News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Simon on December 22, 2017, 04:48:55 PM
I hope they release it in a "Deluxe" size (Mr Beeson is certainly old enough to have affection for the critter!!!)

That would be a nice way for "Brontosaurus" to explode back onto the scene!

It's going to be 30cm long, so not very big at all (at least for a sauropod).

Reptilia

It can't be deluxe size, otherwise it'd be huge considering Collecta's exaggerated proportions with their bigger figures.

Mononykus

Now that I have some free time, I thought I would share my thoughts about the new upcoming Collectas (and hope that they will be easily available in the US).

Mantellisaurus - hooray, a new species. I have been examining various Iguanodon toys to see if they might make a good Mantellisaurus, but now I can get the actual animal. A decent sculpt, but I don't care for the paint. Basically, unfeathered dinosaurs shouldn't be green or blue. These are, with rare exceptions, structural colors in animals, which means that they can only be produced if the thickness of the skin is maintained within narrow tolerances (too thick, and more light scatters, appearing pale, too thin, and the base melanin layer absorbs most light and they look black). This thickness can be maintained in feathers or in squamate skin that is regularly shed, but likely thick-skinned dinosaurs wouldn't be able to produced such colors, and should be mostly melanin-based.

Sciurumimus - A great species choice (love small, obscure feathered dinosaurs), with a so-so sculpt (they made an animal that was both fluffy and shrink-wrapped). Overall proportions do seem to match the fossil, though. The color is a bit dull, but I perfer they err on this side than the usual ugly union jack colors we get from Collecta. I will definitely get this one.

Deluxe Iguanodon - Although this looks decent, I will stick with the Safari Iguanodon, mostly because as a Deluxe model it will be a bit too big for my taste (probably around 1/35 scale; their stated scale of "1/40" is nothing but a marketing gimmick and strikes me as false advertisement, as the deluxe models are rarely ever 1/40 scale (and if they are, it is likely just by accident).

Estemmenosuchus - Wow, I have wanted a decent model of this species for a long time. It looks a bit off, I think its neck is too long, but not bad overall. Contrary to what Everything Dinosaur stated, it represents E. mirabilis (not uralensis -- NEVER use scale to identify Collecta models) based on the head ornaments. The green color is unfortunate (see above), but not especially ugly. Probably around 1/15 scale. I believe this is Collecta's first non-mammalian Synapsid and Collecta's first Permian figure.

Dunkleosteus - Looks quite ugly, with all sorts of wierd bumps along the body. Also huge. I will not be getting this one.

Tyrannosaurus - They kept the worst parts of their feathered T.rex: the big feathery head crest and stupid colors. There are better Tyrannosaurs available (both feathered and unfeathered), so this holds no interest for me.

Mapusaurus - What a huge improvement over their previous version. The colors are rather subtle, too, for a change. I will definitely be upgrading my Mapusaurus with this one. I am a fan of bases for bipedal dinosaurs, so that helps too.

Brontosaurus - I suppose its a genus that hasn't been made in quite some time, but in fact most Apatosaurus models out there could easily stand in for this species (actually, most "Apatosaurus" models would not be suitable for any Apatosaurine dinosaur, but that's a different issue). Its not clear from the photo if the model is actually distinguishable from Apatosaurus. Apatosaurus should have a broader base of the neck (see the Papo for a good example), and this doesn't seem all that broad (in fact, it may not be squarish enough). Another possible external feature is the spacing of the paired spinous processes on the posterior cervical vertebrae, which should be closer together in Brontosaurus than in Apatosaurus, but it looks like these are not going to be visible on this model (not necessarily incorrect, since the area should be filled with muscle). Still, it looks like a decent model.

Ceratosaurus - a lovely sculpt marred by some really ugly face paint. The body paint isn't bad (although cryptic markins like spots should not be scaled up on big animals, since they replect a dappled environment). The head color is totally unsuitable for an animal that needs to stalk prey (and all predators want to get a close as they can to avoid expending energy running even if they can outrun their prey).

