News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Flight of Pterosaurs

Started by Bokisaurus, July 29, 2012, 07:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SomeRandomPaleoNerd

Did i just see a flish from the future is wild?
"Imagine if you could travel back in time, to a time long before man"

Bokisaurus

Quote from: dinosauradventures34 on February 01, 2016, 10:07:29 PM
Yap you did ;D Abonus figure  ;)

Libraraptor

Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 05, 2016, 05:34:50 AM

Man, I really like that Flish, although it seems highly unrealistic that a "coldblooded" animal like a fish would ever evolve active flight.

CityRaptor

Well, it is set 200 million years in a possible future that will either lead to Cthulhu or Splatoon...According to the Wiki:
QuoteLike its relatives, the flish is cold-blooded, so it conserves body heat by means of hollow scales which insulate its wing muscles.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

Quote from: Libraraptor on February 05, 2016, 09:27:46 AM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 05, 2016, 05:34:50 AM

Man, I really like that Flish, although it seems highly unrealistic that a "coldblooded" animal like a fish would ever evolve active flight.

It could happen! Bluefin tuna use a rete mirabile to save heat, making them essentially endothermic. To a more limited extent, swordfish can dump heat into their heads to keep their eyes and brains warm during dives. I'm not sure anybody knew about that when The Future Is Wild was produced, though.

http://www.reed.edu/biology/professors/srenn/pages/teaching/web_2010/bluefin_tuna_MLSCTA_final/index.html
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I'd just like some nice, unique 1:40 pterosaurs for my collection. A tapajarid and a dsungaripterid would be nice. Maybe I'll also ask for a rhamphorychoid if I'm firmly on Santa's nice list. I know I might be able to get Kaiyodo's Tapajara somewhere, though not sure how I'll fill up those other two niches in on my shelf. What would really be nice is if Safari would release a pterosaur Toob that skewed more towards smaller species (though I'm sure an obligatory Pteranodon and azhdarchid would have to be represented as well).

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on July 17, 2016, 11:50:03 PM
I'd just like some nice, unique 1:40 pterosaurs for my collection. A tapajarid and a dsungaripterid would be nice. Maybe I'll also ask for a rhamphorychoid if I'm firmly on Santa's nice list. I know I might be able to get Kaiyodo's Tapajara somewhere, though not sure how I'll fill up those other two niches in on my shelf. What would really be nice is if Safari would release a pterosaur Toob that skewed more towards smaller species (though I'm sure an obligatory Pteranodon and azhdarchid would have to be represented as well).

The Colorata Dsungaripterus is around 1:30. Is that unacceptably large?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 18, 2016, 05:54:22 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on July 17, 2016, 11:50:03 PM

The Colorata Dsungaripterus is around 1:30. Is that unacceptably large?

Oooooh, 1:30's certainly not a problem for a model that pretty! I'm not super strict anyway; as long as the model doesn't immediately pop out as "over-sized" next to my others, then I don't mind.

Bokisaurus

PNSO Mini Nyctosaurus - finally a beautiful figure of this odd looking pterosaur!
[]

AcroSauroTaurus

Except the sail theory was debunked a few years ago. So I would've preferred it to just have the crest without the sail. Just my opinion. ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

What size is it, Bokisaurus? Can you compare it to, say, the Safari Pteranodon?

Halichoeres

I don't have a comparison pic, but it's about 1:10 scale (Nyctosaurus wasn't that big).

AcroSauroTaurus

My Pterosaurs (sorry for the poor quality photos, my rooms lighting is terrible)

Figures:
Schleich new Quetzalcoatlus
Safari Dinos Toob Pteranodon
Safari African Pterosaur
Safari Tupandactylus

Figures:
CollectA Quetzalcoatlus
Papo Tupuxuara
Transformers AofE Strafe and mini Swoop (retired)

Figures:
JP3 female Pteranodon and young (retired)
JPDinos young Pteranodon (retired)
JW Dimorphodon (retired)
JW all 3 mini Pteranodon and all 3 mini Dimorphodons (retired)

Figures:
Imaginext giant Pteranodon (retired)
Imaginext Pteranodon (retired)
Lego Dino female Pteranodon (retired)

Figures:
CollectA Mini Pteranodon and Quetzalcoatlus
I am the Dinosaur King!

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

This thread is missing a lot of newer figures!

CollectA Dimorphodon

PNSO Guidraco

Vitae Zhejiangosaurus

Bokisaurus

And this :)
Papo Quets and friends
[]

Shonisaurus

I credit that Collecta's guidraco is perhaps one of the best figures of toothed pterosaurs made to date if we exclude Safari's rhamphorhinchus, Safari's pterosaur and obviously Collecta's great dimorphodon whose figure is a genius in the history of animal figures prehistoric PVC. In fact it was awarded as the best prehistoric animal figure (not dinosaur) by the prestigious magazine Prehistoric Times.

ITdactyl

Didn't know there was a "mini Swoop" in that color variant.

Halichoeres

A mysterious "Criorhynchus" (=Ornithocheirus) from an unknown maker.

Shonisaurus

Of course this pterosaurus is "low cost", but despite this is a great figure from my point of view, it has hairs on the body, its teeth seem to be well painted, and the same its peak with that red strawberry color and White and the details of the "bat wings" metaphorically speaking are well done.

The red color of the eyes and the back details of the head denote that it is not a leading company and is the weak part of the pterosaur as well as the claws of its legs.

From my point of view it is a figure even much better than many well-known toy companies. It's "low cost" but it's nice in the background.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: