News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Vandals destroy dinosaur footprint

Started by dragon53, December 21, 2017, 12:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrritatorRaji

This angers me so much, I really just can't put it into words. This foot print survived for 115 million years, it was around when the dinosaurs were wiped out and it was around when mammals ruled the earth, only for a bunch of morons to come around and smash it with a hammer. Ugggh, God it makes me angry...

amargasaurus cazaui

Hopefully now they will take steps to enclose, or seal off the area so that no future harm can be done to the remaining treasures. Sad day for paleontology
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Syndicate Bias

I was there when it happened, damn aussies!

laticauda

What some people do for their own personal greed is disturbing. 

Neosodon

You think fossils would be the one thing all humans could cherish. But there will always be the one scumbag. >:(

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Ravonium

Why exactly does anyone think it's a good idea to expose important dinosaur fossils to the public?

Quote from: Neosodon on December 21, 2017, 07:50:38 AM
You think fossils would be the one thing all humans could cherish. But there will always be the one scumbag. >:(

I'm afraid fossils are far from a thing everyone cherishes.

Quote from: laticauda on December 21, 2017, 04:48:14 AM
What some people do for their own personal greed is disturbing. 

I wouldn't say own personal greed is the most likely reason for this. That would be a reason to steal the fossil. I personally think the vandal did it because they wanted to sound cool amongst their friends (who could, but are unlikely to be, religious nutcases).

CityRaptor

Could also have been the work of religious nutcases. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 21, 2017, 09:03:00 AM
Wouldn't be shocking, or just a bunch of idiots/jerks, though they aren't too different.

Ravonium

Or the idiots/jerks/'cool' friends could have also been religious nutcases.

Loon

Quote from: Ravonium on December 21, 2017, 09:18:42 AM
Or the idiots/jerks/'cool' friends could have also been religious nutcases.
The plot thickens...

tyrantqueen

tanystropheus

Maybe the culprit just hates theropods!

gursar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 21, 2017, 10:08:12 AM

Or godless nihilists.
:)) there's nothing to be afraid of nihilists unless your name is Lebowski  :))

stargatedalek

Quote from: Ravonium on December 21, 2017, 08:38:48 AM
Why exactly does anyone think it's a good idea to expose important dinosaur fossils to the public?
Exactly this. Frankly it's a miracle this didn't happen sooner. I'm all for (monitored) public display of important artifacts but there needs to be control in place. Hey for all we know next year it was going to be destroyed by accident, or by a storm, vandals are just one of many reasons why important things are better kept indoors and behind glass.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 21, 2017, 10:08:12 AM

Or godless nihilists.
Was that really necessary? I'm sorry that you were offended, but don't try to derail this into a fight.

There is no reason that you should feel personally attacked when someone suggests that something bad might have happened because of religious influences.

The suggestion that it may have been someone acting out of religious reasons is not without merit. There are a lot of people who quite publicly attack paleontology, claiming that dinosaurs are a hoax or a test from a god. I've even seen particularly depraved individuals unironically claim that feathered dinosaurs are fakes created by "the Chinese" to try and prove evolution and turn Americans into Satanists.

No one knows, and it's likely no one ever will know, who destroyed the footprint or why.

suspsy

Nothing humanity does surprises me.

It often disgusts me though.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tyrantqueen

QuoteWas that really necessary? I'm sorry that you were offended, but don't try to derail this into a fight.

There is no reason that you should feel personally attacked when someone suggests that something bad might have happened because of religious influences.

The suggestion that it may have been someone acting out of religious reasons is not without merit. There are a lot of people who quite publicly attack paleontology, claiming that dinosaurs are a hoax or a test from a god. I've even seen particularly depraved individuals unironically claim that feathered dinosaurs are fakes created by "the Chinese" to try and prove evolution and turn Americans into Satanists.

No one knows, and it's likely no one ever will know, who destroyed the footprint or why.

There's no reason why you should feel personally attacked when someone suggests that something bad might have happened because of non religious influences. People can use any excuse to cause destruction and hurt others. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't also destroy the footprints- if they are nihilists, why would they care about preserving fossils? Why should they care about preserving something for future generations to enjoy?

When I say godless nihilist, I am not using it as an insult. There are some people who genuinely are nihilists and don't believe in a god. Which is fair enough for them, it's their lives and they can live it however they wish.

I have never heard any Christian talk about fossils being a test from God or whatever- it must be an American thing. There is one particular religious group that has been destroying historical artifacts, and it isn't Christians (hint, that group's name begins with a "I") But I don't think you would ever, ever criticise them.

DinoToyForum

Everyone, please stop bringing religion into this. It is needless and against the forum rules. C:-)

stargatedalek

Since I was personally accused of supporting Isil (which, how exactly have I done that?) I feel like I really have to respond here. I'm sorry for dragging this out, but I can't let something so ludicrous sit around in full view unchallenged. A serious accusation like this, regardless of context, needs to be put to rest.

I don't condone the actions of any radical terrorist group that knowingly causes harm and acts outside of legal authority, whether that's Isil, the Westboro baptists, the KKK, or Greenpeace.

Loon

Agree with stargatedalek here, I don't like any form of religious terrorism, or any form of terrorism either, for that matter.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: