You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Archaeooides is probably a metazoan

Started by Halichoeres, March 03, 2018, 09:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

There are a bunch of small, roughly spherical fossils known from the Early Cambrian, which have been interpreted as possible metazoans, although traditional techniques can't definitively exclude other hypotheses. This paper uses a bunch of CT scans to argue that they are diapaused embryos of a metazoan, although they're probably too early in development to be sure what kind. Really cool study.

Open access (pdf): https://gsw.silverchair-cdn.com/gsw/Content_public/Journal/geology/PAP/10.1130_G40081.1/1/g40081.pdf?Expires=1520204732&Signature=Yg8dqv39XxCe05OQOnJyKFmGGn1KTHqEVgMBHwVD~Tl0oufG~BpAUsZH1OHs6EdfSDOFmKm0HCtxUFlt54pYCwDeoba7QjEmYBCF-Q0MCjtnk7nvBMATKt6NAaIX2cP-WTniZ6olOTAsgTxn~Rfe81yMoWGOgBC77fqVCVWIf5XwnPT5HpGfXkLGHameWCFy4e-MpmUiH-OZO1A8oJeLVWaR8cxXH2zD-riQ5-pb~4QaZItWBpXik6yU4ml9peSd7Kt~A4FlK51w~Jvaioi~QIDZCeXok6CdvAYuk2bNfmym3tGheAQ1HjK-X8hL5Ls6XVTsbOgZt7JlyNQQmqHGbQ__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIUCZBIA4LVPAVW3Q
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures