News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Finding Fossils?

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, July 28, 2012, 11:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

I collect fossils, but all so far have come from either eBay or museum gift shops. I was wondering about what it would take to find my own. I'm not sure about the legal status of just picking up fossils without permission. Does anyone know what it takes to be able to collect some legally? Thanks.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SBell

Stay out of Saskatchewan and Alberta. In the former, all collection is illegal without a permit. In the latter, it is permissible on certain Lands, but illegal to remove them from Alberta without permits.

In many states, collection on private property is often completely allowed--but not in any park or managed area (again, as always, without permits).  Different countries also have different laws. Basically, check with the laws wherever you plan on looking FIRST, before collecting. In many places, ignorance of the law is not enough to protect you from some pretty harsh fines (I think the Alberta ones can range into the 10s of thousands of dollars in fines for small infractions).

Pachyrhinosaurus

Thank you for the informtion. I'll have to look up laws for my area. I think it is legal to take from certain places. I wouldn't have a problem about leaving the state though, since nice trilobites have been found in the same county as I live in.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.