons why I prefer plastic bases in fixed theropods.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I'm definitely getting the Mantellisaurus. I already spent the last year going back and forth debating whether or not to buy the Safari Iguanodon and use it as a Mantellisaurus next to my Carnegie Iguanodon, but the head and arms were too obvious to me to justify it. So I'm definitely excited for this! I for one enjoy the color scheme too. I really hope this means more ornithopods in the future. I'm still holding out hope for a Lurdusaurus! A revamped Ouranosaurus would be nice too.

Neosodon

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on December 12, 2017, 02:04:59 AM
I'm definitely getting the Mantellisaurus. I already spent the last year going back and forth debating whether or not to buy the Safari Iguanodon and use it as a Mantellisaurus next to my Carnegie Iguanodon, but the head and arms were too obvious to me to justify it. So I'm definitely excited for this! I for one enjoy the color scheme too. I really hope this means more ornithopods in the future. I'm still holding out hope for a Lurdusaurus! A revamped Ouranosaurus would be nice too.
The WS Iguanadon is still a huge step up from the Carnegie. If you've really spent a year debating it I would recommend it unless the collecta one ends up being even better.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Neosodon on December 12, 2017, 03:42:29 AM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on December 12, 2017, 02:04:59 AM
The WS Iguanadon is still a huge step up from the Carnegie. If you've really spent a year debating it I would recommend it unless the collecta one ends up being even better.

I know, but I'm one of those 1:40 scale weirdos, so...  ;)
(Plus, I like the more muscular neck on the Carnegie version compared to the Safari version.)

UtahraptorFan

As probably all of us know, back in 2015, Emanuel Tschopp, Octavio Mateus, and Roger Benson released a report in which, among other findings, the diplodocid species with the species epithet, excelsus, was indeed different enough from Apatosaurus ajax to justify use of the genus, Brontosaurus. Next year, CollectA will release a figure of this sauropod.
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

Flaffy

Seems like a rather pointless thread

Simon

I hope they release it in a "Deluxe" size (Mr Beeson is certainly old enough to have affection for the critter!!!)

That would be a nice way for "Brontosaurus" to explode back onto the scene!

Shonisaurus

Anyway, although it is not a Deluxe size figure, that is, at 1:40 or 1:20 scale, it gives me the impression that it is a voluminous figure and that it will be included in Collecta's great quality parameters.

I understand that the brontosaurus is much better than the mapusaurus Deluxe from the same company Collecta that will also be commercialized in 2018. The mapusaurus I see it as a figure from my point of view or first sight as an amateur that I am to the Dinosaurs toys a bit unfinished and it seems quite bulky. And the same as I say Collecta I say to Papo, I hope that one day they will make a wonderful giganotosaurus as both companies know how to make it rival Safari for a pretty graphic example.

suspsy

We've all been aware of this Brontosaurus figure for weeks now. There's a thread dedicated to the 2018 CollectA line right here:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6187.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: