News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Is Shapeways a dead end?

Started by Tim, January 03, 2018, 03:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

As someone new to collecting, Shapeways is intriguing to me.  I can get items at a scale I have the space for (1/72) and the ability to paint them however I wish.

But it doesn't seem as if the majority of sculptors use the site anymore.  With several animals still missing from this scale (Triceratops, Ankylosaurus amongst others) is Shapeways no longer an option?

Thanks for your thoughts
Tim

paintingdinos

I don't think its a dead end necessarily, there are still artists who upload designs (VITAMIN IMAGINATION is a forum poster to regularly uploads designs, for example).

But as I understand it, the artist takes a very small cut from each sale (low incentive to create new content). Add that to the already high cost of printing, and its just not very affordable compared to buying a toy or even a resin kit.

Still, at least for me, there are some must-have models that can only be purchased there. Is there a particular artist you are wanting to see these models from? If they have the model in a different scale, maybe you could contact and see if they will adjust for you.

stargatedalek

Honestly, if you want any serious number of 3D printed models you will save a lot of money buying your own printer. Shapeways prices are obscene, even by resin printer standards (FDM gives similar [and often more durable] results for far less cost).

ITdactyl

Is it a dead end?  For the artist, probably.  In the conversations I've had with some of the artists who produced dinosaur figures, it wasn't really a good way to turn in profits and they moved on to other outlets.

The case might not be the same for a collector.  There are a lot of 1/72 prehistoric figures available.  I did miss out on Fabrizio's 1/72 Triceratops before it was removed.  But there are still other interesting figures there, and as previously mentioned, some artists like Vitamin Imagination and Rarebreed are still producing new kits from time to time.

Shapeways does have regular sales (10-15% off + free shipping) twice a year, so if the costs are prohibitive, just wait for those.  That's black Friday and another usually around April or May.

On a personal note, I'm still saving up for Vitamin Imagination's Alamosaurus.

Fenestra

I think the idea of buying 3D products from artists is fantastic.
I've bought a couple of figures from Shapeways over the years and must say that I'm satisfied with the quality of them.
I do however feel like a guinea-pig sometimes. You don't really know what you are getting.
And for the hefty prices you are paying sometimes, you really don't want to be surprised.

For example: last item I bought from Shapeways was a Carnotaurus labeled as 1:36 scale.
I only collect 1:30 - 1:35 scale, so I was hugely dissapointed when the Carnotaurus arrived it was closer to 1:45 scale.
Now I'm stuck with an very expensive piece I have no real use for.  :-\

MIXVS MINIMAX

Indeed - there is some kind of resignation due to offers of creatures in 1/72 (not only) at shapeways.
Also David Krentz has stopped sculpting. But he offers Triceratops in 1/72 and Ankylosaurus unfortunately only in 1/144.
My production line (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1335.0) seems to be the last being aktive in 1/72.

paintingdinos

Quote from: MIXVS MINIMAX on January 03, 2018, 06:43:02 PM
Indeed - there is some kind of resignation due to offers of creatures in 1/72 (not only) at shapeways.
Also David Krentz has stopped sculpting. But he offers Triceratops in 1/72 and Ankylosaurus unfortunately only in 1/144.
My production line (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1335.0) seems to be the last being aktive in 1/72.

Is that universal, or just for shapeways? Is he still casting his resin stuff?

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: paintingdinos on January 03, 2018, 06:51:17 PM

Is that universal, or just for shapeways? Is he still casting his resin stuff?

Not sure if he's still casting his other kits but I heard he might bring back his Rex Mundi.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

MIXVS MINIMAX

I just meant that he obviously stopped sculpting by hand or CAD.

postsaurischian

There's the wonderful Antediluvia Collection 1:72 Saichania which I can recommend - as with the whole series, which is the greatest 1:72 Dinosaur series I know of.
For me there's no need for Shapeways in this category.

Tim

Antediluvian is no longer available.  Dan's Dinosaurs told me most of the molds are no longer usable and a chunk of the items are discontinued.

postsaurischian

That's a pity! Dan should mark them as "out of stock" then.
Urzeitshop also stopped selling them. I'm glad I have them all.

paintingdinos

Quote from: Tim on January 03, 2018, 10:28:20 PM
Antediluvian is no longer available.  Dan's Dinosaurs told me most of the molds are no longer usable and a chunk of the items are discontinued.

Oh no :(

I've been wanting a few of these for a while, but put them off due to other projects. I'll have to email and see if there's anything left... I'll kick myself if they're completely retired.

Tim

I know the two sauropods are gone; if I remember right he said they were inspecting a lot of the other molds and that it was up to Mr Krentz to have new molds made.

MIXVS MINIMAX

For my own purpose ;) :

The following models are avaiable in my 1/72 series:

1st row: (from left) Velociraptor, Conchoraptor, Caudipteryx, Coelophysis, Mononykus, Protoceratops,
2nd row: Dracorex, Deinonychus, Stygimoloch, Kelenken
3rd row: Pteranodon , Coelodonta, Placerias, Gallimimus
4th row: Quetzalcoatlus, Mammuthus, Therizinosaurus
5th row: Stegosaurus, Giraffatitan (both in progress)

Stegosaurus will be rebuild to Huayangosaurus. Supersaurus will be my second Sauropod.
Microraptor and Epidexipteryx (both coming soon) will be the next items.
Furthermore I am planning to scuplt an Ankylosaurid, Nodosaurid, Psittacosaurus, Hypsilyphodon, Minmi and some more.

ITdactyl

I will [highly] recommend MIXVS MINIMAX as an alternative to shapeways.  I have 2 of his pterosaurs (the Pteranodon and Quetzalcoatlus) and the level of detail is amazing.  I'm taking my time painting both since I don't want any of the details to be lost under paint.

The level of details beats a shapeways figure in the same scale (this is not a riff on shapeways artists, but an objective observation.  The limitations of 3d printing technology causes some small details of the 3d sculpt to be lost).

The big advantage of a shapeways figure over [most] resin figures on this scale is that a shapeways figure can be produced as one piece.  Assembling the figs from Mixvs Minimax was a bit of a challenge due to my big hands.

It's good we have a lot of options though, and I'm glad to have met artists in this forum providing both resin and 3d printed figures.

Vitamin-Imagination

I have been actively uploading to SHAPEWAYS until last year. And here I printed my dinosaurs for about $ 4,000.
And I have not been active since last year.

In the past, 3D printing was a new technology. But with the advancement of technology, the price of 3D printers has become cheaper.
In the meantime, better techniques(SLA/DLP) have been developed to make figures than SHAPEWAYS technology (SLS).
So the quality of the figures made by individuals on 3D printers has improved and the prices have become cheaper.

I also experienced these things. So I buy 3D printers nowadays and produce the products directly to the dinosaur figures.

In conclusion, SHAPEWAYS is now a good custom market for dinosaur figures, but it is becoming a poor quality and expensive figure market.

tyrantqueen

I enjoy Shapeways but I'll say this.

Most artists don't stick around. It seems to be something they try out, and become disenfranchised with quickly. Two of my favourites, Aaron Doyle and David Krentz, haven't uploaded anything in years. I can't really blame them, since it's a lot of work with little payoff.

Katieraptor

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 24, 2018, 02:20:17 PM
I enjoy Shapeways but I'll say this.

Most artists don't stick around. It seems to be something they try out, and become disenfranchised with quickly. Two of my favourites, Aaron Doyle and David Krentz, haven't uploaded anything in years. I can't really blame them, since it's a lot of work with little payoff.

Are the models by such artists still available though? If so it seems a good way to grow a collection still.
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

Syndicate Bias

bought a carcha from there. was kinda expensive for the size and detail and the fact that it was hollow (didn't know much about 3d printing until now) kinda gave me a distaste for it. cant say id recommend it but that's up to you

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: