News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I

Papo 2019 Hopes & Dreams

Started by indominus, December 20, 2017, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Now that Stygimoloch is getting a star turn in a JP/JW movie, I think we can count on one from Papo before too long.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

A stygimoloch would be great is a dinosaur misrepresented by toy companies.

With that and a giganotosaurus it would be great. I get the impression that if Papo makes a giganotosaurus it will be gorgeus

Jose S.M.

They already have Carnotaurus and Baryonyx, which are the new big predators in fallen kingdom, I guess this leaves Stiggy as the most likely candidate for JW inspired figure, others are kind of obscure like Metriacanthosaurus, Sinoceratops (I would like that very much but don't see it happening) or Suchomimus, which is similar to Baryonyx so I  don't think they will make it soon.

Syndicate Bias

Don't you worry. Rebor will be the first to make the jw baryonyx and allosaurus and revamped carno

Reptilia

I'm sure a JW Baryonyx by Rebor would be great. And yeah, a Stygimoloch by Papo would be nice too, as long as they don't give it an articulated jaw.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Reptilia on April 18, 2018, 02:18:58 PM
I'm sure a JW Baryonyx by Rebor would be great. And yeah, a Stygimoloch by Papo would be nice too, as long as they don't give it an articulated jaw.

I sincerely understand that it is a mistake that the herbivorous and omnivorous dinosaurs endow them with some toy companies such as Papo with articulated jaws such as iguanodon or therizinosaurus.

Honestly I am not an enthusiastic follower of articulated jaws even in theropods like the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Atokensis

I'd love to see a Stygimoloch by papo eventually (hopefully it wouldn't look like the Armagasaurus or have an articulated jaw).

Cretaceous Crab

In response to JWFK, I predict that Papo will put out a Stygimoloch, a Sinoceratops, and likely some theropod that loosely resembles the Indoraptor.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: LeviRawl on April 29, 2018, 10:43:23 PM
In response to JWFK, I predict that Papo will put out a Stygimoloch, a Sinoceratops, and likely some theropod that loosely resembles the Indoraptor.

That would be great. I like those dinosaurs a lot, especially the rare cerastosides like the sinoceratops (I wish it were made in an acceptable size), the stygimoloch (since I have Geoworld does not convince me much) and the Indoraptor. It would be great.

On the other hand I honestly do not dislike "nonexistent movie dinosaurs" like the Indoraptor, Indomimus rex or the Vastatosaurus, I know they are not real versions but I'm interested in all kinds of prehistoric animals and I'm even beginning to be interested in dragons, made in antiquity the remains of dinosaurs were called "dragon bones".

Reptilia

Sounds unlikely, in my opinion. As far as we know Sinoceratops won't have a prominent role in the movie, while a black theropod would be too blatant of a reference. Then the only option for them would be a big scaly dromaeosaur, and I believe Papo has left behind this type of representation since they unleashed their feathered Velociraptor a couple of years ago. Stygimoloch though is a candidate, although I would like more them to make a great marine reptile eventually, and the JW Mosasaurus fits just perfectly Papo's style.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Reptilia on April 30, 2018, 01:46:57 PM

Sounds unlikely, in my opinion. As far as we know Sinoceratops won't have a prominent role in the movie, while a black theropod would be too blatant of a reference. Then the only option for them would be a big scaly dromaeosaur, and I believe Papo has left behind this type of representation since they unleashed their feathered Velociraptor a couple of years ago. Stygimoloch though is a candidate, although I would like more them to make a great marine reptile eventually, and the JW Mosasaurus fits just perfectly Papo's style.

I only said that because unless they revamp or actually release a revised version of the other species, such as Triceratops, stegosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Apatosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Raptors, Spinosaurus ( unlikely since they just decided to release an equally inaccurate juvenile figure)... just to name a few, they tend to gravitate to stylize their figures after some existing franchise. Other examples would include the compsognathus and Iguanodon released this year.

But I forgot about marine species. A revamped Mosasaur would certainly be welcome to their line!

Mini Minmi

I'm hoping for nice small animals to give my wallet a rest. :p
Papo has been releasing great but large animals that cost a fortune. I'd love some smaller more affordable pieces. Maybe a protoceratops or a psittacosaurus? Or a yi qi.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on April 17, 2018, 07:56:13 PM
Don't you worry. Rebor will be the first to make the jw baryonyx and allosaurus and revamped carno

I doubt it. They were super hyped about the JW Mosasaurus but then never released a Mosa.

tanystropheus

Quote from: terrorchicken on April 05, 2018, 06:31:10 PM
I dont think the Papo amargasaurus would be so bad if theyd just fix the sail. The sail is what makes it look chinasaur-tier to me.

I wonder how accurate the skull is.

Reptilia

I think the head is too big and the neck too short. Basically wrong proportions overall. That figure isn't redeemable simply because everyone can imagine how it would have looked like if sculpted by the right person.

Shadowknight1

I hope that Papo will do a Stygimoloch.  I don't care that it's apparently a juvenile Pachycephalosaurus, I love the way Stygimoloch looks.  Plus it has a really cool name.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 01, 2018, 12:12:51 AM
I hope that Papo will do a Stygimoloch.  I don't care that it's apparently a juvenile Pachycephalosaurus, I love the way Stygimoloch looks.  Plus it has a really cool name.

What I have never understood is why they are called certain prehistoric animals and especially dinosaurs by scientists with terrible names, for example the stygimoloch, diabloceratops or charonosaurus for example. They are associated with demons or hell or infernal deities.

Although there are dinosaurs like the miragaia whose name is positive there are a large number of dinosaurs that are given a name as I say apocalyptic.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 01, 2018, 09:37:18 AM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 01, 2018, 12:12:51 AM

What I have never understood is why they are called certain prehistoric animals and especially dinosaurs by scientists with terrible names, for example the stygimoloch, diabloceratops or charonosaurus for example. They are associated with demons or hell or infernal deities.

It's quite simple really. The skulls remind them of depictions of either dragons or horned demons.

Look how outrageous the skull of Diabloceratops appears!

https://archosaurmusings.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/guest-post-presenting-diabloceratops-eatoni/

Now, check out a variant version of Hellboy's horns (the version that isn't bossed)

https://mojette.deviantart.com/art/Hellboy-2013-427785140

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 17, 2018, 03:03:38 PM

Well, Dracorex hogwartsia is associated with Harry Potter - "the dragon king of Hogwarts"

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 01, 2018, 10:18:09 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 17, 2018, 03:03:38 PM

Well, Dracorex hogwartsia is associated with Harry Potter - "the dragon king of Hogwarts"

It would be really awesome if a company (Papo or any other) would make a set of the growth stages of Pachycephalosaurus, including Stygimoloch and Dracorex. I don't really expect something like that to ever happen, but it would be really cool.  :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: