News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

My only concern as of right now is balance. If they don't include a base or stand (or make a well-balanced figure), it will easily tip over or warp, especially with that pose. Likely will be choosing Kiss over this figure.
An oversized house cat.

Concavenator

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 08, 2022, 11:20:47 PMI asked Eofauna about its stability and they replied to me saying they will be including a removable base.

Lynx

Thank you! That is very good news.
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Halichoeres

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 10, 2022, 01:08:35 PMavatar_Lynx @Lynx

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 08, 2022, 11:20:47 PMI asked Eofauna about its stability and they replied to me saying they will be including a removable base.

I hope they do that with all their bipeds in the future!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 10, 2022, 03:07:58 PM
Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 10, 2022, 01:08:35 PMavatar_Lynx @Lynx

I hope they do that with all their bipeds in the future!

I bet they will. Between the lips and the base it looks like Eofauna have learnt from their Giganotosaurus.

On to the removable base, we'll see how it looks like, but I'd personally prefer an acrylic transparent rod like those PNSO and Rebor include. A base is not necessary, the rod also does the job while being less obstrusive and cheaper to produce.

jc_4130

The price to pay for an 'accurate' Tyrannosaurus is that it will probably end up being more tame looking than previous interpretations (and the preview model seems to confirm that).  So it may not be as pleasing to the eye.  Which I am totally fine with!  What I love about Eofauna is that I can look at their figures and feel like I am learning something.

We will see about the pose, paint and the jaw but I have a hard time believing any of those will be dealbreakers for me.

Halichoeres

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 10, 2022, 04:38:24 PMOn to the removable base, we'll see how it looks like, but I'd personally prefer an acrylic transparent rod like those PNSO and Rebor include. A base is not necessary, the rod also does the job while being less obstrusive and cheaper to produce.

Yeah, I'm curious about that. I probably won't buy this figure regardless because it's a Ty***nosaurus, but I want to see what they're doing for a base. Something like what the BotM theropods get would be only a little more expensive and visible than the acrylic rods that PNSO uses.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: edu on November 10, 2022, 11:30:11 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on November 09, 2022, 03:15:48 PM
Quote from: edu on November 09, 2022, 02:13:10 PMThe pose looks bland, the open mouth looks a repetition of the never dying roaring theropod trope, it doesn't look bulky enough, the muscles around the arm look strange... first Eofauna figure i don't like at first sight. I'll have to see the final product but... I am looking right now for Rebor's Kiss.

I had the opposite reaction, it looks like one of the most convincing tyrannosaurs I've ever seen.  It's still early and we haven't seen the whole thing yet.  Hang in there because we are so conditioned to looking for JP flavor and personality in our tyrannosaurs I think having something that actually looks like a plausible animal is a bit of a shock to the system.

But for me that pose is precisely the oposite to a shock. The roaring thing is so boring, and something a real animal would have seldom done. I would even say that, thinking on phylogenetic bracketing, it's not even a very probable type of vocalization a tyrannosaurus would have done.
Well, we will have to wait for the final product.

Birds might not "roar" but they definitely open their mouths wide to vocalize.  It doesn't matter if they could technically roar or not, they might have even opened their jaws without even making any sound simply to display their dominance and show a rival that they were bigger etc

They definitely opened their mouths often, much evidence has been found regarding face biting behavior.  Yes, the closed mouth thing needs to be done more, I absolutely agree.  But I'm not going to bash eofauna for producing something that has proven to be more commercially viable. 

My wish would be something similar to what rebor did with their sabertooth cat last year.  Because of the way these molds are designed the lower jaw is always molded as a separate part.  Either make two versions with no seams one open and one closed and different color schemes (YES!).  OR release one with two lower jaws one open and one closed.  The movable jaw is no good here because it would eliminate the cheeks.  That look is not only realistic but would be something I haven't seen before.

It makes sense that so many companies go with the opened jaws because the most eye catching thing about these animals, besides their sheer over-all size, was how incredible massive their heads and jaws were.  By comparison, how big would a Komodo dragon's head have to be relative to it's body size to compare with a T-rex? 

jc_4130

Even if it is cliche, I support the open jaw, especially for predators.  IMO the model should show the major features of the animal. For a big carnivore that most certainly includes the mouth and teeth.

Over9K

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on November 14, 2022, 08:29:49 PMMy wish would be something similar to what rebor did with their sabertooth cat last year.  Because of the way these molds are designed the lower jaw is always molded as a separate part.  Either make two versions with no seams one open and one closed and different color schemes (YES!).  OR release one with two lower jaws one open and one closed.  The movable jaw is no good here because it would eliminate the cheeks.  That look is not only realistic but would be something I haven't seen before.

W-Dragon has gone this direction recently, offering their latest two Tyrannosaurs with alternate exchangeable heads, one open, one closed. I could see that becoming more common, provided it's executed well.

Sim

Man, that W-dragon Tyrannosaurus is ugly.  I'm going to try to forget I saw it.  These companies that seem to want to make Jurassic Park figures so much lack an eye for making realistic prehistoric animals.

As for Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus, I'm impressed by the lack of feathers.  And since they have planned to give it an articulated jaw I don't think one or two people asking them not to will change their mind.  So maybe be prepared for it to have one.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Sim on November 15, 2022, 08:30:39 PMMan, that W-dragon Tyrannosaurus is ugly.  I'm going to try to forget I saw it.  These companies that seem to want to make Jurassic Park figures so much lack an eye for making realistic prehistoric animals.

As for Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus, I'm impressed by the lack of feathers.  And since they have planned to give it an articulated jaw I don't think one or two people asking them not to will change their mind.  So maybe be prepared for it to have one.

I'm an Eofauna fanatic because I believe that they revolutionized this hobby 5 plus years ago with their mammoth.  Look at what PNSO and everyone else was producing before Eofauna's mammoth and look at what has happened since.  EVERYONE, has had to step their game up and and some companies have completely struggle to keep up.  Eofauna changed the game with their computer generated, science based, forensic adding muscle, ligaments,and fat to actual measured skeletons approach.

I'm going to buy at least two of these because I don't normally like their factory paintwork on the dinos, altasaurus and maybe diplodocus being the exceptions.

So yeah, I might not be thrilled with an articulating jaw but it won't stop me from supporting their efforts because I truly appreciate what this small company has done to bring these toys from fun approximations to scientifically researched CAD representations of what the real things most likely looked like...

Bread

I apologize on reviving this thread but I felt it was needed.

On June 12th, Eofauna posted this:

I've noticed Eofauna tries to post anything on their figures or the research put into them. Could we be expecting a large sauropod like Bruhathkayosaurus or this genus itself?

I didn't want to put this in the 2023 news as this is just speculation and that thread has been appearing lately without any news information regarding the Tyrannosaurus release date.

Samrukia

Quote from: Bread on June 26, 2023, 06:58:29 PMI apologize on reviving this thread but I felt it was needed.

On June 12th, Eofauna posted this:

I've noticed Eofauna tries to post anything on their figures or the research put into them. Could we be expecting a large sauropod like Bruhathkayosaurus or this genus itself?

I didn't want to put this in the 2023 news as this is just speculation and that thread has been appearing lately without any news information regarding the Tyrannosaurus release date.

probably the best answer is hidden in the website address, i dunno  ;D

i doubt it honestly, the Eofauna is not just about figures, isn't it

Bread

Like I said, Eofauna, on their instagram, post mainly research regarding their figures. Has been like this for a while.

Halichoeres

I think this is just them promoting their paper, not hinting at future products. I could be wrong. Some titanosaur down the line wouldn't surprise me, but Buhathkaysaurus specifically would surprise me because we know almost nothing about it.

Bread

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 29, 2023, 12:32:39 PMI think this is just them promoting their paper, not hinting at future products. I could be wrong. Some titanosaur down the line wouldn't surprise me, but Buhathkaysaurus specifically would surprise me because we know almost nothing about it.
Possibly, and the reason I thought this was "eluding" to a figure of this genus was the fact that they rarely post things that do not correspond to a figure they're not working on. Lately it has always been regarding the Tyrannosaurus, or their previous releases.

I thought I'd share but also keep it in this discussion thread as it was an annoyance to keep opening the new for 2023 thread.

Concavenator

In this video, minute 3:18, A @Andysdinosaurreviews says avatar_Dan @Dan told him to tell that Eofauna will be revealing their Tyrannosaurus sometime this month.

suspsy

I hope this proves to be true.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: