You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Chimerarachne, a Cretaceous spider with a tail!

Started by Halichoeres, February 05, 2018, 05:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Another incredible Burmese amber find. It was already supposed that spiders evolved from tailed arachnids, but it was thought that they would have been exclusively Paleozoic. To find one in Cretaceous amber shows that they persisted longer than anyone thought and even raises the remote possibility that a tiny species or two might still persist in southeast Asia.

Paper (paywall): https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-017-0449-3

BBC write-up: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42945813

fossil:
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

WarrenJB

The abdominal tergites remind me of liphistiid spiders - which are also found in that part of the world. (Edit - bah! The Beeb beat me to it.) Though overall, and especially noticing the wee pedipalp pincers in the illustration, it really resembles the Thelyphonida vinegaroons too. Chimerarachne indeed!

Ravonium

Quote from: WarrenJB on February 05, 2018, 06:25:18 PM
it really resembles the Thelyphonida vinegaroons too.

Yep, that's what I thought when I first saw the amber specimen as well. I wonder if the tail would have been used in a similar way as well (as a sensory organ).

Anyways, thanks for sharing. This is definitely one of the more interesting arthropod specimens found in the last few months, even in terms of amber specimens, which are nearly, if not always beatifully preserved.

Megalosaurus

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

amargasaurus cazaui

Have the PDF of this, if anyone wants it emailed drop me a pm with your email and I will send it along to you
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.