News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Salavaging books for backdrops

Started by Lanthanotus, December 29, 2017, 04:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Just wanted to share this cheap but effective idea....

Few months ago I deemd a very precious book of mine lost (Spinar/Burian) and so I ordered another copy. Turned out - of course - I had stored in in a place and forgot about it, but well, got two copies laying around. As the original one was in quite used condition, I had the plan to cut out the fine paintings and make a collage from them with the classical timeline from the very beginnings of life to our direct ancestors. By while cutting out the images I got another idea. With lots of double sided landscape images I deceided to use those as backdrops for my cabinet and/or photos, the smaller images I cut into same format and made a hand stitched/glued picture book for my son.

These are the double sided panoramas I salvaged, three are backdrops in my cabinet now, some others are used for reviews or photos. Will add a shot of the cabinet once the daylight is back, artificial lighting is bad here :D

ceratopsian

That is a very effective idea.  I have a print by Mark Witton (on board) that I have propped up at the back of one of my shelves in a similar way.  I tried to do the same with a PNSO print but it's not strong enough to stand without help - I would need to Blutak it into place.  I'm still thinking of framing it instead!  Neither of mine is as good for landscape as your book panoramas.

Lanthanotus

Yeah, unfortunately prehistoric landscape painting is by no way as popular as painting dinosaurs or other wildlife. The book just shows a part of Burian's work, it's nowhere near a complete compendium and there were lot's of other small landscape images in it that are part of way bigger originals.

ceratopsian

I suppose it is the same sort of thing that we see with model trees. I like having them standing amongst my model animals because it creates an illusion of context.  But model trees are not so easy to find.

Lanthanotus

So here's what it looks like now.... the backdrops don't fill the whole back, but that's okay. I guess if I use them to copy the result would still be better than from internet picture prints.

Reptilia

It turned out pretty nice, great idea!

CityRaptor

That works pretty well. Personally I planned to use the backgrounds that came with those:

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

@CityRaptor: obviously much more realistic.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

Depends on. The Action Sets of course have drawn rather than painted backgrounds and are a bit more cartoony than Burian's paintings, but they are designed to function as dioramas, coming with a floor as well. Indeed all the books I've shown are designed as for that.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

bmathison1972

I have thought about something similar. I have thought about making custom bases for my arthropod figures, and then having a slot in the back where a picture (or postcard) can be placed for background imagery. These bases would be used for photographing for the forums.

Pachyrhinosaurus

They look really great! I wouldn't mind the background not filling the entire space-- the mammal hall at the USNM has had a similar design and I think it works really well.

If I could paint like that I'd do the same, seeing as aquarium backgrounds tend to use photos and look pretty bad/cheap. These illustrations, however, fit well with the figures.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.