News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

I shall be highly obliged if Eofauna team sculpt an Afrovenetor, the megalosauroid thropod (with lips) roamed northern Africa, in the Bathonian stage of Middle Jurassic, to accompany the fantabulous and accurate Atlasaurus which also belonged to the same stage and place. This theropod is really underrepresented and the one belongs from CollectA is really far from satisfactory. I know they tend to bring underrepresented prehistoric figures in front of us. So this little request is from me to them.

Concavenator

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 10, 2019, 12:13:48 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on December 09, 2019, 11:06:58 PM
Just ordered my Atlasaurus from alcaiceria. I'm very excited to finally have this beauty  :D Although I can't open it until the 6th of January  :P

It's good to have that Christmas spirit. What better day of the year than to keep a gift on the most magical day of the year on December 6 on the "Three Wise Men of the East" day? :D

Haha, you're right!  ;D That day is always very much anticipated   8)

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

With the latest findings of the cranial anatomy, lips in theropod is really an anatomical inaccuracy. The lower law is narrower than the upper jaw and shut tightly and fits well within the upper jaw making the positioning of lips impossible. Hence those who are arguing for lips should be able to accept the lipless condition in most theropods especially the mega ones. Lips should obstruct from the dangerous overbite theropods often made to their hunts. Carr et al.(2017) already has disproven the presence of lips in D.horneri after examining the facial soft tissue, instead indicated the presence of tough keratinous tissue much like that of crocodilians having no indication of labial gland like structure of the squamates.

Please share your point of views regarding this issue.

austrosaurus

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on March 29, 2020, 08:31:37 AM
With the latest findings of the cranial anatomy, lips in theropod is really an anatomical inaccuracy. The lower law is narrower than the upper jaw and shut tightly and fits well within the upper jaw making the positioning of lips impossible. Hence those who are arguing for lips should be able to accept the lipless condition in most theropods especially the mega ones. Lips should obstruct from the dangerous overbite theropods often made to their hunts. Carr et al.(2017) already has disproven the presence of lips in D.horneri after examining the facial soft tissue, instead indicated the presence of tough keratinous tissue much like that of crocodilians having no indication of labial gland like structure of the squamates.

Absolutely the wrong thread and time to start such a divisive discussion, but please read the excellent blog posts by Mark Witton, Scott Hartman and other industry professionals about why the findings of Carr et al are flawed and the majority of paleontologists consider lizard-like lips to be the correct interpretation for most (if not all) theropods.

Smilodon P.

Quote from: austrosaurus on March 29, 2020, 08:42:16 AM

Absolutely the wrong thread and time to start such a divisive discussion, but please read the excellent blog posts by Mark Witton, Scott Hartman and other industry professionals about why the findings of Carr et al are flawed and the majority of paleontologists consider lizard-like lips to be the correct interpretation for most (if not all) theropods.

Although the question of the existence of lips in dinosaurs is the subject of discussion, does anyone participate in the Tetzoo Facebook page to talk about the critics made of the book "Theropods" by Eofauna? In the main text of the blog, he had doubts about one or another information present in the work, BUT, in the comments he took a much more critical position, reporting the existence of numerous errors.

stargatedalek

A) The lower jaw is narrower than the upper jaw in a lot of animals, doesn't stop almost all of them from having lips.
B) What relevance would size possibly have in relation to this? "Mega" theropods were just as likely to have lips as any other animal.
C) Lips don't exactly obstruct the "dangerous overbite" of predatory lizards, some of which have some pretty large teeth themselves.
D) Lips were not disproven on Daspletosaurus, rather the paper shows evidence that the soft facial tissue were likely covered in a hardened skin much like the facial tissues of crocodilians. It then makes the incredibly bold assumption that because the facial tissues have the same external surface the teeth must also have been exposed similarly to crocodilians. Ignoring the many other times this feature has evolved convergently without the presence of exposed teeth.

John

I wonder what will be next from EoFauna...I wouldn't mind seeing their take on Iguanodon. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Sim

Loon

Quote from: John on March 29, 2020, 04:00:35 PM
I wonder what will be next from EoFauna...I wouldn't mind seeing their take on Iguanodon. :)

I'm kinda hoping they keep the dinosaurs to a minimum; though, I feel like the 1 dinosaur/1 mammal approach from the past couple of years might carry on. If it does, hopefully they don't go with a species as well-known and has as many decent figures as Iguanodon.

Shonisaurus

I would like Eofauna to make a paraceratherium. It is one of the few brands where the possibility of making this rare and gigantic prehistoric rhino would fit.

John

Quote from: Loon on March 29, 2020, 07:13:12 PM
Quote from: John on March 29, 2020, 04:00:35 PM

I'm kinda hoping they keep the dinosaurs to a minimum; though, I feel like the 1 dinosaur/1 mammal approach from the past couple of years might carry on. If it does, hopefully they don't go with a species as well-known and has as many decent figures as Iguanodon.
I am a dinosaur collector,so I can't agree that dinosaurs should be kept to a minimum.And EoFauna would do much better than just decent at anything they do,so even well known species as even Tyrannosaurus rex would be welcome to me.That being said,I wouldn't exactly hate seeing something rarer either.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Loon

avatar_John @John understandable. I should clarify I think "decent" is an understatement, and the recent Iguanodon figures by CollectA and Safari are very good. But, I guess I'm thinking about my collecting habits first and foremost, as I don't just collect dinosaurs and have a pretty good Iguanodon already. Though, I wouldn't be opposed to a larger version.

stargatedalek

Personally I'd rather see non-dinosaur, dinosaur, repeat, rather than mammal, dinosaur, repeat. If pachyderms are apparently underrepresented think about how non-dinosaur reptiles must feel!

Loon

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 29, 2020, 11:33:22 PM
Personally I'd rather see non-dinosaur, dinosaur, repeat, rather than mammal, dinosaur, repeat. If pachyderms are apparently underrepresented think about how non-dinosaur reptiles must feel!

I would like them at least to do a Columbian mammoth as well as their pygmy cousins at some point. Other than those two, I can't sayI have any other proboscideans I would like to see; though, I would buy pretty much anything Eofauna comes out with.

Shonisaurus

As the world is getting financially, I am sincerely content with any prehistoric animal even if it's super-known like the tyrannosaurus rex, triceratops (they might make one from my point of view) or a mammoth or smilodon.

Any dinosaur or prehistoric animal is welcome, considering the economic drama that is looming globally due to the frightening and tragic coronavirus that so many good people are taking from this world.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

I have seen the Blog posts of Witton and Hartman and have definitively convinced with the fully liped version in all theropods. I beg from Eofauna another classic/non-classic theropod figure and definitely with fully liped version (in 2020) which the extraordinary Giganotosars figure doesn't have.

I am very much interested in dinosaurs rather than the mammals and especially in the meat eaters rather than the herbivores/omnivores (sauropods/nodosaurs/hadrosaurs/ceratopsians/pachycephalosaurs/oviraptorians).

Lastly, more and more accurate meat eating theropod figures (at least one in 2020) from Eofauna,  rather than the therizinosaurs.

Any theropod (fully liped) figure from Eofauna will be welcome. Other groups are also welcome but after theropods.

Concavenator

Any dinosaur Eofauna releases will surely be a must have for me, to be honest.When I saw their Giganotosaurus, I thought: "Well, I gotta have that"  :)) despite already having the great Carnegie version. Their proboscideans are top notch as well, but I'm not interested in collecting prehistoric mammals.

I don't know how much the coronavirus situation has affected / will affect Eofauna as a company, but I really hope we'll see at least one new figure from them this year.

SidB

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , good observation. it's no longer a "given" that any company, including Eofauna, will issue many if any more figures this year.

Shonisaurus

Honestly, the economic crisis that is looming worldwide after this irreversible tragedy of deaths and those affected by the coronavirus pandemic is not sincerely very rosy. I am satisfied that the majority of the brands are sustained even if I have to produce figures of farms and horses to avoid the economic crisis to the detriment of the production of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals (the latter would be a luxury) and at most it seems to me that we will have to settle at best with lifelong dinosaurs such as tyrannosaurus, triceratops, stegosaurus, and apatosaurus.

John

*wrong thread*

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: