News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rarest Carnegies

Started by PaleoMatt, November 26, 2017, 01:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moodyraptor

Quote from: PhilSauria on December 07, 2017, 07:19:45 AM
Yeah, that is odd. Not sure why I drew a blank. Still says 'may not send to Aus', not getting the free postage. As I am about to head off to the airport guess I'll just have to leave it for another day and another search. Thanks though for following it up.

Here is another one in the US that does ship internationally https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carnegie-Collection-Safari-Ltd-Psittacosaurus-rare/112655374669?hash=item1a3ac8994d:g:IxUAAOSwvKtY~oXZ  :)

Irritation

This might be off-topic, but yesterday, I got the Deinosuchus for 3 dollars.
Definitely much cheaper than what it costs nowadays.

SidB

Good to hear that. Persistence often pays off - got mine for a dollar off eBay a while back.

alexeratops

I actually have two Deinosuchus if I remember correctly...
like a bantha!

Pachyallosaurus

Quote from: Joey on December 07, 2017, 05:59:56 AM
Quote from: PhilSauria on December 07, 2017, 03:16:09 AM
Well I've been trying to track down the Psittacosaurus without much success, so maybe by that criteria it could be added to the rare list. Came across one once in the last wave of searches but it was priced at more than I was prepared to pay. Haven't seen it since.
Here's one on Ebay with tag for a relatively low price:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Carnegie-Collection-Psittacosaurus-Dinosaur-1998-Safari-Ltd-NWT/192380900859?hash=item2ccacb95fb:g:5R4AAOSwRIRZgPW6
I was actually looking at this one too. Hope to buy it as soon as I get more eBay gift card money.

DC

Interesting questions hardest to find now are the 1988 original painted. They lack the varnish that was used later and many had a gold patina.  I have some but not all been keeping an eye out for the Allosaurus.
There were a couple of models that were in production for short periods the Psitacosaurus, Sinraptor and Styracosaurus come to mind.  They did show up on eBay cheap in lots because they sold poorly and retailers wanted to get rid of them.  I had the feeling that Camasasurus was not that big a seller either although a favorite of mine.  The mammals did not seem that popular I have seen a lot people hunting for the Austopithicus family and Smilodon to complete their sets. The lower the sales the smaller the production.
The other category is the very small figures like Dimetrodon and the Deinonychus pack. They are easy to lose.
Usually large figure are rare too, their seem to be plenty of Brachiosaurus and Apatosaurus around.  If you are looking for all the mold changes and there were several with both these figures it gets tricky Fred Snyder has been tracking down the details of the undocumented changes to these molds. 
You can never have too many dinosaurs

SidB

DC, I just gave away my extra original, greyish Allosaurus - wish I'd known that you were hunting for one!
By the way, did Fred Snyder release his findings on a comprehensive list of Carnegie variants? Every time that I think that I'm "there," I find out there's one or more left to acquire, it seems.

DC

Darn would have liked to get the original first release Allosaurus the later ones seemed to have had a lot of mold fatigue and I was never sure what the original was intended to look like. Fred has shared a lot of information via email and I need to add it the site.  I suspect that originally Carnegie did not want to let people know they we remaking changes so the info was never tracked.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.