Dimetrodon - Another Permian Synapsid from Collecta! Although this one is a much more commonly represented species. Again color is Collecta's weakest aspect (see my diatribe against green above and the fact that camoflage color patterns should reflect enviornmental patterns, and thus be much smaller (think army uniforms scaled to the model's scale). It looks like it needs to be treated with an algicide. But the sculpt is really cool, with recently hypothesized features such as a more upright stance, exposed ends of the spines, and even some damage. Color (and moveable jaw) not withstanding, I will get this one given its "current hypothesis" representation.

Gomphotherium - this one looks a bit strange to me, especially the head, but I can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe better pictures will help. Not sure on this one.

Overall, quite a good year for Collecta (though not for whomever does their paint schemes), with three species not done as toys before, and some nice improvements to old favorites. The only real failure is the Dunkleosteus.

Takama

Quote from: Mononykus on December 24, 2017, 05:35:22 AM
Now that I have some free time, I thought I would share my thoughts about the new upcoming Collectas (and hope that they will be easily available in the US).

Mantellisaurus - hooray, a new species. I have been examining various Iguanodon toys to see if they might make a good Mantellisaurus, but now I can get the actual animal. A decent sculpt, but I don't care for the paint. Basically, unfeathered dinosaurs shouldn't be green or blue. These are, with rare exceptions, structural colors in animals, which means that they can only be produced if the thickness of the skin is maintained within narrow tolerances (too thick, and more light scatters, appearing pale, too thin, and the base melanin layer absorbs most light and they look black). This thickness can be maintained in feathers or in squamate skin that is regularly shed, but likely thick-skinned dinosaurs wouldn't be able to produced such colors, and should be mostly melanin-based.

Sciurumimus - A great species choice (love small, obscure feathered dinosaurs), with a so-so sculpt (they made an animal that was both fluffy and shrink-wrapped). Overall proportions do seem to match the fossil, though. The color is a bit dull, but I perfer they err on this side than the usual ugly union jack colors we get from Collecta. I will definitely get this one.

Deluxe Iguanodon - Although this looks decent, I will stick with the Safari Iguanodon, mostly because as a Deluxe model it will be a bit too big for my taste (probably around 1/35 scale; their stated scale of "1/40" is nothing but a marketing gimmick and strikes me as false advertisement, as the deluxe models are rarely ever 1/40 scale (and if they are, it is likely just by accident).

Thank you. Finally someone gets it

Shonisaurus

Members of the forum is already the catalog 2018 of Collecta I pass an address of the link to download it. The dimetrodon and the dunkleosteos look better in the new photos than in the promotional images.

http://www.collecta.biz/es/e-catalogue

http://www.collecta.biz/catalogue/files/assets/common/downloads/publication.pdf

Reptilia

Every time I go through the Collecta catalogue I can't help but wonder why they don't just axe all of their pre 2012 production? All of those early lackluster figures must be good sellers if they keep them going.

Ravonium

Quote from: Reptilia on December 26, 2017, 11:21:25 AM
Every time I go through the Collecta catalogue I can't help but wonder why they don't just axe all of their pre 2012 production? All of those early lackluster figures must be good sellers if they keep them going.

Because not a lot of the main consumer base of CollectA particularly care about how detailed or non-goofy those figures are. They just want a dinosaur they can play with.

I'm not trying to say that those early figures shouldn't be axed, but one thing many members here need to remember is that we only appear to be a large portion of the consumer base because of how vocal we are (mostly with this forum).

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Reptilia on December 26, 2017, 11:21:25 AM

I would like the figures before 2012 to be eliminated but it can not be done outright, it should be done little by little, that is to say in a staggered way, this will take at least a decade. There are even many children who for them these figures have a great acceptance as Ravonium said, children are the main consumers of dinosaur companies. We collectors although we are a relevant part of the collection of toy dinosaurs are not unfortunately the majority.

In that, from my point of view we must have everyone, including me, a little touch with the main consumers of dinosaur figures that are children, for them a toy that a collector seems irrelevant to a child means a treasure of value Incalculable not comparable to the best collections of dinosaurs.

terrorchicken

theyre already retiring some of them, though for some reason they are also retiring some of the more recent good ones too.

Reptilia

The swimming Spinosaurus and the deluxe feathered Tyrannosaurus that someone said were going to be retired are still in the 2018 catalogue though.

Ravonium

Quote from: Reptilia on December 26, 2017, 05:48:23 PM
The swimming Spinosaurus and the deluxe feathered Tyrannosaurus that someone said were going to be retired are still in the 2018 catalogue though.

So are the older Eustreptospondylus and Becklespinax figures, which were on the retirement list Takama posted.

If you want an explanation for that and what you mentioned, then look no further than this post by Everything Dinosaur:

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on November 25, 2017, 08:59:33 AMWith regards to the list of retired CollectA models that is currently circulating, Everything Dinosaur can confirm that a number of the models listed are due to be retired and are not in production.  Other models listed will appear in the CollectA 2018 catalogue and will be available as long as current stocks last.  As for the feathered T. rex (88838) Collect Deluxe 1:40 scale replica.  We can confirm that this model is not due for retirement, collectors and model fans will still be able to acquire this model along with the new roaring Tyrannosaurus rex Deluxe figure that we announced this morning on our blog site.  The feathered T. rex model's future (88838) will be decided once a review of the sales performance of this figure in 2018 has been undertaken.  We hope that this clarifies the situation.

suspsy

Damnation! CollectA still hasn't put on a base on the Rajasaurus!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Okay the Dunkleosteus does look better to me seeing it from the side. The Dimetrodon does too in that first image of it, if the green is really more of that color seen on the Estemmenosuchus, and not that odd lime color it was before. Further down in the catalogue it seems to be a little closer to that one seen in the pic higher up in the catalogue, but still lime like. Still will probably need to see it in in-hand pics or videos to be sure. It would be nice if the green really does match the green on the Estemmenosuchus though. Brontosaurus looks impressive too, although it did before as well, but interesting seeing it from the side.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sigmasaurus

Quote from: suspsy on December 26, 2017, 07:00:00 PM

I agree CollectA needs to put a base on that figure. It stands almost as badly as the Carnegie Giga.

suspsy

Quote from: SpinoLord on December 26, 2017, 08:40:34 PM
Quote from: suspsy on December 26, 2017, 07:00:00 PM

I agree CollectA needs to put a base on that figure. It stands almost as badly as the Carnegie Giga.

On the plus side, they've added a base to their Concavenator, so perhaps the Rajasaurus just needs another year.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lanthanotus

Haven't looked through all pages of this thread, but here's the download link to the CollectA catalogue for 2018 with given release dates, well, sort of: Mantellisaurus, Iguanodon, Dunkleosteus, Sciurumimus are to be released in "early 2018" whatever that means, the rest in "mid 2018".

The supposed models to be retired still appear in the catalogue (at least some of them, could not recall all from memory), so I'd guess they still are at least availabe troughout the comming year.

Joey

I think 'early 2018' means either late winter (Febuary) or early spring (March), and 'mid 2018' means in the summer (maybe June or July).

Reptilia

Thanks Ravonium, I didn't notice that post by ED.

Simon

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 26, 2017, 10:57:07 PM
Haven't looked through all pages of this thread, but here's the download link to the CollectA catalogue for 2018 with given release dates, well, sort of: Mantellisaurus, Iguanodon, Dunkleosteus, Sciurumimus are to be released in "early 2018" whatever that means, the rest in "mid 2018".

The supposed models to be retired still appear in the catalogue (at least some of them, could not recall all from memory), so I'd guess they still are at least availabe troughout the comming year.

Thanks for the link to the catalogue - very enjoyable to look through, and satisfying as it made me recall my prophecy, made on the pages of the former DTF in 2009, that Collecta would soon become the standard by which prehistoric figures would be judged.  If that hasn't exactly happened, its because Collecta's commitment to accuracy and a large number of releases per year has spurred the competition (Wild Safari, mainly) to "up its game" as well.  Mercifully, the misshapen creatures from Collecta's early days have disappeared from its new catalogue, for the most part ...

Oh, and PS - I am SO getting that beautiful new, large, Iguanodon to go along with my PNSO/Vitae 1/30 figures ... and perhaps a few more collecta herbivores from the "Deluxe" line as well ...  ;D ;D ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: