News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Is Shapeways a dead end?

Started by Tim, January 03, 2018, 03:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katieraptor

Quote from: SyndicateBias on January 25, 2018, 07:57:22 PM
bought a carcha from there. was kinda expensive for the size and detail and the fact that it was hollow (didn't know much about 3d printing until now) kinda gave me a distaste for it. cant say id recommend it but that's up to you

Oh they are hollow? Yikes.
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

ITdactyl

Quote from: Katieraptor on January 26, 2018, 12:16:49 AM

It's so they'd use less materials.  It doesn't make the product flimsy at all (and won't shatter like a teapot even when dropped), but it will make them feel lighter than a similarly sized toy.

I can say from experience that it takes a great deal of abuse to damage these figures - and I speak from experience.  I previously shared that a group of visiting kids played (quite roughly) with my collection.  Little details like fingers and tail tips broke off, but just because they were bashing the figures against other toys or the floor.  The hollow rib cage of my stegosaurus did crack, but only because a kid jumped on it. 

It's sad that some of our favorite artists have stopped uploading models (and some have been taken out of Shapeways), but there are still a lot of nice models available.  The hype is dead, but I think Shapeways remains a valid option.  Who knows, maybe other budding artists here will consider using Shapeways as their training ground again before they go pro.

Patrx

I like all the Shapeways stuff I've gotten over the years; they're fun to paint, and it's been an effective way to find models of obscure animals or ones that toy companies don't want to bother with. All of the figures I've gotten are indeed surprisingly durable, too.

Katieraptor

Quote from: ITdactyl on January 26, 2018, 10:45:00 PM
Quote from: Katieraptor on January 26, 2018, 12:16:49 AM

It's so they'd use less materials.  It doesn't make the product flimsy at all (and won't shatter like a teapot even when dropped), but it will make them feel lighter than a similarly sized toy.

I can say from experience that it takes a great deal of abuse to damage these figures - and I speak from experience.  I previously shared that a group of visiting kids played (quite roughly) with my collection.  Little details like fingers and tail tips broke off, but just because they were bashing the figures against other toys or the floor.  The hollow rib cage of my stegosaurus did crack, but only because a kid jumped on it. 

It's sad that some of our favorite artists have stopped uploading models (and some have been taken out of Shapeways), but there are still a lot of nice models available.  The hype is dead, but I think Shapeways remains a valid option.  Who knows, maybe other budding artists here will consider using Shapeways as their training ground again before they go pro.

Any models I need to check out?
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

ITdactyl

Quote from: Katieraptor on January 26, 2018, 11:23:14 PM
Any models I need to check out?

Sorry for the late reply @Katieraptor.  I don't have a particular model that I'd recommend, but here's my usual window shopping list:

1. Hadrosaurs by 3D Creatures (Angie Rodrigues):  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dcreatures?li=pb
2. Aaron Doyle has a nice variety of creatures at Mesozoic Miniatures (and an awesome deinonychus):  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/artofaarondoyle?li=pb
3. Manuel Bejarano has a great variety of creatures at different scales:  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/mbcreations?li=pb
4. David Krentz has highly detailed models: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/krentz?li=pb
5. Fabrizio de Rossi has some nice models (though some were removed).  I believe he's also willing to take projects through his Patreon.  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/fabricious?li=pb
6. Jin Kyeom Kim has a nice selection at VITAMIN IMAGINATION and is an active member of the forum (so you can message for modifications etc.):  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/jinkyeom?li=pb
7. Galileo Hernandez has both JP and realistic models: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/gnmodels?li=pb
8. Kevin DeCoster has JP inspired dinos:  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kdecoster?li=pb
9. If you're up for stylized creatures in dramatic poses, RareBreed has them:  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rarebreed?li=pb

Checking Shapeways, there seems to be more options (mostly of the JP variety), but I've had prints from the 9 listed so I can vouch for them.

One note for Shapeways models though; a lot of the figures are meant to be printed in the larger sizes (say 1/40 scale).  They don't print well in the smaller scale (i.e. the general shape of the animal might be printed, but details like the eyes etc. will be lost).  Some artists like David Krentz and Manuel Bejerano made separate models for the different scales to address this problem.  I haven't tried all of them though.

paintingdinos

Can't forget Andrew Sides' (gorgonzola) excellent models: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/gorgonzola

I've purchased prints from Sides, Krentz, and RareBreed and have really like everything I've received thus far.

I have things in varying scale, and the detail is pretty amazing regardless of scale, IF you print in FUD (more expensive). Even the tiny little Krentz generic raptor pack looks pretty darn good, considering how tiny they are. If you want smaller stuff, for sure go FUD. Larger things usually turn out pretty good in WSF- the RareBreed raptor pack and the 1/72 Paras from Sides all came out looking great in this material.

ceratopsian

Quote from: paintingdinos on January 28, 2018, 03:50:50 AM
Can't forget Andrew Sides' (gorgonzola) excellent models: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/gorgonzola

I've purchased prints from Sides, Krentz, and RareBreed and have really like everything I've received thus far.

I have things in varying scale, and the detail is pretty amazing regardless of scale, IF you print in FUD (more expensive). Even the tiny little Krentz generic raptor pack looks pretty darn good, considering how tiny they are. If you want smaller stuff, for sure go FUD. Larger things usually turn out pretty good in WSF- the RareBreed raptor pack and the 1/72 Paras from Sides all came out looking great in this material.

The Paras look tempting.  I would love a herd of these in those different postures.  Not something you could get any other way I would think.  I would love to see a photo of your Paras.

ITdactyl

Gaaaaahhhh!!!!  I hope Andrew forgives my miss.... to think I have his Cryos cooing on an old stereo.  Thanks for the save @paintingdinos  ;D

tyrantqueen

I really miss fabricious' work, especially his theropods. I owned his Albertosaurus (?), it was gorgeous. I assume real life got in the way or maybe it just wasn't profitable enough to be worth his time to continue to make stuff.

Dinoreplicas

I'm hoping to try a few dinosaur life restorations this year but I want to revamp my rex skull first.

Although I've had some sales I'd prefer to move away from Shapeways entirely because of the high base price.
I can't afford a 3D printer at the moment and I've heard resin casting can also be quite expensive.

paintingdinos

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 28, 2018, 10:14:46 AM
The Paras look tempting.  I would love a herd of these in those different postures.  Not something you could get any other way I would think.  I would love to see a photo of your Paras.

I tried to get a few good pics for you. My phone camera doesn't do them justice, but even with crummy photography I think some of the finer details can be seen:

(Comparison with one of the 1/72 Cryo, which is in FUD)

These guys and the Cryos are up next for a paint job, pending some good priming weather  >:D

ceratopsian

Thank you - they really do look very good.  The cogs in my brain are turning here as I imagine them on a Martin Garratt base!  As your group shows, you don't need half a dozen to get a good group effect.  I look forward very much to seeing what they look like after painting.

Quote from: paintingdinos on January 28, 2018, 02:51:51 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on January 28, 2018, 10:14:46 AM

I tried to get a few good pics for you. My phone camera doesn't do them justice, but even with crummy photography I think some of the finer details can be seen:

These guys and the Cryos are up next for a paint job, pending some good priming weather  >:D

ITdactyl

@Tyrantqueen, nice.  You got the 1/40 albertosaurus.

Mine is just in 1/72 scale, so most of the feather detail as well as the line of the mouth (and most of the teeth) are missing.  Surprisingly, the eyes printed well. Thanks for the reference pic.  This'll help me a lot when I get to painting my copy.

As for fabricious, I didn't pry but based on our last conversation it seemed to be the 2nd item you listed.  He did upload 2 new dinos and a plesiosaur [relatively] recently.  I believe he's currently working on a kentro (not sure if that'll be made available on shapeways, or just for his supporters at Patreon).

Syndicate Bias

look tyrannotitan, obscure but only one is made and it kinda looks off but ill leave up to you

ITdactyl

...and then David Krentz announces that he's updating his shapeways Rex....

yep, that just happened.

tyrantqueen

Here is the new T. rex. I hope he thickens up the lower legs in particular, they were very skinny on the old model.

paintingdinos

Mmmm, I'm liking the look of the updated model thus far... fingers crossed Mr. Krentz has time to produce some more shapeways offerings.

ITdactyl

Seem's David Krentz is still fine tuning his updated Tyrannosaurus.  The latest update (with the scars) looks really nice.

There also seems to be a new artist named Jacob Baardse who just uploaded nice models (IMO) of Acrocanthosaurus and Carnotaurus (for Shapeways).  I wonder if he's a member here.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.