News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Very early birds may have had salt glands

Started by Halichoeres, March 06, 2018, 02:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Salt glands are a way for birds, especially those that take in a lot of salts in their food, or that have a small body size for which kidneys are insufficient to maintain osmotic balance, to shed excess sodium (and other minerals). This paper describes evidence for a salt gland in Iteravis, an early Cretaceous ornithuromorph:

Open access, at least for now: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-22412-8

Featuring some gorgeous fossil images:

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lanthanotus

Thanks for sharing and nice to see evidence for organic feature, though in this case it's no real surpirse given that a lot of modern reptiles and (all?) crocodiles have this feature (I think Tuataras aswell, but am not sure at the moment)  - so it probably is a very old trait maybe rooting back to the time when reptilian features in general where the state of the art in evolution to become more independent from a permanent liquid water supply.

Sinornis

It appears this fossil has it all, salt gland fossa, crop content, gastroliths and entire skeleton! Science certainly owes China a debt of gratitude! I even pulled out my Southern Giant-Petrel skull just to admire its tube-nose! Thank you for posting the link to the paper.

lightshot

http://avianmusing.blogspot.com/

Ravonium

So now we have evidence that dinobirds had salt glands? Now to put that on the list of bird features discovered in fossils...  ;)

Quote from: Sinornis on March 08, 2018, 07:35:00 PM

Exactly the type of bird I was thinking of when I saw this topic. Nice skull.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.