News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Updated T. rex skull - W.I.P.

Started by Dinoreplicas, April 02, 2018, 01:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoreplicas

Back with more stuff after an eventful week.
Tricky to find decent ref of the rex atlas bone (first cervical). It's missing from the Sue specmen but the Brochu paper includes some photos from 'Black Beauty' (RTMP 81.6.1,), there's also a few decent pics in the Osborn papers.

The Trix 3D scan was most helpful though, I had to rotate the view round the back of head and zoom in to see the form.

Dinoreplicas

Tyrannosaurus cervical vertebrae, sketched at 1/10th scale
Observations made from multiple references.

Row 1 - c1-c9 left lateral view view + c8 anterior view
Row 2 - 1st 7 cervical ribs - same orientation
Row 3 - c1-c7 anterior view
Row 4 - c1-c7 posterior view

Lone Trike

Quote from: Strick67 on April 16, 2018, 12:22:49 PM
I admire those of you who do your own casting or 3D printing, just haven't got the time/space to do myself right now.
molding and casting one of your intricate skull replicas with all the internal structures would be a tough job for sure! You would probably have to separate the internal bones from the external and reassemble it after casting.
And again great drawings of the vertebrae!
model kits available at: Instagram at LoneTrikeStudio Shapeways

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: Lone Trike on April 16, 2018, 09:32:59 PMmolding and casting one of your intricate skull replicas with all the internal structures would be a tough job for sure! You would probably have to separate the internal bones from the external and reassemble it after casting.
I've thought about how I might "modelkit-ize" the skulls but I've no experience of molding and casting and it's a daunting prospect.

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 17, 2018, 02:39:43 PMWow, this is serious!
Well, it's my most ambitious project to date and the research and production has been a bit more involved.
Got to admit I'm enjoying it even if some days my motivation wilts a bit.

Dinoreplicas

Needed to pick up the pace again so I've started poly modelling the skull. Method is to create a low-polygon model which is later subdivided for sculpting fine details. Still more drawing to do, especially for the foot but I needed a mode change to perk up my motivation a bit.

Giving the drawings a transparent background is the most unintrusive way to work with templates in Blender, the color-to-alpha filter in Krita https://krita.org/ does this easily. The main template drawing is 16 grid squares wide with each square representing 10cm. Blender lets me set the background image to 1.6m wide to precisely size the template.

Then it's just a case of adding polygons (using the template to position vertices) to try to best represent the necessary topology and topography. It takes a bit of adjustment, shuffling vertices around until I get the correct form. I try keep the polys at a particular size. The model will be heavily subdivided when it comes to detail sculpting and I want to avoid areas of too high or low polygon density.

Dinoreplicas

Roughed out jaw exterior surface. Made sure the pivot is at the correct axis centre (3 coloured circles) I can simply rotate the jaw on the X-axis (red) as I'm modelling to check the upper/lower fit which is pretty important for a model with an articulating jaw.

Dinoreplicas

Been thinking about the life bust.
As we're all aware, there's different ideas about the living appearance of Tyrannosaurus. I mentioned earlier that I think I should probably produce more than one version to reflect this. I'd prefer to keep it at two variants and no more, the sketch is my initial exploration.

I think I'm leaning more towards #1 and #2 as the evidence seems to be pointing away from feathered tyrannosaurs.
I want the restoration to have interesting details but be credible and based on what the experts think. I definitely don't want to directly rip off paleoart, although it's impossible to avoid some influence.

If anyone has any constructive input about how I can represent the spectrum of theories regarding T. rex appearance, let me know here.

Lone Trike

Quote from: Strick67 on April 20, 2018, 04:07:10 PM
I've thought about how I might "modelkit-ize" the skulls but I've no experience of molding and casting and it's a daunting prospect.
my experience with mold-making so far is, that you have to put a lot of planning and "engineering" into it to get a flawless and smoothly working mold. But on the other hand it´s also hard to completely mess up a mold! If the mold doesn´t work properly from the start, you will most likely be able to modify it a little bit afterwards to get it working (for example cutting additional vents). So I would recommend to just give it a try! If you need any help or advice, you know were to contact me :) I´m by far no expert either, but all my molds turned out to work just fine so far! So maybe I can help somehow!

