You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo ceratosaurus rip-off paint scheme?

Started by Atokensis, January 26, 2018, 05:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atokensis

Hello,

I recently bought this figure from everythingdinosaurs and was wondering if its the same for all the figures? The problem is the yellow part on the leg.

Should I e-mail them regarding this? :(

Katieraptor

Looks like it's the same yeah. If you wanna change it it'd probably just be better to paint it yourself.
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

Atokensis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3yOWBivIHc

Found a comparison of the two ceratosaurus paint schemes. I guess I got the bad one. :(

tyrantqueen

There is individual variation in every copy of Papo's figures.

Shonisaurus

Mine also has it. I do not think it's a manufacturing defect. Sincerely as I would say to a friend, I do not recommend that you buy another ceratosaurus, I understand that all or almost all are like that.

That yes something varied with the ceratosaurus with juvenile spinosaurus with box of everythingdinosaur and sincerely I was only with the juvenile spinosaurus. The ceratosaurus was with some "exclusive" paint I gave it to nephews and grandchildren.

I for the exclusive ceratosaurus sincerely would not spend any money, taking into account that the figures and practically the painting are totally identical, from my honest point of view.

Atokensis

I didn't buy the one that came with the juvi spinosaurus, but the ceratosaurus by itself. I guess I'll have to accept it as it is sadlys. :P

IrritatorRaji

My Papo Ceratosaurus had some kinda strong yellow paint too
http://dinotoyblog.com/2017/12/02/ceratosaurus-papo/

In regards to sending an email to EverythingDinosaur, I'd say there's no harm in doing so. I've done the same before, they're incredibly helpful and understanding.

Minmiminime

Papo paint jobs can be a bit erratic, though this is generally moreso in the later production runs! Mine is quite bright too, at first I wasn't sure whether it was a bit that had been missed, but it's the same on both thighs. Mine is, however, lacking a dark wash in this area, so somehow it doesn't seem to stand out as much. I just accepted it as part of this stunning figure!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Atokensis

Quote from: Minmiminime on January 26, 2018, 09:23:31 PM
Papo paint jobs can be a bit erratic, though this is generally moreso in the later production runs! Mine is quite bright too, at first I wasn't sure whether it was a bit that had been missed, but it's the same on both thighs. Mine is, however, lacking a dark wash in this area, so somehow it doesn't seem to stand out as much. I just accepted it as part of this stunning figure!

I see, so you're saying its better to buy them as soon as they're released rather than wait a year to buy it?

Reptilia

Yes, if you can it's better to get them immediately. I always bring up the Allosaurus as an example, if you buy it now what you'll get will hardly resemble the original runs from ten years ago. I guess it is something expectable in this hobby, and there's lots of people who just don't bother. To answer your original question though, I don't think you should email the seller, cause paint variations aren't something retailers are responsible for. If you know what kind of difference you're after you can ask before purchasing if the seller can check for you, and in my experience they always do. So now that you know it, if you are particularly bothered by your Ceratosaurus, you can contact a seller and bring the comparison video or a picture as an example of what you mean. That figure was released just a year ago, so some sellers might still have original stock leftovers. My advice is to keep the one you have, it's not a big difference or that distracting, the figure is still a top notch one.

RobinGoodfellow

I have a "first released" copy of the Ceratosaurus and it has the same color scheme ( although brown on legs is  less evident than your copy ):

:)

CityRaptor

So yes,  it is a running change.
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Variant#Running_changes

Talking about running changes in paint: Papo is not the only case. Safari has the same problem, especially their toobs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dobber

Quote from: Reptilia on January 27, 2018, 02:28:07 PM
Yes, if you can it's better to get them immediately. I always bring up the Allosaurus as an example, if you buy it now what you'll get will hardly resemble the original runs from ten years ago. I guess it is something expectable in this hobby, and there's lots of people who just don't bother. To answer your original question though, I don't think you should email the seller, cause paint variations aren't something retailers are responsible for. If you know what kind of difference you're after you can ask before purchasing if the seller can check for you, and in my experience they always do. So now that you know it, if you are particularly bothered by your Ceratosaurus, you can contact a seller and bring the comparison video or a picture as an example of what you mean. That figure was released just a year ago, so some sellers might still have original stock leftovers. My advice is to keep the one you have, it's not a big difference or that distracting, the figure is still a top notch one.

This, every Allosaurus I have ever seen "in the flesh" looks no where near as good as the original copies. I just got the Ceratosaurus a couple of weeks ago from Amazon and it has the same patches on the legs. The overall color is less bright than the original as well. I actually like that change, though.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Atokensis

Thanks for the response everyone! I feel better about my Ceratosaurus now.

Has anyone purchased the papo brachiosaurus recently and can share a picture? It was one of the next figures on my wishlist. Thanks!

Reptilia

The Brachiosaurus is one of those figures that shouldn't be significantly different from when originally released, I guess that if you look for pictures or reviews online you can find the model being quite consistent in all of them.

Reptilia

For what I can tell it appears that there are three noticeable differences between the originally released Ceratosaurus and the one coming in the boxset with the Young Spinosaurus:

1) The yellow patches on the legs, which have been already discussed here.
2) The glossy finish, which is present on the boxset version, while the first one was pretty much matte.
3) The articulated jaw, which on the original seemed to shut perfectly whereas on the boxset version does not completely shut.

Nothing really major like the drop in quality of the paint app that happens after years of production with some of their models.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.