News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS

Started by dragon53, January 12, 2018, 06:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

TRIVIA---in Ray Harryhausen's THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, the New York policeman who shoots the Rhedosaurus with his pistol and is then eaten, later reappears alive and shoots the Rhedosarus with a rifle.
Also, the Army sniper who kills the Rhedosaurus with a radioactive bullet is played by then-unknown Lee Van Cleef.

Lanthanotus

That reminds me to see that movie at least once, can't believe I haven't done yet. I also like to spot mistakes or find "familiar" faces in movies, thanks for the spoilers :)

WarrenJB

Quote from: dragon53 on January 12, 2018, 06:33:04 PM
Also, the Army sniper who kills the Rhedosaurus with a radioactive bullet is played by then-unknown Lee Van Cleef.

I'd know that nose anywhere! (Sergio did like his extreme closeups) It's as plain as... something or other.

dragon53

The Papo Rhedosaurus will be released in 2019 with the Papo Giganotosaurus. ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Reptilia

Had to check what a Rhedosaurus is, and I wouldn't mind Papo make one!

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 13, 2018, 04:48:54 AM
Schleich already made one :

That's a good one :D .... always asked myself what the sculptor of that abnormity intended.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Much like the Gwangi/ Harryhausen-like Acro :

Simon

OK.  I've been seeing this thread for three days now, and I can't hold back any longer.  ;)

Way back from 2007, here's what I consider to be my best kitbashed diorama customization - The Rhedosaurus from "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms", and custom-built diorama recreating the Light House scene.  More pictures are on my website (linked below my signature line):

Enjoy!  ;D ;D ;D

Lanthanotus

Very nice execution, I guess if the movie had been in technicolor, it would have been like that :D .... one thing is sure though, I wouldn't look as calm as those guys when I'd face such a monster - I guess that's true for the scene, the puny humans being right before the moment of enlightenment.

Reptilia

Looks fantastic Simon! Didn't know you were a sculptor, and such a talented one. Gonna check your website now.

PhilSauria

Yeah, don't hold back - great job and thanks for sharing. I grew up watching these films and creatures like this fed into and feuled my interest in Dinosaurs and all things prehistoric. Are there any colour pictures of the Rhedosaurus model? I have a couple of books on the work of Ray Harryhausen and every pic of it is in B&W, and it's generally green all over in what colour posters I've seen. This colour choice seems to suit though, countershading being a bit of a norm in animals.

dragon53

PHILSAURIA:

The official movie poster on the Blu-ray is probably the definitive source for the color of the Rhedosaurus.

Also, Eugene Lourie directed THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS---and he directed THE GIANT BEHEMOTH and GORGO.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Beast-20-000-Fathoms-Blu-ray/dp/B00ZJYVK88/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515969869&sr=8-2&keywords=beast+from+20000+fathoms

CityRaptor

Quote from: dragon53 on January 12, 2018, 06:33:04 PM
TRIVIA---in Ray Harryhausen's THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, the New York policeman who shoots the Rhedosaurus with his pistol and is then eaten, later reappears alive and shoots the Rhedosarus with a rifle.

He obbviously was so tough that he passed through the Rhedosaurus' digestive tract without a scratch.  ;D

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 13, 2018, 04:48:54 AM
Schleich already made one :
You know, I always thought of it as the Red Skull, but it really does resemble the Rhedosaurus.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

dragon53

TRIVIA---the trailer for Ray Harryhausen's classic THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS includes Merv Griffin, Vera Miles (PSYCHO) and Paul Picerni (THE UNTOUCHABLES tv series), but none of them are in the movie.

Trailer link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Era9LvANpXQ&t=4s

Merv Griffin.

Vera Miles.

Paul Picerni.

Rhedosaurus.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.