News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Story-Writing Help Thread

Started by Papi-Anon, November 29, 2017, 03:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papi-Anon

In general, if you need critiques or need some ideas thrown at you for inspiration, that's the point of this thread (not just for me).

So I'll start with some help I need in patching up some plot-holes in a story I've been slowly working on that's paleo-fiction.

-Plot-Hole #1:
As I understand it, most of the 'new' fossils exhibited in museums these days are resin copies with the actual specimens locked away safe for studying. In my story, however, it's crucial that a legitimate specimen (a nearly complete, articulated allosauroid skeleton) is featured in a new museum that the climax happens in. I'm not too versed in how museums work, but is there a way to make this hypothetically happen in a modern (c.2015) setting?

-Plot-Hole #2:
About how accurate was WWD's depiction of the K-Pg Extinction event? Would a blastwave of hot wind and dust reach as far as Alberta, Canada? If so, how long after the bollide impact in the Yucatán would it take to even reach that far north?
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

stargatedalek

An articulated real skeleton wouldn't likely be displayed in public, if even assembled at all. But it's not impossible for one to be assembled in a controlled environment to visualize the articulation, say a backroom, or even a sealed off event hall if space demanded it.

Halichoeres

There are plenty of real fossils on display in museums. Some of them are even holotypes. Depends on the museum, of course. Smaller museums are likely to have mostly casts, but for example most of the Sue display at the Field Museum is the actual fossils. When the dinosaur curator wanted to do histology scans on the arm, it had to be taken off display for the purpose. The head is housed separately because of its weight (a lightweight cast of the head is attached to the mount), but even the head is still on public display. Your allosauroid is perfectly reasonable.

I dunno about #2.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ZoPteryx

#1:  The Museum of the Rockies has a mostly complete Tyrannosaurus fully mounted, so definitely possible to have a big mounted theropod composed of real bones.

#2:  Good question.  Shockwaves would have certainly made it that far, but I'm not sure about the blast wave of debris.  Most models seem to show an impact trajectory toward North America, so I guess it's possible.  I think the main thing WWD got wrong in that scene was the timing, the blast wave probably would've taken a bit longer to reach the episode's location.

If you haven't already read this post by Andrea Cau about the iconography of the K/Pg impact, I highly recommend it.  :)
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//theropoda.blogspot.com/2017/08/miti-e-leggende-post-moderne-sui.html&hl=en&langpair=it|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.