Regarding your T. rex bust! Given the size of the animal and the climate it lived in, I think it´s highly doubtful it was largely covered with filament feathers. Maybe some vestigial or greatly reduced coverage, like I did with my sculpture. But that was also more an artistic choice, to make it look more interesting. In terms of scales the fossil record shows, that Tyrannosaurs had very small body scales, just 1-2 mm in diameter. So depending on the scale you want to work with, they probably wouldn´t even be visible! On the snout however, I think there are a lot of theories, but nothing proved yet. So I would say, you can do what ever you like there :))

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: Lone Trike on April 23, 2018, 12:19:33 PMSo maybe I can help somehow!
Thanks, I'll keep you in mind if I ever try it.
QuoteI think it´s highly doubtful it was largely covered with filament feathers.
I largely agree, I did the #3 version mostly to work out my take on the 'fluffy rex'.
QuoteIn terms of scales the fossil record shows, that Tyrannosaurs had very small body scales, just 1-2 mm in diameter. So depending on the scale you want to work with, they probably wouldn´t even be visible!
I'm hoping to make the model available in six scales between 1:10 and 1:32. I've been studying the evidence for tyrannosaur scales but when it comes to scale models a little exaggeration is necessary though I'm sure you understand this.
QuoteOn the snout however, I think there are a lot of theories, but nothing proved yet.
Yeah I don't want create the impression that this model will be the absolute truth of T. rex but I would like to represent some of the debate which I why I'd like to do multiple versions. But equally important, I also want to produce figures that collectors might want to buy which is why I've asked the opinion of the forum.

Patrx

The skull is looking good! As for the facial integument, Mark Witton did a pretty interesting piece on that subject not long ago: Did tyrannosaurs smile like crocodiles? A discussion of cranial epidermal correlates in tyrannosaurid dinosaurs.

With that in mind, my vote would be something akin to option number one  :)

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: Patrx on April 23, 2018, 04:14:35 PMMark Witton did a pretty interesting piece on that subject not long ago
Yeah I've read it, It's a good counter-view to the Carr 2017 paper. I might make similar vertical scale patterns for the muzzle and lips of the #1 version.
QuoteWith that in mind, my vote would be something akin to option number one  :)
Noted, thanks.

Dinoreplicas

Base model for the palette bones and brain-case. Also formed the brain-case wings and transverse crest at the back of the skull.

Once I've added thickness to the outer skull I'll connect and merge the interior to form a single poly mesh. When that's done there's a few interior details that are probably better modelled at this stage rather than sculpted in later, mostly in the inside skull roof above the orbits.

There'a a palette roof that projects inward like a shelf from each maxilla and sandwiches the spoon shaped end of the vomer. When all conected I'll probably merge the area into a slab to simplify poly structure and put the detail back in at the sculpt stage.

Lone Trike

Quote from: Strick67 on April 23, 2018, 01:49:26 PM
I'm hoping to make the model available in six scales between 1:10 and 1:32. I've been studying the evidence for tyrannosaur scales but when it comes to scale models a little exaggeration is necessary though I'm sure you understand this.
Sure I understand! At the scales you mentioned, I would probably do the same. And there´s of course nothing wrong with adding some visual interest!

By the way! You sculpt in Blender, don´t you? Is it brush-based like zbrush? I´m just curios. I´m considering using it mostly for rendering, because it seems to have some nice add-ons for that purpose. And it´s for free of course :D

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: Lone Trike on April 24, 2018, 06:21:00 PMBy the way! You sculpt in Blender, don´t you? Is it brush-based like zbrush? I´m just curios. I´m considering using it mostly for rendering, because it seems to have some nice add-ons for that purpose. And it´s for free of course :D

Yes my 3D work is entirely Blender based. It has brush based sculpting and there's more than one workflow available.
I prefer sculpting with mouse rather than my Huion610 tablet (must get a tablet screen sometime).

I'm not saying it's as good as ZBrush but its capabilities suit me fine. There's a hefty learning curve with any 3D program and Blender has a few quirks that annoy some users of commercial software. However, as you know, it would cost you nothing but time and effort to try it. There's a lot of tutorials on the web (free and paid) and a decent community on Blender Artists - https://blenderartists.org/forum/ with some competent members ready with help and advice.

Dinoreplicas

After much pushing and pulling of vertices making some progress on the skull base-mesh.
Lower jaw just about done, more twiddling to do on cranium but it's getting to a state where it can be sculpted.

Mini Minmi

As someone with 2d art background and very little 3D experience, I am enjoying your step by step progress immensely. You seem to be putting a lot of time and effort in reproducing each detail precisely and accurately. Your passion shines through. Kudos! Keep it up.

Dinoreplicas

Thanks Mini Minmi, It's been fun to document my process and the feedback has been great do far. I'm trying to be strategic with what I show, if I documented every small step I think anyone watching would soon give up in boredom :))

Probably need to make a few tweaks when I hit the detail sculpt stage but otherwise I'm done with the skull base mesh. I'll make a UV map next to help with some render shots, for which I will temporarily join the separate parts into one poly mesh. The orange circle is a placeholder for the jaw pivot point just to make it easy to re-set the centre of rotation when I later separate the meshes.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: